replace 2tb parity with 4tb in v4.7

Hi,

I'm on the way to v6 and just trying to clean up my system before i move.

I wanted to replace my 2tb parity with 4tb parity (with no sick drives).

Anyway I was following this advice:

"unRAID will only see one parity drive as it will be the one assigned to the parity slot on the Devices page.

My suggestion when upgrading parity is to:

1. Run preclear on the drive a could of times (not necessary but will stress test the drive to find early failure)

2. Take out the old party by disconnecting it

3. Hook up new parity drive and assign it as parity once the computer is started back up

4. Let parity rebuild and then run a check on it to make sure nothing is going funky.

5. Shut down the server and hook the old parity drive back up

6. Run preclear on the old parity drive and let it complete

7. Assign the old parity drive to a slot and your all done."

Ran a parity check.

I ran preclear twice on the 4tb (boy it took a while).

I stopped the machine

I disabled the  old parity drive (removed the sata cable).

I started the machine

i went to unraid devices and changed the parity drive to the new 4tb one.

When i started the array it didn't want to rebuild the parity drive, it just wanted to run without one (i didn't want to do that for long).

So i put things back as they were and am now rebuilding the array on the 2tb parity drive (so i will be back where i was).

What did i muck up.

Should i have put the 4tb drive back in the same place as the 2tb drive was?

Regards Dave

Sounds as if it is probably a good idea to do the upgrade to v6 with the current (stable) system with 2TB drives.  There is the excellent wiki article that provides comprehensive information about all aspects of upgrading to v6.  Once you are on v6 and everything is running fine then consider upgrading the drives.  If any issues arise during the move to v6 you then know they will be due to the differences between your current version and v6 rather than an issue with the drives.

You will be able to get much better support for any issues that might arise when upgrading the drives if you are already on v6 at the time simply because then you will be running the same version as the majority of others on the forum.