First unRAID build(norco 4224)

bash

I have been planning to consolidate a couple of server's into one decent sized unRAID build for some time. The Misses and I just welcomed our first child and sqft is becoming extremely valuable. The plan is to consolidate my NAS and VM labs into a single server. This is going to be another norco build thread.

Goal: Consolidate the 3+ server's/computers I currently use to handle my openelec, (sickbeard/sabnzbd/couchpotato) , Proxmox VM server and NAS. I believe the build I have started to assemble below will more than adequately handle what I have planned.

The plan is to move away from Proxmox and use unRAID6's native VM/docker features to achieve the above.

CASE:(delivered)

NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case with 24 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays

Norco 120mm Fan Wall Bracket- Ordered before the Norco 4224 was delivered. It already had 120mm fan wall :(

CPU(delivered)

(2) X INTEL Xeon X5690 6-Core 3.46GHz LGA-1366

CPU COOLER:(delivered)(enroute) - hopefully fits, wish me luck.

(2) X Noctua Ultra Silent CPU Cooler Cooling NH-U9B SE2

MOTHERBOARD:(delivered)

ASUS Z8PE-D12 LGA 1366/Socket B Intel Motherboard

RAM(delivered)

Samsung 96GB 12x8GB PC3-10600R ECC Reg DDR3

GPU:(still pondering)

My goal is to get GPU passthrough working and run openelec w/ unraid6 native VM. I have a couple of card's handy that I can test with and if I am successful with this motherboard I will probably shell out for a somewhat decent openelec GPU. $100-$150/budget

EXPANDER CARD:(delivered)

Intel RES2SV240 24 Port 6 Gb/s SATA SAS

RAID CARD:(delivered)- mistakenly ordered the M5015 w/o realizing it could not do passthrough/JBOD.

IBM ServeRaid M1015 Card

POWER SUPPLY:(delivered)

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80 Plus Gold Rated, Modular  Power Supply

HARD DRIVES:

I will fully flesh this out as I finalize and start to build the server. I have a few 240GB SSD's that I am planning to use for a SSD Cache pool. I will also store VM/Docker images on the pool.

As for traditional HDD's god only knows how many I have laying around. I have at least 10+ 3TB HDD's that I can utilize for this build and some 4TB's I will be pulling from the server's I am consolidating.

Notes:

I am most interested to see how my choice of GPU/CPU's+Coolers will affect cooling/noise in the Norco 4224. I have probably read every Norco 24 Bay thread across multiple forum's and have a good idea how to proceed.

I have not mentioned any 120MM fan's as I have a few laying around from multiple vendor's I will be testing.

Well I finally had all my parts in and started the build. As with most used HW builds the wildcard is always the motherboard. As you can see in my initial post I went with the ASUS Z8PE-D12  which had pretty good reviews and is feature rich. It even came with the iKVM board!

I knew it was going to be a crapshoot when I pulled the motherboard from its shipping box and noticed the middle of the motherboard had a very very slight bow in it running from north to south. I installed the RAM and 2 x Xeon x5690's and it posted right away. I did notice a slight and I mean very slight whine coming from the motherboard. Temps in the BIOS look decent so I booted into unRAID which was a success.

Decided to get lm sensors up and running and on the surface it looks like I may have an overheating issue on my hands.

w83667hg-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
Vcore:        +0.06 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.74 V)
in1:          +0.06 V  (min =  +0.66 V, max =  +1.62 V)  ALARM
AVCC:         +2.99 V  (min =  +1.38 V, max =  +3.07 V)
+3.3V:        +2.96 V  (min =  +0.26 V, max =  +2.14 V)  ALARM
in4:          +0.06 V  (min =  +1.65 V, max =  +1.75 V)  ALARM
in5:          +1.40 V  (min =  +0.53 V, max =  +0.95 V)  ALARM
3VSB:         +2.98 V  (min =  +0.98 V, max =  +2.00 V)  ALARM
Vbat:         +2.91 V  (min =  +3.76 V, max =  +3.57 V)  ALARM
fan1:           0 RPM  (min = 2109 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
fan2:           0 RPM  (min = 2636 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =  703 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
fan4:           0 RPM  (min = 1171 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
fan5:           0 RPM  (min =  811 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
temp1:        +125.0°C  (high = +51.0°C, hyst = +105.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = thermistor
temp2:       +123.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = CPU diode
temp3:        +58.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
cpu0_vid:    +0.000 V
intrusion0:  OK

Ok so that does not look right..... I walked over and the NB was extremely hot to the touch and I immediately placed a 40MM fan ontop of it which dropped the temps from temp1 to 56C. Temp2 is still way too hot I think I will need to find a mobo replacement :(

Send it back and buy a brand new supermicro board.  It's what I would do.  Your call though...

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/#1366

I am leaning towards your advice however from what I have read about the Norco 4224 it will not fit a EATX board. Finding a dual 1366 board that is either EEB,CEB or normal ATX is turning into a challenge.

I have found a few but I will have to sacrifice half of the RAM I already purchased as they only have 6 Memory slots. Thank you for the advice, I will start searching for an alternative board.

After some research I think I will return the Asus board and go with a SuperMicro X8DTE  It might not have all the bells and whistles of the Asus board but I can get it brand new for a decent price.

The Asus(EEB) and the SuperMicro(EATX) are exactly the same dimensions and have the same IO shield placement as far as location is concerned. I will just tap/drill the holes required to support the EATX form factor in the norco 4224.