Best way to move files between drives?

Hi all!  I've been using UnRaid for a really long time now and was negligent in maintaining my available free space on my drives.  I just installed a new 3TB drive to my system and would like to copy ~500 gigs (~50-60 gigs per disk) from my TV or Movies shares to the new disk.  The reason I want to do this is because, with SickBeard adding new episodes of shows or replacing them with better quality files, I'm positive a few of these drives are going to fill up soon.  Is the best way to do this to use the mv command via terminal to move directories from one disk to the other, or should I go about it in a different way?

Thanks!

Hi all!  I've been using UnRaid for a really long time now and was negligent in maintaining my available free space on my drives.  I just installed a new 3TB drive to my system and would like to copy ~500 gigs (~50-60 gigs per disk) from my TV or Movies shares to the new disk.  The reason I want to do this is because, with SickBeard adding new episodes of shows or replacing them with better quality files, I'm positive a few of these drives are going to fill up soon.  Is the best way to do this to use the mv command via terminal to move directories from one disk to the other, or should I go about it in a different way?

Thanks!

If you're comfortable with the mv command that is the simplest way to go.

Be very sure you move from disk to disk and not user share to disk or you could get the User Share Copy Bug

You could also use midnight commander (MC after login) I like it as it gives a good overview of what is where - just be careful as it does not ask "are you really sure ...." but it is effective. I think you can also run it in screen if there is a lot to do and you dont want to be waiting around.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you set rsync to run on a daily, weekly, monthly schedule?

You can make a cron entry that schedules the rsync command

OK so right now I was doing it in windows with robocopy like this -

robocopy \\tower\files\pictures \\tower\disk1\UnRaidBU\pictures /MIR

What is the commands in rsync and how would I schedule it in cron? In windows I just set a task scheduler calling the batch file.

Any help would be great.

Can you set rsync to run on a daily, weekly, monthly schedule?

You can make a cron entry that schedules the rsync command

OK so right now I was doing it in windows with robocopy like this -

robocopy \\tower\files\pictures \\tower\disk1\UnRaidBU\pictures /MIR

What is the commands in rsync and how would I schedule it in cron? In windows I just set a task scheduler calling the batch file.

Any help would be great.

See here for a post on how to create cron entries in unRAID v6, and google for rsync.