[Workaround Found] Shares are working, but are missing from the Shares tab

I upgraded from 5.0 to 6.1.4 today.  All went well for a few hours.  I was starting to experiment with Docker when I noticed that my shares were gone from the web UI.  However, the shares were still visible on the network, the folders were still in /mnt/user, the shares were listed in /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf, and the shares were still listed in the Dashboard tab under Shares List.

I tried recreating one of my shares, but there was an error in the log about an invalid name (I didn't save the log file).  Which makes sense, because I was trying to create a new share that duplicated the name of an existing share.

This is why I'd procrastinated so much about upgrading, because I'd had a working installation for a couple of years, and was nervous about getting some weird problem.  So my solution was to erase my flash drive, load up a fresh copy of 6.1.4, copy my config over from my 5.0 backup, and all was well again.

This is more for my knowledge that anything else.  I don't want to have to fresh-install my flash again.  Any reason user shares would not show up in the UI, even though they are being created ok?

How strange.  I inspected the HTML in the browser, and saw that the rows for my shares are present in the page, but were not being displayed.  I started disabling Chrome extensions and refreshing, and eventually the shares came back.

It looks like, at least on this particular browser & PC, having Adblock Plus running messes up the web GUI.  That seems totally bizarre to me, because there is nothing in the HTML that would trigger ABP.  It's just a HTML table.  ABP even shows 0 ads blocks on the page.  I turned off ABP for the unraid host, which fixes the problem.  This is a fine workaround, but I'd sure be interested to know more about the problem.

Thank you for diagnosing this sub0ptimal. I've just spent an hour uninstalling plugins and disabling dockers and VMs to try and find out what was happening. I am using Firefox. Whitelisted Tower and shares appeared straight away!

It was working fine earlier today. And I havent changed any shares today.

Well, at least it's not just me going crazy.  And my symptoms were the same, it worked at one point and then stopped.

Poking around in the HTML, the table is starts with

<table class="share_status share ">

and the body of the table (where the shares are listed) is

<tbody id="share_list">

I changed the id of the tbody tag to gibberish, and the list was visible again.  So something in the CSS is causing ABP to think it is an ad.  Checking google, it looks like other people have had problems with the dynamix webgui and adblocking.  Or not, this may be a wild goose chase. 

• 1 month later...