Just replace my cache drive, how long to wait to use old drive as an array disk?

ctviggen

I just replaced my 2 TB cache drive with a 3TB drive.  The parity check came out fine.  I'd like to replace a 1.5TB array drive with the 2TB drive formerly used as a cache drive.  Is there any reason to wait longer for this process?  Or can I immediately replace the array drive, since the parity check is good?  (Note:  I also upgraded to version 6 shortly before changing the cache drive.)  I'll have about 5 days or so of runtime after the parity check was valid (it took a while for a 3TB parity check). 

Cache drive is not part of the protected array, no reason to do a parity check after replacing it, also no reason to wait longer to replace the array drive with the old cache drive, unless you did not test the new cache drive, with preclear or something equivalent, and want to keep the old cache as a backup for a few days.

Cache drive is not part of the protected array, no reason to do a parity check after replacing it, also no reason to wait longer to replace the array drive with the old cache drive, unless you did not test the new cache drive, with preclear or something equivalent, and want to keep the old cache as a backup for a few days.

Oh, shucks!!!  I meant that I replaced the parity drive, not the cache drive.  I changed the subject.  I'm not sure that this will show up. 

I did not preclear the 3TB drive, as I was using it for quite a while as a backup drive (I backup my unraid server to this drive).  I now need a 4TB backup drive, so I've upgraded to that and decided to replace the parity drive from 2TB to the 3TB drive. 

Sorry about my confusion. 

Archived