Migrating to VM: How to Power on the VM

rix

I have been running Unraid 6 for a few months now. Docker covers all my media and networking applications, Unraid itself does the NAS/Parity part awesomely well.

I am now at a point where I want to upgrade my CPU. I still have a gaming rig around and naturally I have wondered how to make the most of my current Hardware. I will figure the Details out myself but I have one simple question:

If I migrate my gaming rig and merge it into my Unraid Server, how to I turn on the VM on demand?

Pressing the Power button naturally wont work for this, but I feel like having the VM always on with my Server is a waste of energy.

Can this be done without accessing the Webinterface at all?

Ideally using Unraid my PC would feel and operate the same way it does now. Maybe turning on the VM at a USB key stroke would work?

Has this question never come up? Is leaving the VM always on economical? Any comment would help me deciding to migrate my system.

I have added a poll to get a feel for the way you guys have set this up.

I have a plugin for that. You can wake your vm from a phone, router or other computer with wake on lan.http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44017.msg420136#msg420136

Has this question never come up? Is leaving the VM always on economical? Any comment would help me deciding to migrate my system.

I have added a poll to get a feel for the way you guys have set this up.

I have a plugin for that. You can wake your vm from a phone, router or other computer with wake on lan.http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44017.msg420136#msg420136

Thanks for this, I hadn't realised exactly what this did, but looks perfect...