s3 suspend, WOL, no video

bblue

I have s3(STR) suspend working just fine, and the system wakes up no problem with a WOL magic packet, or a press of the power button.  But there's no console video, and there doesn't appear to be any video related re-init options in the motherboard BIOS.  The console keyboard (USB) works fine after WOL.

I've seen this issue mentioned a few times here, but not with any specific resolution.  Is there one?  Or are there steps to try and isolate if it's hardware or software?  The motherboard is Gigabyte EP43-U3DL, and video is an inexpensive EVA (NVidia 8800 chipset).  It seems to work fine in all other aspects.  I'm using the unRaid 4.5b6 build.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

--Bill

A quick google search of 'Nvidia 8800 sleep' nets a lot of posts about similar problems under Vista.  I realize the OSs are completely unrelated, but I would consider the video card to be low-hanging fruit anyway and see if swapping it out solves the problem.

No problem getting to the unRaid web interface or telneting-in from a networked computer after it wakes up?

agw

A quick google search of 'Nvidia 8800 sleep' nets a lot of posts about similar problems under Vista.  I realize the OSs are completely unrelated, but I would consider the video card to be low-hanging fruit anyway and see if swapping it out solves the problem.

Hmm, interesting.  I've got to go to Fry's in a bit so I'll try something else.  Maybe a low cost ATI or something.  I have a bunch of extra cards but they're all PCI and this board uses PCI-e for video.  Drat!

No problem getting to the unRaid web interface or telneting-in from a networked computer after it wakes up?

None.  New telnets, http's start right up, and telnet sessions that were in use continue right where they left off.  Hard drives come up all on, though.

--Bill

I picked up a Diamond (ATI Radeon HD 4350) video card today and tried it instead of the EVA NVidia chipset card I had installed.

NO difference.  At all.  It makes no attempt to come back up after the WOL.

So, that and other similar reports with a variety of devices, leads me to believe that this is really a kernel/driver problem. 

There is a vga_reset program and a couple of others which may cause a driver reset in some of the kernel module packages, but there are no packages for the unRaid version of the kernel.  There's a kernel-modules-smp-2.6.27.31_smp-i686-2.tgz for 12.2 Slackware and a kernel-modules-smp-2.6.29.6_smp-i686-2.txz for 13.0, but both of those packages have .ko kernel files that are of an incompatible format to ours.

Is there someone with a full sized smp kernel they compiled that would have (or could have) compatible modules who could make up a full driver package for me to try?  It looks like at least one vga related module might fix/patch the no video issue, and two others (usbserials.ko and ftdi-serial.ko) might get the serial port over USB working.

Any info appreciated.

--Bill

I have experienced the same with onboard GMA950, although I don't care since it's a headless server. Only when connected to a monitor to do network related maintenance (which is kinda hard over SSH) I find it annoying having to reboot when the server accidentally goes to sleep.

The way most users use unRAID, I don't really see this as a big issue, but certainly find it annoying in some very rare moments.

Do you have a link to somewhere with a compiled-for-Slackware version of it?

Nope.  Just install the dev kit and gcc... compile it... copy the necessary files to a persistent location, and reboot to get rid of the dev kit.

Ok, thanks.  I'm currently installing the complete Slackware 13 distribution on an external e-SATA drive which I can use either on the dedicated unRaid server as an alternate boot, or on a dedicated machine.  So one way or the other...

--Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a link to somewhere with a compiled-for-Slackware version of it?

Nope.  Just install the dev kit and gcc... compile it... copy the necessary files to a persistent location, and reboot to get rid of the dev kit.

Ok, thanks.  I'm currently installing the complete Slackware 13 distribution on an external e-SATA drive which I can use either on the dedicated unRaid server as an alternate boot, or on a dedicated machine.  So one way or the other...

I've compiled s2ram, and with the -f (force) and -p (post video) options the monitor comes back up when operation is resumed with a WOL packet.

I noticed once before before video was working on resume (just suspending with the "echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep"), and again now with s2ram, that as long as the time between suspend and resume is low, something below 16 hours or so everything works as it should.  But if the suspended time is more in the 24+ hour range the OS no longer appears to be operational on resume.  The WOL packet wakes the system up with all drives spinning, but there is no video or network connectivity, and the system does not respond to a console keyboard ctrl-alt-delete to reboot.  After a hardware reset everything reboots and comes back just fine.

AFAIK, as long as RAM is powered and there's been no AC interruptions there shouldn't be any time limit involved.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this?

--Bill

There should be no time limit.  I've gone weeks in S3 and resumed with no problems.

My bet is on the PSU.  If you have a spare PSU, I'd swap out the PSU and test it with a different one.

Ok, I could try that.  This one is a new Corsair 650TX and seems completely stable when the unit is on for days at a time when no suspend is in play.  I do have an extra 550TX here, but am not sure it will be sufficient to power up 13 drives.  Will give it a shot.  Thanks.

--Bill

There should be no time limit.  I've gone weeks in S3 and resumed with no problems.

My bet is on the PSU.  If you have a spare PSU, I'd swap out the PSU and test it with a different one.

Ok, I could try that.  This one is a new Corsair 650TX and seems completely stable when the unit is on for days at a time when no suspend is in play.  I do have an extra 550TX here, but am not sure it will be sufficient to power up 13 drives.  Will give it a shot.  Thanks.

I put the 550TX in last night, and it did power up with all the drives, no problem.  Just took it out of suspend at 21 hours and it came right up as it should.  Next will be a longer suspend time to verify.

Odd too, the 650TX drew .04 watts during suspend.  The smaller 550TX draws .06 watts during suspend.

--Bill

Can this (whatever it is you are talking about) be done on the unraid machine?

Or does one need a separate slackware installation for this?

Or, if some of you guys have compiled s2ram for unraid already, then can you possibly host the package somewhere?

Purko