Simple docker question

ashman70

So here is what has happened, I stupidly thought the bay that contained my cache drive was not working, so I pulled it, the server is now doing a rebuild on a 4TB drive I swapped out for a 2TB drive, I have put the cache drive back in but of course unraid likely wont acknowledge it until a reboot. Should I wait for the rebuild of the 4TB drive, or cancel it, reboot now, and restart the rebuild?

The rebuild is only 4.1% in and says its going to take another 20-21 hrs, I have no issues stopping it now. What would be your recommended course of action at this point to get the cache drive back?

Assuming I have put the cache drive int he right drive bay slot, I am 99.9% sure I have, if its in the wrong slot is that a bad thing?

1.Stop the rebuild, reboot?

Thanks, turns out I did have it in the wrong slot, after several reboots and some drive swapping its all good now, thanks for your help.

I have another question, right now I have a Pro license with only 23 drives, if I wanted to add two more drives on a separate controller card, whats the process in UnRaid, would I have to add the new drives one at a time, or could I just connect them, reboot and let UnRaid add them?

OK thanks, I am not into pre clearing my drives, if this server was for primary data storage then for sure I would do it, as its for backup, its ok if I lose a drive here and there, I have spares on hand to replace failing or failed drives.

If you don't preclear before adding an array drive, unRAID will take your array offline while it clears it.

I don't understand what that means. If I replace a 2TB drive with a brand new 4TB drive, UnRaid does that data rebuild and then its finished. What are you referring to?

If you add a drive (not replace) unraid has to zero out that drive before it can be added (process takes many hours) during which the entire array is unavailable.  Pre clearing zeroes out the drive but keeps the array up and running.

Additionally, a pre clear also lets you have greater confidence in the drive since it will read all sectors, write all sectors, and then read them all again whereas just clearing the disk with unraid only writes to the drive.