Starting My Windows VM With GPU Passthrough locally

cyberbobcity

So I have a Windows 10 VM in my Unraid server with GPU Passthrough of my 3 monitor system.

Right now I only use the VM when I'm gaming, which is only a few hours a week, so I shut it down when I'm done each time so that my dockers (Plex mainly) can transcode etc at full speed.

Since I only have 3 monitors, and the VM is off, the only way to start my VM is to login on my phone or another computer to start the VM.

What are people doing to start their VM? Are most people just having an extra monitor connected to unraid? Can you start the VM from the Unraid command line? Any other options?

I wonder if there is some way I can script a physical button to connect and start it up.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Please update us on this. I am all set to give up my bare-metal system and merge my celeron based Unraid box into my gaming system. What really worries me though is: since it is the only PC in the house: how can my girlfriend retain access to the system without me giving up the webinterface root password? Always on is not an option to me.

Please update us on this. I am all set to give up my bare-metal system and merge my celeron based Unraid box into my gaming system. What really worries me though is: since it is the only PC in the house: how can my girlfriend retain access to the system without me giving up the webinterface root password? Always on is not an option to me.

Not sure what you're asking. Please clarify.

Currently I have two separate systems (unraid and a win10 machine).

My Win10 desktop has two user accounts, so If my girlfriend wants to access the pc she only needs to press the I/O button, enter her password and is good to go.

I plan to merge both systems into one Unraid PC that runs a virtualized Windows 10 instance with device pass-through. Unraid itself would then be running 24/7.

Now the options to start Windows 10 become more limited to the none-techy:

-Windows VM is always on, but if someone were to shut it down

-Only me (with access to the Webinterface) will be able to turn the VM on

Has anyone thought of a more elegant solution to this?

The wake on land plugging for vms works really well.

I use it so my girlfriend can easily start opened. Just put a Wolverhampton app on her phone. Now she just switches on TV and presses button on her phone. Job done!!

Someone had an autotype issue....

Wolverhampton app?  That's my hometown, you from that neck of the woods then gridrunner?  :D

Was meant to be wol app lol. Hah no Im in Bristol so only about 100 miles. I must remember not to write on forums on my tablet or learn how to turn off autotype!!

Yeah, there's not many (tech) literate people in Wolves lol...

I passed through Bristol yesterday after visiting the in-laws down in Devon/Cornwall...

Archived