How to get ssh running?

detz

SSH is enabled by default.

Hmm, then something is broken because I can't ssh in.

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.15 port 22: Connection refused

Telnet works fine.

Maybe this?

key_load_public: invalid format

Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key

Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key

Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ed25519_key

Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key

sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

Remove all plugins and reboot.

Considering I spent hours yesterday setting them up I'm probably not going to do that.  :o  ;)

Well you did it incorrectly, as those are the ones causing your issue.

Wow, thats an asinine statement, thanks.  ::)

I'm running two plugins, pasting their urls and installing them is hard to mess up. Setting up each app with custom settings isn't going to affect the box in any way so you're statement is wrong. Thanks for nothing.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Remove all plugins and reboot.

Considering I spent hours yesterday setting them up I'm probably not going to do that.  :o  ;)

Well you did it incorrectly, as those are the ones causing your issue.

Wow, thats an asinine statement, thanks.  ::)

I'm running two plugins, pasting their urls and installing them is hard to mess up. Setting up each app with custom settings isn't going to affect the box in any way so you're statement is wrong. Thanks for nothing.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

The first thing anyone is goung to tell you, is to run it in base configuration. If you're not willing to try troubleshooting step number one then you will find you're on your own.

Best of luck figuring out on your own how those plugins messed up an install.

You don't have to remove the plugins. Just select SAFE mode from the boot menu and unRAID will start without the plugins. Then you can see if it works when the plugins aren't involved.

Perfect, I figured there would be a method that didn't involve undoing hours of work. Thank you.

For clarification I'm not mad at the suggestion and I'm willing to try anything if I have to I'm more upset at the accusation I did something wrong when that's not the case and no alternative solution other than to blame me.

Solution: It wasn't a plugin  :P, something went wrong during the first boot and those keys were not created correct on the boot drive. I removed the ssh dir from /boot/config and rebooted and it was created correctly and ssh is working. No need to undo any plugins.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

You don't have to remove the plugins. Just select SAFE mode from the boot menu and unRAID will start without the plugins. Then you can see if it works when the plugins aren't involved.

Perfect, I figured there would be a method that didn't involve undoing hours of work. Thank you.

For clarification I'm not mad at the suggestion and I'm willing to try anything if I have to I'm more upset at the accusation I did something wrong when that's not the case and no alternative solution other than to blame me.

Solution: It wasn't a plugin  :P, something went wrong during the first boot and those keys were not created correct on the boot drive. I removed the ssh dir from /boot/config and rebooted and it was created correctly and ssh is working. No need to undo any plugins.

Thanks.

Can confirm, had the same problem (the key files were all 0 bytes) and deleting the "ssh" folder (with the key files) and then restarting the server fixed it!