What cables do I need? (SAS w/ Norco 4224/IBM M1015/RES2SV240)

mikeybunting

What cables do I need to purchase to complete my new build? 

CASE: (1) Norco RPC-4224

MOTHERBOARD: SuperMicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O

SATA CONTROLLER: (1) IBM M1015

SATA EXPANDER: (1) Intel RES2SV240 (Includes:Six cables with 8087 (Mini-SAS) to 8087 (Mini-SAS) connectors (2

short and 4 long)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These? How many? 7? (Or does the RES2SV240 cables that are included along cover this?)

Monoprice 1m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36-Pin SFF-8087 Male to Mini SAS 36-Pin SFF-8087 Male Cable - Black (108189)

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-30AWG-Internal-36-Pin-SFF-8087/dp/B008VLHOR2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448448087&sr=1-2&keywords=SFF-8087+to+SFF-8087

Any other cables that I would need?

I could be wrong but I believe you will find the cables with the RES2SV240 will be all you need unless you need to go from MB SATA ports to the back plane in your Norco 4224.  To go from SATA ports on the MB to the back planes you would need reverse breakout cables that you plug in the SATA end to the MB and the SFF-8087 to the back plane.

That assumes your 4224 uses SFF-8087 connectors on the back planes like I have seen others post I don't know myself but it sounds likely from your post.  I am using the short SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables that came with my RES2SV240s to connect to my M1015s and as far as I know they are the same connectors and connections as on the long ones.

• 3 weeks later...

What cables do I need to purchase to complete my new build? 

CASE: (1) Norco RPC-4224

MOTHERBOARD: SuperMicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O

SATA CONTROLLER: (1) IBM M1015

SATA EXPANDER: (1) Intel RES2SV240 (Includes:Six cables with 8087 (Mini-SAS) to 8087 (Mini-SAS) connectors (2

short and 4 long)

I am looking into purchasing the norco 4224 and am confused with the backplane and therefor mobo requirements. Based on your build, I don't understand why you need both the raid controller and raid expander cards? Doesn't the expander card support up to 24 ports? That plus the 8 ports already on the mobo, why would you need more?

Sorry if I am missing something, still working on my understanding of the ins and outs of server builds and how they differ from a more basic home pc build with only 1 or 2 drives. Thanks for your help!

• 5 weeks later...