[Support] Linuxserver.io - daapd

@S80_UK, I am having almost the exact same problem as you, with a few differences:

- I am trying to connect with my iPhone 6 running iOS 10.2 -- more current hw/sw than the Soundbridge (mine died in 2009...)

- I have also tried to connect using the latest iTunes on Windows 10, and the same thing happens

- I do not even get the "Failed to set ownership on logfile" error that you are showing. My log simply goes from the "scan completed" line to the "taking off" line when I connect

I believe there used to be two versions of the daapd Docker for unRAID, but one stopped being maintained. I had been using the other version successfully, but started having problems when I switched to the LinuxServer.IO version. I believe I have deleted all legacy data from the previous docker, and have tried deleting / reinstalling this version a few times. I come back to this every few weeks in hope an update to the Docker will fix the problem for me  :)

I don't see anything obvious in the logs that would suggest daapd is crashing, even with log level set to Debug. But clearly it is crashing and restarting repeatedly as my phone tries to reconnect each time it comes back up.

If helpful my docker command line is:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="daapd" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -v "/mnt/user/Music":"/music":ro -v "/mnt/cache/appdata/daapd":"/config":rw linuxserver/daapd
797e19daba2f6c1977680451e14afd43f55a0826be1d860d370cd5c33880c940

Would love suggestions from the community on how to resolve this. Thanks!

ps - @S80_UK, if you are testing things at all, I have found that by disabling scan at startup in the config file, you can avoid the long wait for your library to rescan every time daapd restarts. Somewhat helpful for testing.

"But clearly it is crashing"

I would say clearly it isn't connecting rather than it is crashing

I suspect latest itunes update is the culprit

Sparklyballs has pushed an update to this. May or may not fix the issues.

traps: forked-daapd[11809] general protection ip:2b09d4a9521a sp:2b09d4b05740 error:0 in ld-musl-x86_64.so.1[2b09d4a51000+88000]

Still shows up in unraid log when I try to play anything. Been doing this since the docker was rebased.

Sparklyballs has pushed an update to this. May or may not fix the issues.

Thank you!

I was having this error where the music would randomly quit a couple minutes in.

[LOG] raop: ApEx Apple TV closed RTSP connection

[LOG] player: The AirPlay device 'Apple TV' FAILED

And this update fixed it.  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, I've installed this docker in the hope of being able to to stream my large music collection from my unRAID machine directly to my stereo via an airport express controlled by Apple Remote on an iPhone or iPad, rather than having to rely on Plex or Emby. I used the Linuxserver.io template when I installed and updated my /music directory to the correct path (/mnt/user/Media/Music) and the set my /config to my appdata folder (/mnt/cache/appdata/daapd). I then also edited the forked-daapd.conf file in order to update to the correct UID (default 99) and add my Airport Express name and password where required. Despite following these steps nothing seems to work, ddaapd can't search for the remote, and I'm getting all sorts of warnings and errors in my log. See below. Any ideas? Thanks!

-------------------------------------
_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Found user 'avahi' (UID 86) and group 'avahi' (GID 86).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32 starting up.
WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!

dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.

avahi-daemon 0.6.32 exiting.
dbus[238]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

[services.d] done.
Failed to set ownership on logfile: Operation not permitted

[ LOG] main: Forked Media Server Version 24.2 taking off

[ LOG] main: Built 2017-02-06 with: --enable-itunes --enable-lastfm --enable-chromecast --enable-mpd --with-alsa
[ LOG] main: mDNS init
[ LOG] mdns: Avahi state change: Client connecting
[ LOG] db: Now vacuuming database, this may take some time...

Loading service file /etc/avahi/services/sftp-ssh.service.
Loading service file /etc/avahi/services/ssh.service.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Failed to create IPv6 socket, proceeding in IPv4 only mode

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.107.
New relevant interface br0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 192.168.1.107 on br0.IPv4.
[ LOG] db: Database OK with 199 active files and 6 active playlists
[ LOG] mdns: Failed to create service browser: Bad state

[ LOG] raop: Could not add mDNS browser for AirPlay devices

[ LOG] cast: Could not add mDNS browser for Chromecast devices

[FATAL] remote: Could not browse for Remote services
[FATAL] main: Remote pairing service failed to start

[ LOG] main: MPD deinit
[ LOG] main: HTTPd deinit
Server startup complete. Host name is vulfTower.local. Local service cookie is 3790120478.
[ LOG] main: Player deinit
[ LOG] main: File scanner deinit
Service "vulfTower" (/etc/avahi/services/ssh.service) successfully established.
Service "vulfTower" (/etc/avahi/services/sftp-ssh.service) successfully established.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running into pretty much the same errors as zandrsn. Are we missing something in the config? 

avahi-daemon 0.6.32 exiting.
[services.d] done.
[ LOG] main: Forked Media Server Version 24.2 taking off
[ LOG] main: Built 2017-02-17 with: --enable-itunes --enable-lastfm --enable-chromecast --enable-mpd --with-alsa
[ LOG] main: mDNS init
[ LOG] mdns: Avahi state change: Client connecting
[ LOG] db: Now vacuuming database, this may take some time...
[ LOG] db: Database OK with 202 active files and 6 active playlists
[ LOG] raop: Could not add mDNS browser for AirPlay devices
[ LOG] cast: Could not add mDNS browser for Chromecast devices
[FATAL] remote: Could not browse for Remote services
[FATAL] main: Remote pairing service failed to start
[ LOG] main: MPD deinit
[ LOG] main: HTTPd deinit
[ LOG] main: Player deinit
[ LOG] scan: Scanned 200 files...
[ LOG] main: File scanner deinit
Loading service file /etc/avahi/services/sftp-ssh.service.
Loading service file /etc/avahi/services/ssh.service.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***
Failed to create IPv6 socket, proceeding in IPv4 only mode
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.2.
New relevant interface br0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 192.168.1.2 on br0.IPv4.
Server startup complete. Host name is NAS.local. Local service cookie is 2850765638.
Service "NAS" (/etc/avahi/services/ssh.service) successfully established.
Service "NAS" (/etc/avahi/services/sftp-ssh.service) successfully established.

• 3 months later...

Hi... looking for some wisdom on itunes/daap.

Currently running an unraid server with 6.3.5.

itunes forked-daapd apparently is running in the background. but my mac is not able to see it.
Shares in unraid are SMB-only.
Home sharing is enabled on itunes (12.6.1.25) and my mac is running latest Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.5

Has anyone had any luck making it work?

Thanks in advance

daap.txt

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

I install daapd, I see shared library on mac iTunes but, when I pair daapd with iPhone remote, I got library on iPhone without name (just iTunes logo) and I can't select it.

Can you help me ?

Thank you

Joanthan

Hi,

I use unraid 6.3.5.

I installed daapd with community applications.

I created file.remote (with advice name and 4 digit pin) and copied it to music folder.

log says :

[ LOG] remote: Read Remote pairing data (name 'ttt', pin '8817') from /music/tiphone.remote
[ LOG] remote: Pairing succeeded with Remote 'ttt' (id EAD31632-BA3C-4D2A-AC23-0559AD9B26C3), GUID: 2304A2D27F40B5B4

(ttt is iPhone name, only for test)

iPhone remote add only a logo without name and i can't select it (at the top right)

IMG_0195.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just as a heads up for anyone else trying to get this working, forked-daapd 25.0 seems to crash repeatedly when the iOS Remote app requests album artwork and the artwork is stored in jpg format -- artwork in png format works fine. It doesn't matter if the artwork is embedded in the audio files or stored as a separate artwork.jpg file in each album folder. I don't see any obvious issues in the logs after turning on debug logging and I haven't been able to find any crash logs anywhere in the docker container. I tried rolling back to forked-daapd 24.2 by pulling the 115 tag, but I couldn't get remote pairing to work there.

The work around I eventually came up with was to export each album's artwork and save it as artwork.png in each album folder. This works because forked-daapd looks for an artwork.png/jpg file in the folder before trying to extract any embedded artwork from the audio files, so the audio files can still contain embedded jpg artwork.

There have been a few artwork-related changes in forked-daapd since 25.0, so I was wondering if it's possible to build the latest source inside the container to test it out? I didn't want to open a new issue in the forked-daapd project without first checking if the issue is still present at the tip of master.

+1
Seems to be an issue with the daapd read/writes to cache.db used for remote clients, though iTunes clients don't seem to be effected (doesn't use cache as a guess).
Retune on android won't load the daapd library at all :/

Having just paired a new remote/phone, the process has changed a little (not sure as of which build), pin/code now goes on first line FYI.

1 hour ago, almarma said:

Hi,

I want to test out this docker and I found on the original instructions that the docker has a web interface at http://forked-daapd.local:3689/. When I click it it asks me for an username and password but I'm unable to find out which one should I use :(. Any help?

If I remember rightly the password used to be mt-daapd and the username was left blank, but my memory's a bit rusty and I don't use this software any more...

Edited by S80_UK
Typos
1 hour ago, Vynce said:

The default username/password for forked-daapd seems to be admin/unused, but there's no actual web interface there in 25.0. A lot of the commits since 25.0 look like they're related to adding a web interface, so the web interface instructions must be for that or maybe from a previous web interface that was removed from this fork (?).

That's perfectly plausible.  When the software was originally forked from Firefly (as it was then known, with much of the development up to then focussed on serving content to Roku's SoundBridge products) one of the less reliable aspects was the web UI.  Although I found it pretty usable, those doing the fork stated at the time that they had issues with the way much of the program was coded, citing memory leaks amongst other issues.  My recollection is that much of the web UI was stripped out when the fork was created.  I assume there's now been some effort into putting something back in place.  Looking at some old source code from around 2007-ish, I can see that the password that I gave was correct for the version prior to the fork.  Sorry for the misdirection.

19 hours ago, Vynce said:

The default username/password for forked-daapd seems to be admin/unused, but there's no actual web interface there in 25.0. A lot of the commits since 25.0 look like they're related to adding a web interface, so the web interface instructions must be for that or maybe from a previous web interface that was removed from this fork (?).

That's strange. I can actually load that link and I get a user/password login window, so something is loaded there. Strange that it's there if it's deprecated :(. And sad, because not everybody likes the console :(.

On 1/10/2017 at 3:41 PM, sparklyballs said:

"But clearly it is crashing"

I would say clearly it isn't connecting rather than it is crashing

I suspect latest itunes update is the culprit

Hi,

I am new to all this UNRAID and forked-daapd stuff. My mac mini which was running as itunes and plex server for the last 6 years decided to give up and I decided to go the UNRAID way for half the money.

Now I have set up everything nicely, plex running, sonarr, deluge, radarr, etc but only daapd gives me trouble exactly same as seanwalter said; as soon as I connect via remote app daapd just goes into a restart loop. It only happens when connecting via remote app. It happens independently from the remote device (iphone 8, iphone 8+, ipad mini 4). It is not the docker itself, no logs reflect any fault. I am a bit puzzled but would like to know if anybody found a solution to that?

Thanks!

After further investigation it seems like the issue with restarting of daapd is solely related to remote and remote app. I can see and control the server from my iMac without problems; streaming to the different airport express works fine. As soon as I access the iTunes server from the iPhone or iPad using remote app daapd goes into some kind of random restart loop.

Any suggestions?

Edited by ajscheid
Further testing
On 3/1/2018 at 1:48 PM, jonathanm said:

Have you tried the regular pairing method? It should still work fine.

Please, where is that "Regular method" and please, tell me where is it explained? I've been looking for that simple information for several days now and I'm missing that simple step.