[Support] Linuxserver.io - daapd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First time poster here; please be kind!

I have 2 docker apps running well, Forked-DAAP and Logitech Media Server (LMS).

LMS has the ShairTunes2 plugin which makes my Squeezebox players look like AirPlay devices and this works fairly well using iTunes to send music to my Squeezebox.

I am trying to get DAAP to recognise the Squeezeboxes as AirPlay devices and have edited the conf file thus:

# AirPlay/Airport Express device settings
# (make sure you get the capitalization of the device name right)
airplay "Family Room" {
        # forked-daapd's volume goes to 11! If that's more than you can handle
        # you can set a lower value here
#       max_volume = 11

I have also tried "Family Room 00:04:20:12:75:03" which is how the ShairTunes2 plug in reports the Squeezebox.

Neither configuration results in the "Airplay" devices being visible in Forked-DAAP. Unfortunately I don't own any real Airplay devices, however my Apple TV  and Chromecast audio dongle both show up as a devices in Forked-DAAP.

Is my configuration correct and should this work?

TIA

Edited by Wozzagonebush
19 minutes ago, Wozzagonebush said:

First time poster here; please be kind!

I have 2 docker apps running well, Forked-DAAP and Logitech Media Server (LMS).

LMS has the ShairTunes2 plugin which makes my Squeezebox players look like AirPlay devices and this works fairly well using iTunes to send music to my Squeezebox.

I am trying to get DAAP to recognise the Squeezeboxes as AirPlay devices and have edited the conf file thus:

# AirPlay/Airport Express device settings
# (make sure you get the capitalization of the device name right)
airplay "Family Room" {
        # forked-daapd's volume goes to 11! If that's more than you can handle
        # you can set a lower value here
#       max_volume = 11

I have also tried "Family Room 00:04:20:12:75:03" which is how the ShairTunes2 plug in reports the Squeezebox.

Neither configuration results in the "Airplay" devices being visible in Forked-DAAP. Unfortunately I don't own any real Airplay devices, however my Apple TV  and Chromecast audio dongle both show up as a devices in Forked-DAAP.

Is my configuration correct and should this work?

TIA

If the container is in bridge network mode, there is most likely a port that needs to be mapped. Google for which ports airplay use. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2018 at 6:06 AM, Jomp said:

It’s still broken for me, what is everybody else seeing?

Almost a year later, large artwork still seems to crash it 😥

I tried to build it in a Ubuntu VM,  but that’s turning out to be pretty hard..

Edited by Jomp
  • 1 month later...

It's a shame that this doesn't work, there have been a few updates so I was hopeful but it seems worse than before! Daapd is just so unstable the most I've managed to get it to play is 2 tracks before crashing, now it only manages about 5 seconds! It's always greyed out in the remote app and needs a reboot every time I want to use it and I have to reboot for it to show up in iTunes! And now all the playlists have disappeared! It did use to happily play internet radio all day, but no more it just crashes before I have a chance to select airplay speakers! So frustrating because if it worked it would be perfect for my needs and stop me having to have my iMac permanently running with iTunes all the time! I guess the dev doesn't have the time to fix it and I wish I had the know how I'd then offer to help!

1 hour ago, MothyTim said:

Daapd is just so unstable the most I've managed to get it to play is 2 tracks before crashing, now it only manages about 5 seconds

Try an experiment for me. Change the setup so daapd only has a few music files in its path, and see if those few files play ok. Then add a couple more folders, keeping track of what is in those folders, specifically if there are other files besides music files, like album graphics.

My suspicion is that daapd handles files it can't parse poorly, and instead of skipping them, it crashes.

• 4 months later...

Hi

Daapd suddenly stopped working on my unraid server.

I haven't updated or rebooted the server, but now there is no connection to port 3689.

Tried reinstalling Daapd, but same error.

What can I do?

Edit2:

Seems I fixed it by shutting down and deleting songs3.db and then restarting.

Edit:

Just checked the log and found this:

[ LOG] main: Forked Media Server Version 26.5 taking off
[ LOG] main: Built with:
[ LOG] main: - ffmpeg
[ LOG] main: - iTunes XML
[ LOG] main: - LastFM
[ LOG] main: - Chromecast
[ LOG] main: - MPD
[ LOG] main: - Device verification
[ LOG] main: - Websockets
[ LOG] main: - ALSA
[ LOG] main: - Webinterface
[ LOG] main: mDNS init
[ LOG] mdns: Avahi state change: Client running
[ LOG] db: Configured to use database file '/config/dbase_and_logs/songs3.db'
[ LOG] db: Now vacuuming database, this may take some time...
[ LOG] db: Could not VACUUM database: database disk image is malformed
[FATAL] db: Database version check errored out, incompatible database
[FATAL] main: Database init failed
[ LOG] main: mDNS deinit
[ LOG] main: Exiting.

Edited by Dacobi
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi...  I just thought I'd chip in with my expereince. 

I installed the daapd Docker a couple of months ago on my Unraid server to try it with my elderly Roku SoundBridge audio streamers. I still use them since they work extremely well, despite being 13 - 14 years old.  I work in consumer audio so use I multiple server programs and I have been using Twonky Media Server and AssetUPnP for some years.  Since Unraid went to 64 bit I have been unable to run the old Firefly Media Server which Roku used to recommend (it was 32 bit), but I always slightly preferred the user experience with Firefly over Twonky and was keen to get back to that. 

I had tried this daapd Docker in the past but without success.  I cannot say whether the issues that I had previously were down to the software, or perhaps my lack of experience with Docker, but this time around I set it up without issues, and so far it "just works" and appears very stable.  I have a reasonably large audio library (over 18,000 files, all ripped from CDs), and all well tagged.  I have had no issues related to poor tagging, large album art, or the use of Chinese and other Asian character sets (I have almost 3000 such files).     

I did have one strange problem - I had one more file detected by the daapd scan than by the other servers.  I found that it was picking up a duplicate file that had a filename extension that was not related to audio - something.tmp I think.  So daapd was looking in files other than those with expected filenames such as .mp3, .m4a, etc.  I just wonder whether the scanning of unrelated files might be tripping up the software for those users that have problems.  In my case, I just removed the .tmp file and the total file count from the scan was then correct.    

For what it's worth, I am not using daapd with iTunes or other daapd clients than my SoundBridges.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@trurl 

well from reddit  users unraid has sound card drivers  but never was resolved..

well then how do i do a windows vm  of daapd   as i googled  daapd  and there is now windows server for it  just a windows client....

as i need it to be controlled by the cell phone   like mpd client app for cell

• 6 months later...
20 minutes ago, saarg said:

I guess that would be the logical move, but we need to let this one live for a while until people notice. Or maybe just stop it from working so people notice?

Personally, I don't care what it's called, so long as I don't lose the functionality that I happen to use.  For me, that's streaming to Roku SoundBridge clients.  I've been using daapd in one form or another since 2006 when it was still called Firefly Media Server. 🙂

3 hours ago, S80_UK said:

Personally, I don't care what it's called, so long as I don't lose the functionality that I happen to use.  For me, that's streaming to Roku SoundBridge clients.  I've been using daapd in one form or another since 2006 when it was still called Firefly Media Server. 🙂

We have discussed it internally now, and we will not release a new container under the new name. Daapd is now maintained by a community member (our community, not unraid).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, saarg said:

We have discussed it internally now, and we will not release a new container under the new name. Daapd is now maintained by a community member (our community, not unraid).

Does that mean the existing container will stay on the final release of forked-daap and cease to be updated or it will just keep the existing name and still get updated from the new project?

Thanks, and I appreciate your efforts.

14 hours ago, DingHo said:

Does that mean the existing container will stay on the final release of forked-daap and cease to be updated or it will just keep the existing name and still get updated from the new project?

Thanks, and I appreciate your efforts.

It's building from the new repo.

• 4 weeks later...