unRaid on Asus M2NPV-VM (NForce4 AMD)

Greetings everyone,

I just finished building my first unRaid server. I selected the following components for it:

CPU: AMD Sempron 3000 , 1.6GHz, Socket AM2 - Energy Efficient series (35w)

Mobo: Asus M2NPV-VM - AM2 Socket - Nforce 430, 4*DDR2 800, 2x PCI, 1x PCIx, 1x PCIx16, 4*sata2 RAID -

2*PATA, GigE (Marvel), nVidia 6150 on board, TV out.

Memory: 2x512Mb DDR2 - PC-6400 800Mhz CL5

Case: ThermalTake Kandalf - black w/window

PSU: ThermalTake TT-W0089RI - 470W Active PFC 120mm fan

Additional items:

- Hard drive iCage for TT Kandalf and Armor cases with 120mm fan

- Sandisk Cruzer Mini 512Mb

I've installed the 3.1beta2 Basic, and I'm now waiting for my Pro license.

At this point, I'm using 2 SATA drives and 1 PATA. At the BIOS, the USB Flash disk is identified as a Hard drive.

So far, works like a charm. I'll upload pictures later.

Gilad

Thanks for the info!  I have a similar system in my Media PC.  It is an MSI K8NGM2-FID which uses socket 939 and DDR but otherwise very similar to your board.  I'm looking to upgrade it to a more powerful C2D system later and was planning on using the MSI board to upgrade my unRAID server.  Please do post more updates and if possible, run some performance benchmarks.  Thanks.

One less positive note - IDE clearing performance is horrible. Took around 8 Gb an hour (2.2 Mb/s). SATA drives were much faster. I didn't benchmark read / write perfomance to any of the drives yet, but I did notice that some other people had bad Clearing performances on their IDE drives, so that triggered this understanding.

• 1 month later...

I have this same mobo with a promise tx2 PATA controller.  I've got 2 drives hooked up.  1 Parity and 1 Data.

I installed the 3.0 release then copied the 3.1 beta2 over it and the network was working, however I was having other problems like my transfers would copy at 30MB/s then drop to 0 MB/s and back and forth..  So I reinstalled 3.0 then copied 3.1 onto it.  Now my network never works..

Is yours still working ok?

• 1 month later...

how did you get it to work?

i have same MB and boots perfectly but i cant see it on network

lights on nic port light up and ifconfig eth0 results in "error fetching interface information: device not found"

using 3.1b2

should i try 4.0?

or is there something that i need to configure at the prompt?

//tower in firefox results in me going to towerrecords