Unraid as a desktop OS

Nem

I know this is possible, but I'm wondering how many people actually use unraid as a desktop OS and whether thats a good idea?

I often find myself switching between linux and windows on my desktop. I want to use linux, but I can't get away from windows due to gaming. Dual booting is a bit of a pain as I hate having to restart just to get into a game for 5 minutes, only to reboot again to continue doing work in linux. Setting up gpu passthrough in linux is also a pain to get working

Unraid makes gpu passthrough extremely simple and is what I'm currently going on my server for non-gaming purposes

To get the best of both worlds I thought I could install unraid on my desktop and create 2 VMs. One for linux which will have all my monitors plugged into, and one for windows to hold my games. Then I can work in linux, and just quickly RDP into the windows VM to play games

I guess restarting/shutting down the machine will be more difficult with this as you can just poweroff the VM, you'd have to poweroff both VMs AND unraid...

Are there any downsides to a setup like this? Are there any alternatives?

You should try rdp into windows first.  It's good enough for casual monitoring, but slow for typical office apps with cursor lag. Gaming via rdp is not recommended. But with 2 video cards in your desktop, both passed through you would be golden.

yeah ive tried RDP into a windows VM across the network and that was quite slow. I've never tried it on the same machine though, I think I saw a video that showed it was pretty good speed wise if its kept local to the machine

You should try rdp into windows first.  It's good enough for casual monitoring, but slow for typical office apps with cursor lag. Gaming via rdp is not recommended. But with 2 video cards in your desktop, both passed through you would be golden.

yeah ive tried RDP into a windows VM across the network and that was quite slow. I've never tried it on the same machine though, I think I saw a video that showed it was pretty good speed wise if its kept local to the machine

Hmm strange, I can VPN into my home network, then RDP into my Win VM and it is very responsive. If I'm at home and RDP into the Win VM I can just about watch a HD YouTube video, it sputters a bit but still is watchable.