[Support] Linuxserver.io - Serviio

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happens to every file and they all play fine directly in Kodi. There are 900+ of them. It fails with the same error on any of them.

Try mounting the movies folder with read and write permission.

I did wonder that too, but works fine for me as read only.  That's why I asked about any webui changes that might have required serviio access to write to the disk.

I found the problem.

I installed the plugin to see if there was a change and it also failed. 

Started thinking of what I did and found that at some point I set:

Tunable (enable Direct IO): yes.

That causes the issue.  Auto/No and it works fine.

Not 100% sure I know why yet but at least I am not crazy anymore

Thanks all

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to first say thanks for this wonderful docker.  Everything works as expected, but I have noticed something odd since I installed the Serviio docker.  My Drive 2 and my Parity drive will not spin down. Stop the Serviio docker and you can spin them down manually and they stay spun down. Restart the docker and they return to being polled.

I looked in the logs for Serviio from the WebGUI and there is nothing there that is unusual:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

I did try giving the app "privileged" access but it didn't do anything about the drives being spun up (as a matter of fact, it spun them ALL up!)

I attached my diagnostics, is there something else I might try? I have had this issue present in at least the previous two versions of the docker - I am running 1.9 currently.

Thanks in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20171229-2331.zip

Attached are 2 shots - I expanded everything to show all settings. I thought it was scraping also. I have some media on Drive 2 that might not be " scrapable". Maybe Serviio doesn't like NON easily resolvable files for scraping?  Kodi has issues with some of these files as well.

There are basically 4 mappings:

/movies

/HD Movies (Blurays)

/tv shows

/Kids (Animated stuff mostly)

Then I poked around in Serviio some more and I found this in screenshot 3 - maybe that will do it? I'll keep my fingers crossed. If my drive 2 spins down in 30 minutes...I'm golden.

Thanks for looking Saarg!

serviio_2.jpg

serviio_1.jpg

serviio_3.jpg

Edited by Unqualified Spectator
Left a little data out

And it's been more than 30 minutes since I changed the settings and drive 2 is still spun up...so the search continues. I did go read on the Serviio website but, as expected, dockerized apps are another can 'o worms. They did have some mentions of dockerized versions of Serviio, but it's all over the map - there was 2-3 for unraid, mostly for building a dockerized image, so I came back here.

I am running this currently from a drive added using Unassigned Devices. (I had to - out of SATA ports and I needed to run a docker to share data with some Rokus.)

If you can't see what you need from this shot - let me know how to get it and I'll post it a little later - I have to go do a couple of errands. I am ready to upgrade this system to an old motherboard from my son's computer upgrade, so I am about to have a bunch of shiny new SATA ports and I can deploy a more normal cache drive setup. You think this might be caused by the assignment via Unassigned Devices? (By the way - this drive is a USB3 based SSD - kinda like a big thumbdrive - but it is on a USB2 so that's the max speed - it isn't sluggish to respond, but it isn't like it would be if it was a real ssd on a real SATA port. It is fast enough for me.)

So - it has no cache settings, since it is just a drive attached to the array but outside the array? It automounts on system start, but there is no cache anything enabled?

Serviio_data_on_unassigned_devices.jpg

Looks like you're right on the money...it doesn't appear to be possible to relocate this to the UD share I created...the only options in the dropdown are Disks 1 2 or 3. I cannot choose the Unassigned Disk share. So, when I do my upgrade, I guess one of the checkboxes for me is to install an actual Cache disk - at least then I can select it. This says that disk 2 is where the data for both of my dockers reside, so it makes sense that while the docker is active, the disk will be polled, even if there is no one watching anything. At least that solves the mystery.

Attached are the two screenshots in the hope that this might help someone contemplating a similar move.

Thanks, Saarg!

BTW, do you know if there is any way to relocate this for the time being to the Unassigned Disk share, just is it possible? I know you could choose NO for the cache disk option, but I don't know if that allows you to use a UD share.

Appdata_4.jpg

Appdata_3.jpg

Never is not a valid option, No is.
5 minutes ago, Unqualified Spectator said:

it doesn't appear to be possible to relocate this to the UD share I created...the only options in the dropdown are Disks 1 2 or 3. I cannot choose the Unassigned Disk share

More than possible to put appdata on an unassigned device.  You're attempting to assign a "share" to an unassigned device.  But, since Unassigned Devices are NOT part of the array, you can't assign a "share" to them.

What you want to do is change the appdata location (settings / docker), and the appdata for each app already installed to instead of /mnt/user/appdata to reference /mnt/disks/whateverUDcalledIt

Funny thing - I totally missed that Serviio makes reference to a config path, but I did not have one directly assigned. I guess it put it where it liked (it WAS "required") and I didn't catch it until now. (Probably on the disk with the most space at the time.) Bah! Humbug!

Do these look like they have been reassigned correctly? The dockers restarted without an error after the modification. Is there an easy way to destroy the appdata share created on Disk 2? I'll know in a bit, if drive 2 spins down...no worries.

Squid - thanks for clarifying that you CAN point these to a UD data storage device...it's nice to be able to deploy a docker to a temporary device to "try it out" and if you don't want to keep it, remove it from unraid, format the USB device and you're done. That is kind of how this started...I tried several media servers - minidlna worked fine until I got my roku devices...those needed some transcoding ability. I stumbled through the config for them and they worked, so I didn't spend a lot more time on them, but the configs have been wrong all this time. All I knew was that it was running my drives all the time and that is NOT GOOD for drive longevity.

Happy New Year!

Serviio_Appdata_After.jpg

Serviio_Appdata_Before.jpg

Aditional data and comments...

I am having a new issue...anybody know what to do here?  I got my drives to spin down (YAY!) but now the docker either doesn't serve content or I blow the container to bits trying to satisfy Fix Common Errors. A screenshot is attached.

Here is what I did. I didn't try running anything from the docker after changing it last night. I just changed the container mappings so nothing is stored on a share on my drives - that is what was keeping drive 2 up all the time and because drive 2 was up, parity was also up. It was late, so I went to bed. This morning, I had an error reported from Fix Common Errors...it was suggesting that I needed a "/config" mapping for the config data - that mapping was already in Advanced Settings. Fix Common Errors also wanted me to set this mapping to RW Slave. So, I created a new duplicate /config mapping and set it to RW Slave (I think I did it right but obviously not) - when I pressed Apply - the command fails. (duplicated /config) So, if I leave /config just in the Advanced subfolder, the app will run but I get the error in Fix Common Errors since you cannot set that mapping in there to RW Slave. Plus, I found out that now no content plays on my Rokus.

Any suggestions on how to correctly satisfy both criterion?

Serviio_appdata_adding_path.jpg

You don't seem to fully understand how things work, and that gets you into trouble.

You should have just edited the existing Appdata config Path (You have to enable advanced mode to see the edit button) and set it to RW Slave as Fix common problems suggested.

I did try early this morning. There is no edit button for the Appdata Config path. If it were a Host Path, I could edit it. In reviewing some of the screenshots I took yesterday - it looks as if when this path was defined on Disk 2, it DID have an EDIT and a REMOVE button, but it does not have either one now?

You're not wrong - I don't understand anything about Dockers, I get the benefits of them, but setting them up can be difficult for me. Thanks for your patience.

Appdata Expanded No Edit.jpg

12 minutes ago, Unqualified Spectator said:

I did try early this morning. There is no edit button for the Appdata Config path. If it were a Host Path, I could edit it. I think the docker created it since it was declared as required?

You're not wrong - I don't understand anything about Dockers, I get the benefits of them, but setting them up can be difficult for me. Thanks for your patience.

Appdata Expanded No Edit.jpg

You need to go back and read my post again and it will all be clear to you ;-) I specifically said how to get the edit button.