Using unraid for offsite backups

josh5565

Sorry if this question has been answered a few times but I couldn't find anything relating to my needs exactly.

I have been using Unraid for years as my media server. I am now needing it to do 1 more task. Currently for our offsite backups at our office performed by Backup Exec we copy the files to a WD passport drive and take it home weekly. This task is getting to be a little annoying so I am looking to automate the process. The offsite backup is roughly 2TB of data.

Does anyone have a plugin schedule uploads or that can recommend a program to connect to unraid via FTP or some other protocol to do this? I really would like to schedule when server will upload the data so it doesn't effect the bandwidth at our office during normal business hours.

• 3 months later...

I know this reply is a lot late from the original ask but I have one answer that might help someone else searching...

I do all my scheduled backups using Syncback Free http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html running in a windows 10 VM. It uses task scheduler rather than a service to schedule each backup task, and connects to ftp and other networks. I'm doing an offsite backup via VPN to a network share, and via FTP to another site as well. It has run flawlessly under XP, 7, and win 10 for over 2 years. ... It will also email you logs of each backup completion of failure whenver a backup is attempted.

The first backup, ideally, you will do with the machines next to each other connected on the same LAN - that's a lot of data to move over a WAN connection. But after that, the program searches for changed files and only copies what's needed. It's not as efficient as rsync as far as I know, but I don't think rsync will work over ftp  (please correct me if I"m wrong!)

cheers