No response from Tom on unRAID Server release 4.5-beta6

lionelhutz

To all the people asking for the "complaints" to stop, please realize that unRAID is not perfect and problems do exist....[bla bla crap deleted]

Did youi contact Tom DIRECTLY?

unRAID 4.4.2 is the last production or final release. Are you having problems with it? I just switched to this beta but was using 4.3.3 without any issues. Complaining about problems with a beta release like you are owed fixes is where I have a huge issue. It is a test release.

Go to the Limetech main web site.

Exactly what part about the unRAID descriptions there has not been met by 4.4.2?

Exactly where does it say that Limetech promises to release new features and fix bugs in said features in a timely manner.

I won't deny there are issues with this release. Tere are some issues with the production releases but more along the lines of the interface not accounting for certain conditions then actual bugs or broken features.  I'm just hoping Tom is working on a new version 5 of unRAID that opens up the UI. Then, some of the great support people here (like Weebo, Joe, BubbaQ) will likely blow you away with their add-ins you can get. Personally, I'm hoping a web based torrent server will be easy to do among others.

Everyone else, go ahead and make yourself feel better by complaining here.

Peter

Well I don't really care. I really don't have much further tolerance or respect for further complaint posts in the beta thread that was intended to address and help with technical issues. The people complaining about Tom not responding in quite a while and not yet fixing the problems in the beta release have repeatedly been asked to start a new thread to discuss that issue so that the beta thread isn't swamped in non-technical posts. Since Tom not using the forums is more of a forum issue the most suitable spot for such a thread is here.

In case anyone doesn't know, Tom decided that the next release would be something along the lines of having an open interface using a built in full web server. This is a major re-write of some parts of unRAID.

I wouldn't even be surprized if he's working with some of the people here but they're silent about it too because mentioning what is coming would just start more speculation and conjecture and complaining about not yet having something.

So, since unRAID has issues how about spelling out what is wrong with 4.4.2 since that is the last "finished" release? The 4.5 beta6 is a beta which is expected to have problems so when I find problems with it I don't call unRAID broken or unsuitable because it is expected.

Also, if you were running a business would you appreciate a bunch of people going on about how you're such a bad business operator? I bet you'd especially like that if they do such without bothering to contact you with their issues. Unless I missed it, I did not see anyone post where they had called or emailed Tom. I have tried to not make any comments on the how's or why's or when's of Limetech operations. How Tom runs his business is his own business. If I decide I don't like Limetech and unRAID as a company/solution then I am free to go somewhere else. Similar to the Seagate drive issues, I just post about the issues they have had without feeling the need to go on about the company. All companies do things you don't agree with.

I bought unRAID to use for network connected storage. It works perfectly for that purpose. I remember that it did crash on me once with no real reason in the last year or so but that happens with any computer. I'd like to be able to easily run other applications on unRAID instead of using a second Windows machine (which is already easy to run equivalent applications so I don' t want to spend much time figuring it out on unRAID) so future development would be nice. However, it does the network connected storage thing perfectly fine and has met if not exceeded my expectations there so I just don't have any reason to complain.

Now, if others have issues with 4.4.2 or previous production versions they should be contacting Tom.

If you feel a broken feature of 4.5beta6 is keeping you from purchasing a new license then you should also contact Tom and discuss the situation to him.

Peter

Well I don't really care. I really don't have much further tolerance or respect for further complaint posts in the beta thread that was intended to address and help with technical issues. The people complaining about Tom not responding in quite a while and not yet fixing the problems in the beta release have repeatedly been asked to start a new thread to discuss that issue so that the beta thread isn't swamped in non-technical posts. Since Tom not using the forums is more of a forum issue the most suitable spot for such a thread is here.

In case anyone doesn't know, Tom decided that the next release would be something along the lines of having an open interface using a built in full web server. This is a major re-write of some parts of unRAID.

I wouldn't even be surprized if he's working with some of the people here but they're silent about it too because mentioning what is coming would just start more speculation and conjecture and complaining about not yet having something.

So, since unRAID has issues how about spelling out what is wrong with 4.4.2 since that is the last "finished" release? The 4.5 beta6 is a beta which is expected to have problems so when I find problems with it I don't call unRAID broken or unsuitable because it is expected.

Also, if you were running a business would you appreciate a bunch of people going on about how you're such a bad business operator? I bet you'd especially like that if they do such without bothering to contact you with their issues. Unless I missed it, I did not see anyone post where they had called or emailed Tom. I have tried to not make any comments on the how's or why's or when's of Limetech operations. How Tom runs his business is his own business. If I decide I don't like Limetech and unRAID as a company/solution then I am free to go somewhere else. Similar to the Seagate drive issues, I just post about the issues they have had without feeling the need to go on about the company. All companies do things you don't agree with.

I bought unRAID to use for network connected storage. It works perfectly for that purpose. I remember that it did crash on me once with no real reason in the last year or so but that happens with any computer. I'd like to be able to easily run other applications on unRAID instead of using a second Windows machine (which is already easy to run equivalent applications so I don' t want to spend much time figuring it out on unRAID) so future development would be nice. However, it does the network connected storage thing perfectly fine and has met if not exceeded my expectations there so I just don't have any reason to complain.

Now, if others have issues with 4.4.2 or previous production versions they should be contacting Tom.

If you feel a broken feature of 4.5beta6 is keeping you from purchasing a new license then you should also contact Tom and discuss the situation to him.

Peter

None of which excuses a rude and ignorant post directed at someone with a perfectly valid opinion -  on the same matter you're so up in arms about.

This whole topic has revealed a nasty undertone to this forum and some posters on both sides of the fence.

On topic I also think your anger at people complaining about lack of support may be misdirected. What I feel and what I've read on the other forum thread is general concern that the project may no longer be being maintained as opposed to specific support issues around the beta being unanswered. No one wants to continue to run software that is in this unknown state or unmaintained. Opensource or paid for. History is littered with products that have fallen by the wayside due to inactivity.

I also think that people are passionate about this issue because they do enjoy and want to continue supporting unraid not because they're needy customers or personally attacking limetech.

The lack of balanced discussion around this whole thing has been astounding and it seems to have quickly degenerated into rudeness, borderline abuse and cheerleading. Again from both sides of the fence.

You people (erm... Lionel) keep confusing me with someone else. I am just commenting on how Tom is silent whatever happens in here.

My first comment on the beta thread was not even that; it was that a two word reply (after months of no post) doesn't "cut it" to the eyes of the uneasy clients. This is what I observed and I stand by it.

If they (the clients) are justified or not is another discussion, if Tom is justified (to not even show signs of life) or not is also a matter of another discussion.

PS. I haven't even used 4.5b6 (I am still on 4.4.2). Well in fact I tried it once to see if a new enabled driver works for me (and it does - thanks Tom - I am just not sure if I am going to use it after all).

I really hope the product goes forward and Tom prospers (I really do), but what I said (and still say) is that Limetech kind of sucks in its interaction with clients.

A client is a client. A whiner and a linux-wiz have both payed the same. You can't "choose" them.

The mathematicaly automatic (or Booba-like) reply would be "the current release works and will work forever so why complain". Practice shows that activity from the side of devs/maintainers is what keeps a product alive. I can give you MANY examples of perfectly working products (appliances, software, hardware) that nobody uses because thay are not maintained.

If you read between the lines, the whiners are in fact supporters of the product (this what some fanboys fail to understand). If those people didn't care, they would just have gone away (ok the product already paid price is a factor too) or anyway wouldn't bother making wake-up calls. Anybody thought of that?

• 2 weeks later...

I won't.

BubbaRAID will not work with it and next BubbaRAID will be when we are well in 5.X cycle (if not 5.0 itself). This easily means a couple of years. (I'd love to be falsified)

Sorry I just have one life (ironically enough this is possibly exactly what Tom probably said to himself :D).

Will probably be moving to other solutions (eliminating one more of my computers in the process) as I need to utilize my file server more than that (i.e. a file server and a couple of hacks gifted people make when they feel like it - I thank them for that btw). I am brewing something else, we'll see what happens, my unRAID license is always there for me.

Seems like not only do we have a new version (which is nice) but vastly more important is that Limetch LLC are now back and offering information.

That is the crux of every complaint in the previous thread and as has been shown as easily fixed by LLC feedback and support to the forum community, which is offering free community support for commercial Limetech LLC customers. This community support saves Limetech LLC a large number of man hours so it is only fair to expect a two way dialogue.

Long may that continue.

NAS although I'd say you usually are more "whiny" than myself, I'll have to be the whiny one this time. In fact I believe you "turned" way too easily (no offense).

I really hope for what you say to be exactly like that (and I was a prophet for saying a new beta will come soon and it did come a few hours after I posted that), but to be honest I am not easily convinced.

You see:

1) The new beta is really a minor update (take out the updates that happened to the OS itself, because of the months that passed since the last beta). Nothing to justify all this time.

2) A few (I suspect really few) replies by Tom in the last couple of days doesn't automatically mean that it will go on like that. History has shown that it happens exactly as I describe. A few days of involvement with users, then long period of no involvement. Won't easily forget the fiasco with the "friend that will help with the forum" (that became more invisible than Tom himself... maybe the guy is not even using unRAID any more :D).

The only thing that counts positive, is that Tom hinted on the progress of 5.X.

(and I'd love to see a non-beta 5.X release before 2011)

As always, I wish the best to Tom in his... adventure.

I am trying to give Limetech the benefit of the doubt. I dont want to continue negatively posting that no responses have happened when there have in fact been new responses.

All I want and all i ever wanted is regular forum feedback from the company I purchased my products from. If that happens then all is good with the world.

Its never been my intent to be whiny. I am a commercial user of a commercial product wanting forum feedback from the authors nothing more.

One thing is for certain though. As soon as the current beta makes stable I wont be beta testing anymore. The periods of inactivity are too long and it takes far too much time keeping track of nothing happening.

I am trying to give Limetech the benefit of the doubt. I dont want to continue negatively posting that no responses have happened when there have in fact been new responses.

Hope fanboys will remember that next time and give YOU the benefit of doubt. ;)

All I want and all i ever wanted is regular forum feedback from the company I purchased my products from. If that happens then all is good with the world.

I read you. Same here.

Its never been my intent to be whiny. I am a commercial user of a commercial product wanting forum feedback from the authors nothing more.

Same here, although both (well and all the others that reacted to inactivity) were pictured as such (whiny I mean, not commercial users). So for simplicity, I refer to us like that. :) I know what I am and what I am not, so a title doesn't bother me (as you see I have titles for the other side accordingly).

One thing is for certain though. As soon as the current beta makes stable I wont be beta testing anymore. The periods of inactivity are too long and it takes far too much time keeping track of nothing happening.

Same here. Maybe it is better for Tom to actually have closed betas (or betas between betas at least) with a team that he actually listens, there are people here able and willing.

In any case I am giving the same benefit, but "as a commercial user" (well put), I think I will be switching (unless there is enough reason soon enough, not to, or to get back).