HGST NAS 4TB $139.00 newegg

Beer40oz

Bought 2 of them on 11/26/2015 for $255 with Visa Checkout discount, bought 2 more 2 days later no Visa Checkout anymore so $280 for two. As already mentioned I am running these drives in my HP micro server for a few years now as well as in my QNAP NAS and also for me they are one of the best drives that is why there is hardly any discount on them.

Now to upgrade the parity drive on the movie server and install 3 more of them to increase the storage.

ANy idea how best to proceed with the installation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had 4 of these and 3 of the 4 have had major problems in my UNRAID system. I'm using Icy Dock 5n3 and i've had 1 drive fail a smart test and the other 2 become quickly unusable after a raid rebuild.

Could these have been a bad batch? Sure. that's possible. they preclear fine without errors, and the hitachi utility came back as fine on 2 of the 3.

They do run VERY hot though.

I've had 4 of these and 3 of the 4 have had major problems in my UNRAID system. I'm using Icy Dock 5n3 and i've had 1 drive fail a smart test and the other 2 become quickly unusable after a raid rebuild.

Could these have been a bad batch? Sure. that's possible. they preclear fine without errors, and the hitachi utility came back as fine on 2 of the 3.

These are the ONLY drives I use.  I currently have 13 of them in my array.  I have not had to replace a single one!

Also, mine run 32-36 degrees all day long, even during a parity check.

They were probably mishandled during shipping. It really doesn't take much to kill a bare HDD.

Neweggs packaging for hard drives has been top notch since they switched to bubble containers for shipping them.

My drives run a steady 32 degrees usually.

Yeah, those bubble sleeves are great, as long as they dont leave any extra space in the cardboard box.

I would agree with that.  I always get a box WAAAAAY to big for the contents and little additional packaging around the drives every time I've ordered drives lately.  So I only order retail boxes from Newegg they stand a better chance of making it.  Still had a retail box come DOA from them but the majority are fine.  SO I stay away from Newegg for HDD purchases most of the time unless the deal is just too good to pass up or it is in a Retail box.