My new server

shanehm2

Ok guys so this morning old faithful decided not to boot properly, I tried different video cards, ram, etc and still no luck. It was an old e6600 cpu, 2gb ram and abit motherboard setup and I have had it running for 4 years nearly and the motherboard was a bit flakely towards the end and I was planning to upgrade after xmas anyway.

So now what I have got I listed below is what I am hoping to keep

Case - Antec 300

Power supply - Corsair CX-600W

HDD Parity - 2TB Segate

HDD Storage - 1x 1TB Hitachi, 1x 1TB Seagate, 1x 750GB Seagate, 1x 500GB Western digital and 1x 2TB Seagate NAS drive

Flash Drive - ASTONE 512MB USB 2.0

and I am intending to buy the following

Motherboard - ASRock C226-WS $283AUD

CPU - Xeon E3-1246 v3 $388.11AUD

RAM - Kingston KVR13E9/8I Unbuffered ECC (and is on the motherboard Memory QVL) $139AUD x 2

Cooler - Coolermaster Hyper T4 - $35AUD

Now that makes the total to $984.11AUD + postage

Will KVR16E11/8I the newer modules of the above RAM still work fine in the motherboard ? They go for $91.81AUD each so that makes it $94.38AUD saving.

I am wanting to upgrade to the latest version of unRAID with this setup and have containers for the following:

- Sickbeard

- Couchpotato

- SABNZD

- VPN of some sort

and possibly 2 or 3 others down the line.

I am wanting this to be bullet proof and last me for the next 5 years.

Also what size SSD should I look at to get for a cache drive ?

For Dockers, a 128GB SSD would probably be more than adequate but the price of the 256GB SSDs is so reasonable that's what I'd recommend.  If you intend to use the cache drive to cache writes to the array (rather than just applications) then you should size it based on the amount of data you would write in between mover runs.

It looks to me like the KVR16E11/8I memory would work.

Its also worth checking the PSU if you are keeping it. They tend to deteriorate over time and use and can give intermittent problems similar to a motherboard failure

Yep one reason why I am getting a brand new PSU. I think that my current one is possibly the cause of the system giving up on me. However regardless it's time for me to upgrade and later on I have a use to re use the motherboard and cpu to a relative if it still works

Its also worth checking the PSU if you are keeping it. They tend to deteriorate over time and use and can give intermittent problems similar to a motherboard failure

Yep one reason why I am getting a brand new PSU. I think that my current one is possibly the cause of the system giving up on me. However regardless it's time for me to upgrade and later on I have a use to re use the motherboard and cpu to a relative if it still works

I was going to comment on that as well ... but you've clearly already decided to replace it.    I would NOT buy a CX series Corsair ... they are not as reliable as the higher-end Corsair units, and I've seen some systems that simply won't boot with them.    Corsair PSU's are fine -- I've used a lot of their TX, HX, and AX units -- but their bottom-of-the-line CX series are simply nowhere near the quality of their other units.

I was going to comment on that as well ... but you've clearly already decided to replace it.    I would NOT buy a CX series Corsair ... they are not as reliable as the higher-end Corsair units, and I've seen some systems that simply won't boot with them.    Corsair PSU's are fine -- I've used a lot of their TX, HX, and AX units -- but their bottom-of-the-line CX series are simply nowhere near the quality of their other units.

Yep I am looking at the Corsair ax-760/i. Will that be enough for me to power what I quoted in terms of CPU/ RAM etc and it will be enough to power 20 drives ? As with the new case I am looking at I am hoping to fit that many in there or should I be looking at higher wattage

• 1 month later...

Ok update I have purchased a supermicro x9scl+-f and Xeon e3-1220 v2 and 32gb of Kingston ecc

What is a good cooler you guys can recommend for these boards apart from really the stock heat sink

Stock cooler is fine unless you have no airflow through the case. These newer intel chips run cool.

Ok no probs I wasn't sure if it was worthwhile purchasing an aftermarket low profile Noctua HSF

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a little inside shot of my new server

I have got the drives still inside of my old case and I measured from the edge of the motherboard to the front of the optical bays is about 21cm ish maybe 22cm.

Now to add to my shopping list is:

1 or 2, 5 in 3 bays

hba adaptor

extension cables for 24pin and 8pin cables

serverpic1.jpg.d3cf6403fd55b5df93b3ef34a72e938e.jpg