Motherboard: Intel DG965RY

I have e-mailed Tom about this but he doesn't seem to be around at the moment and I was wondering if any of you had some ideas.

Yes I know this system is overkill, but I wanted something some what future proof in case I wanted to do some thing else with the hardware.

Here's what I've have:

Motherboard: Intel DG965RY  http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965ry/ry_manual.htm

Processor: Intel core 2 duo E6300

Memory 2 Kingston 512kb 667MHz DDR2 PC2-5300 (1GB)

PCI Controller Promise SATA300 TX4

Problem: cannot get UnRaid to recognize the on-board SATA controller.

I initially tried four drives on the on-board SATA controller (Intel ICH8) and there were no drives attached to the Promise card.

When the array is stopped there are no drives to assign in the drop down boxes. The drives are all in icy dock trays but I took the drives out and directly attached it to the on-board ports with the same result. There are no drives listed under the drive status headings.

Question: Should I get either a Blue or Grey status indicator under disk status following a new startup and no disks assigned yet? At this point there is nothing under the headings.

When the drives are moved to the promise card there is still nothing listed under disk status headings, but all 4 drives appear in the drop down box for assignment, but I have yet to do that. That was in the drive trays so I know they work OK.

My board has an Intel ICH8 SATA controller but I'm not sure if thats the same as the  Intel PIIX/ICHn SATA controllers listed in the compatable hardware section?

If worse comes to worse I guess I could throw in another Promise card but I would really like to get those motherboard ports working.

USB works great very fast boot up.

Networking works fine even though I only have 10/100, the Gigabit router is coming in two days.

Looking forward to the next kernel of Linux to take advantage of the dual cores.

My friend also has an Intel 965 board with ICH8.  He could not get unRAID to recognize the onboard SATA either unless he changed them to compatibility mode in the bios.  But then it becomes dog slow.  He also emailed Tom and got a reply saying ICH8 is not currently supported.  Otherwise, everything else works great for him via the Promise card.  I also hope this will be supported soon as ICH8 supports up to 6 onboard SATA ports.

Thanks for the info, this was driving me crazy because I thought the ICHn was like ICHx where you insert the number and unRaid supported what ever number. Now I know I wasn't doing anything wrong, it was just the chip not  being supported yet.

Tom any hope for supporting the Intel ICH8 chip in the near future?

In your bios, in the section dealing with SATA, what are the configurable modes?  Looking for AHCI mode.

I have tried it both ways with AHCI and IDE for the Config SATA as.. setting, the ATA / IDE mode I have always left in native.

Excerpts from the owner’s manual, technical specs, and the BIOS settings glossary.

Serial ATA

The desktop board supports four Serial ATA channels (3.0 Gb/s) via ICH8, connecting one device per channel.

Serial ATA and IDE Auto Configuration

If you install a Serial ATA or IDE device (such as a hard drive) in your computer, the auto-configuration utility in the BIOS automatically detects and configures the device for your computer. You do not need to run the BIOS Setup program after installing a Serial ATA or IDE device. You can override the auto-configuration options by specifying manual configuration in the BIOS Setup program.

1.5.3 Serial ATA Interfaces

The board provides four Serial ATA (SATA) connectors, which support one device per connector.

1.5.3.1 Serial ATA Support

The ICH8’s Serial ATA controller offers four independent Serial ATA ports with a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 3 Gbits/sec per port. One device can be installed on each port for a maximum of four Serial ATA devices. A point-to-point interface is used for host to device connections, unlike Parallel ATA IDE which supports a master/slave configuration and two devices per channel. For compatibility, the underlying Serial ATA functionality is transparent to the operating system. The Serial ATA controller can operate in both legacy and native modes. In legacy mode, standard IDE I/O and IRQ resources are assigned (IRQ 14 and 15). In Native mode, standard PCI Conventional bus resource steering is used. Native mode is the preferred mode for configurations using the Windows* XP and Windows 2000 operating systems.

Bios Setting       Options      Purpose

ATA / IDE Mode    • Legacy   Legacy enables up to two IDE channels for OS requiring legacy IDE operation.

• Native    Native enables all SATA and PATA resources.

Configure SATA      • IDE        AHCI allows you to take advantage of Advanced Host Controller Interface features

• AHCI     such as Native command Queuing , Hot plug, etc., also there is a note in Bios that states

AHCI mode only works with Windows Vista

It looks like the kernel version (2.4.33) used by unRAID does not support ICH8 chipset.  ICH7 appears to be the last chipset supported before all the kernel developers jumped exclusively to the 2.6 linux kernel.

Thanks for solving the mystery, but this now begs another question.

Could you please comment on how long it will be till upgrade to the new kernel?

Soon 1st Qtr 07, Not long 2nd Qtr 07, A while 3rd - 4th Qtr 07, Dream on - longer than that.

Just an FYI type of thing. Thanks