How to install OpenELEC (Official) in a VM

johnodon

Is there anyone here that can help piotrasd with this squash and rebase stuff?  I have zero knowledge of of any of this.

@piotrasd please drop @1721dbd then rebase and squash commits

The OE devs want the 9p stuff removed and then a rebase/squash.

piotrasd's changes have been merged into Master!  :D

merged commit 90ea1a4 into OpenELEC:master 2 days ago

Is there anyone here that can help piotrasd with this squash and rebase stuff?  I have zero knowledge of of any of this.

@piotrasd please drop @1721dbd then rebase and squash commits

The OE devs want the 9p stuff removed and then a rebase/squash.

piotrasd's changes have been merged into Master!  :D

merged commit 90ea1a4 into OpenELEC:master 2 days ago

What does this mean to us?

Apologies if anyone has covered this, but has anyone managed to managed to get this working with an AMD HD5450?

I've managed to pass the card through ok, but it will not boot if i pass the audio through also (leaving no audio for kodi), if i pass through the audio also it hangs on boot with a 'kernal panic' error.

I managed to pass both to a windows 7 VM i have, but even after installing the drivers it still complains about not having any audio devices.

I also changed between ACS override on and off with no change to symptoms.

Therefore i believe it's the card at fault, not sure what is going on.

The card is new, so i could return it for another if that's best option.

Any advice appreciate.

Apologies if anyone has covered this, but has anyone managed to managed to get this working with an AMD HD5450?

I've managed to pass the card through ok, but it will not boot if i pass the audio through also (leaving no audio for kodi), if i pass through the audio also it hangs on boot with a 'kernal panic' error.

I managed to pass both to a windows 7 VM i have, but even after installing the drivers it still complains about not having any audio devices.

I also changed between ACS override on and off with no change to symptoms.

Therefore i believe it's the card at fault, not sure what is going on.

The card is new, so i could return it for another if that's best option.

Any advice appreciate.

I have the same issue when my hd6450 is the unraid console graphics and then passed through. I don't remember this a problem on another motherboard with the same card. Might be a combination of motherboard/gpu.

I do not have the same problem with a R9 280X.

My hardware is a HP proliant server board, which has its own igpu for the unraid console. The card is independent of that at least.

I did manage everything successfully before using a GT610 borrowed from my daughters PC. Problem with that was the card didn't reset when you rebooted the vm, only after rebooting the whole server would it work again (hence me getting a new card).

My hardware is a HP proliant server board, which has its own igpu for the unraid console. The card is independent of that at least.

I did manage everything successfully before using a GT610 borrowed from my daughters PC. Problem with that was the card didn't reset when you rebooted the vm, only after rebooting the whole server would it work again (hence me getting a new card).

Then it might be a problem with the card.

What I thought about after I posted, was that you could try specifying a bios file and see if that helps. You can find it here http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_6/VM_Management#Help.21_I_can_start_my_VM_with_a_GPU_assigned_but_all_I_get_is_a_black_screen_on_my_monitor.21

I've been running OE on a standalone HTPC for years and avoided AMD based cards & iGPU's. I specifically wanted bit-streamed passthrough HD audio in my movies, soon as I switched to Nvidia GPU's everything just worked with less fuss and headaches. Anything from the GT 720, GT 730 & GT 610 series has had success from other OE & UnRaid forum users.

With my personal hardware setup -I even had compatibility issues with ASUS specific branded GT 720 cards (same reset issue as you!), so I switched to a cheapo low power passive EVGA GT720 and now everything is perfect!

For the record I am using this card:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487062

It would be nice if the hardware compatibility was a little more forgiving -but we are seriously pushing the envelope by running a visualized HTPC within a low cost home/SMB NAS solution on consumer grade hardware...

My 2c

Bertrand

I am using this one since I couldn't afford the extra space of a large heatsink:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127851&cm_re=gt720-_-14-127-851-_-Product

I am also using 2 of these:  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-gt-730-1gb-ddr3-pci-express-2-0-graphics-card-black/1032038.p?id=1219460773496&skuId=1032038

All working exactly as expected!

What I really like about the Nvidias (at least the ones I linked above) is that I can FORCE STOP the VM and it doesn't freak out the GPU.  If I did that with the AMD cards, I had to reboot the server to get them to work again.

John

Thanks for your input guys. I have just placed an RMA with ebuyer to return the card i have and will be purchasing an MSI GT720 instead - http://www.ebuyer.com/661551-msi-gt-720-1gb-ddr3-vga-dvi-hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-n720-1gd3hlp

Sadly i had no luck with the GT610 out of my daughters pc, iirc that's also an asus branded card.

good job i'm not in a massive rush for this, i'm actually running my OE instances on Raspberry Pi's atm, i just want to beef up the living room one so i can add retroarch and whoop my kids at some classic games :D

Interesting news from the Kodi site here

We had an interesting conversation with a company who is more than just a hardware vendor that reached out to discuss passthrough issues with an unreleased beta of their software in Kodi, and we thought the conversation might go a little rocky based on past experience with them, but ended up one of the best and most enlightening meetings we had the entire CES. Hopefully more to come from that!

• 2 weeks later...

so, I finally finished doing it.  installed windows 10 with kodi, win10 native AMD drivers give me perfect passthrough and HD audio bitstreaming in a VM.  so yes, as we know, the linux AMD drivers suck and until they are fixed, used the Nvidia 720.

or wait for the noted above news for maybe a real fix from AMD, but who knows when that will be.

so, I finally finished doing it.  installed windows 10 with kodi, win10 native AMD drivers give me perfect passthrough and HD audio bitstreaming in a VM.  so yes, as we know, the linux AMD drivers suck and until they are fixed, used the Nvidia 720.

or wait for the noted above news for maybe a real fix from AMD, but who knows when that will be.

Either way I am going to stick with nvidia cards.  The one other HUGE advantage I am seeing (maybe just specific to me) is that I can force shutdown a VM with an nvidia card and start it up again without issue.  With the AMD cards this always caused a kernel panic in the VM and the only way to fix was to restart the server.  All 3 of my HD6450's (3 different vendors) exhibited this behavior.

What is the easiest way to upgrade a OE vm to newer version? I am on 6.0.0. now, and would like to have 6.0.1. I keep getting notifications innside OE that a new version is available, but I'm not sure if I should run it via OE or not. Would be great that I could keep my settings and libraries when updating.

Thanks

What is the easiest way to upgrade a OE vm to newer version? I am on 6.0.0. now, and would like to have 6.0.1. I keep getting notifications innside OE that a new version is available, but I'm not sure if I should run it via OE or not. Would be great that I could keep my settings and libraries when updating.

Thanks

I have ran the upgrade to 6.0.1 from within OE and it updated just fine. All my settings and libraries were unaffected.

Thanks

If you used the method described in this thread for installing OE, the internal OE update routine will work fine.  If you used the LT OE template, the only way to upgrade OE is to wait for LT to release a new template.

John