Looking for advice on removing drives from array and 4K alignment conversion

goinsnoopin

I recently converted from reiserfs to XFS.  I currently have two WD Green drives in my array with that are not 4K aligned and they have the jumper on pins 5-6 to force the 1.5 GB PHY setting.  Should I convert these drives to 4k aligned? 

While doing my filesystem conversion, I planned it so one of these drives is completely empty and globally excluded from my shares…so it is completely empty. 

Below is what I was thinking of doing and I would love feedback on this approach!

I assume my first step is to take a photo of my drive assignments and to then do a new config then reassign parity correctly (I will triple check this)…and then reassign my data disks with the exception of the empty drives that I want to remove from the array (in my instance I want to remove one of the WD Green Drives that is not 4K aligned and a second disk that I no longer want in the array..an old 320 GB drive).  Once the assignment is complete, I believe a parity sync will start.  Once this is complete I could then shut down the server, pull the jumper on the WD Green Drive and then run preclear on this drive to get it 4K aligned.  Once 4K aligned and preclear is O.K. I could add this disk back to the array.  Next I would need to move files around to free up the second WD Green Drive and repeat the process above.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Dan

Archived