SMB Shares no longer showing in Windows 10

So I recently upgraded both my server hardware and my OS. I moved from v4.7 to the latest v6 release. I couldn't be happier in general. However, I've noticed that now the server no longer shows in the "Network" locations in Windows 10. Also: if I manually point the Explorer window to the tower (via host name or IP), I am more often than not prompted for credentials. I have to repeatedly attempt to authenticate, using either ROOT or my normal user account. It seems to randomly accept the credentials eventually. I cannot determine what has changed that would prompt this behaviour. I previously had a user account that authenticated into the shares automatically, without ever prompting for credentials. I was also always able to find the server's host name in the list of network locations in Windows Explorer, even pin it to the "Quick Access" or map drives, etc.

When I performed the upgrade from v4.7, I ran the "New Permisssions" script as instructed but this is still a problem. I'm hoping this is a newb mistake or my simply not understanding permissions either in unRaid v6 or in Windows.

PS>> I'll also note that periodically, after finally being able to authenticate and view the shares and sub folders, I seem to only have READ access as I'm unable to copy any files to the array via Windows. This was resolved by creating yet another user and manually specifying READ/WRITE permissions for all of my shares, despite my prior user already having the exact same permissions in unRaid.

Using root over SMB is just the same as using an anonymous guest account. root only has special access at console/telnet/ssh and the webUI. Also, Windows will remember what login you used and try to continue using that. You can make it start over with a different user by going to Control Panel - Credential Manager and deleting any stored unRAID credentials.

Before doing that, see this post to get a better understanding of how things are supposed to work.

Also, one thing that will help make seeing unRAID on the network more reliable is making it the local master under SMB settings. Once setting that you may have to reboot the other computers on the network to make them give up local master so unRAID can have it. There is also a Dynamix plugin which will show you when unRAID is the local master.

The Control Panel tip worked, thanks!. I had several "generic" credentials saved for both the host name and IP. Deleted all but one and made sure that password was correct and voila.

On a side note: I for some reason have my media shares set to "Secure". Is there any benefit to this over "Public" considering I am the only user on my network? I have my backup/image shares set to Private.

The Control Panel tip worked, thanks!. I had several "generic" credentials saved for both the host name and IP. Deleted all but one and made sure that password was correct and voila.

On a side note: I for some reason have my media shares set to "Secure". Is there any benefit to this over "Public" considering I am the only user on my network? I have my backup/image shares set to Private.

A secure share can be read by all but only written by specified users.

So it seems like Windows Credential Manager was only a temporary fix. Tried to access my shares again today and ran in to the same song and dance.

Can someone explain in complete Noob terms how SMB is supposed to function? Previously, with unRaid v4.7 and Windows 10, the Tower was automatically detected in Windows File Explorer and all shares were accessible all the time using the ROOT credentials (entered when initially set up, and never re-prompted). Now, with v6 and still Windows 10 (same PC(s)), the Tower does not show at all under File Explorer "Network" devices list, and I am seemingly randomly running into this credentialing loop. What is the ideal setup so I don't have to mess with the Credential Manager and manually type the address into File Explorer every time I want to copy files to my shares?

Thanks.

FYI: unRaid Tower is and has always been Local Master.

So it seems like Windows Credential Manager was only a temporary fix. Tried to access my shares again today and ran in to the same song and dance.

Can someone explain in complete Noob terms how SMB is supposed to function? Previously, with unRaid v4.7 and Windows 10, the Tower was automatically detected in Windows File Explorer and all shares were accessible all the time using the ROOT credentials (entered when initially set up, and never re-prompted). Now, with v6 and still Windows 10 (same PC(s)), the Tower does not show at all under File Explorer "Network" devices list, and I am seemingly randomly running into this credentialing loop. What is the ideal setup so I don't have to mess with the Credential Manager and manually type the address into File Explorer every time I want to copy files to my shares?

Thanks.

FYI: unRaid Tower is and has always been Local Master.

Avoid all the problems and type the address into the explorer bar once, then right click and add it to Quick Access
  • 3 years later...
On 12/12/2015 at 11:30 PM, Squid said:

Avoid all the problems and type the address into the explorer bar once, then right click and add it to Quick Access

I've got the same problem since update. (Started ones i rebooted my pc i think) Havent found a fix yet but Squid's awnser is right.
FIX if you cant find your server/shares in Network:
typing servername in File Explorer, type 2xBackslash plus servername like this: ''\\TOWER'' or use the server's (static) IP example: ''\\00.00.00.00''  and add it to quick access.

Possible fix to show server in Network:
Add a new user for ea PC instead of using the same user for all PCs. Don't know why but this did work for me.
Can anyone explain this server not showing in Network problem ?