How to sync with Google Drive

Fpsware

I've been playing with unRiad for all of a few hours now and I'm thoroughly amazed!

One function/feature I'm trying to implement is synchronisation with my Google Drive. My current Windows server runs SyncBack Pro to synchronise various folders on the server with my Google Drive (and visa-versa).

I'm struggling to find any Docker that will allow me to sync (both ways) between Google Drive and various folders on unRaid.

Any help/suggestions are welcome.

Similarly to @trurl's suggestion, I have an OSX VM running that mounts unRAID shares at boot. I then have Arq configured to backup these shares. Personally, I'm using it to back-up to Amazon but it can also backup to Google.

*Note: I don't believe the Windows version of Arq allows backing up network drives yet. This feature is presently only available on the OSX version.

Could probably make it happen if you did a Windows VM on unRAID. I don't think there are any Linux versions to make into a docker.

This is how I do it.  I have a Windows VM and use dropit to sync dropbox with a folder on my unRAID box. 

Edit:  My VM is called "Utility" and I use it for all of the various stuff I want to do:  Sync with Google Music, Crashplan backups of data on unRAID, sync dropbox, sync Google photos, DLNA server.  I'd rather have dockers for all of that stuff but that makes it much more complex for my level of skillset and the Windows VM is easy to set up and it just works.

• 3 weeks later...

This is how I do it.  I have a Windows VM and use dropit to sync dropbox with a folder on my unRAID box. 

Edit:  My VM is called "Utility" and I use it for all of the various stuff I want to do:  Sync with Google Music, Crashplan backups of data on unRAID, sync dropbox, sync Google photos, DLNA server.  I'd rather have dockers for all of that stuff but that makes it much more complex for my level of skillset and the Windows VM is easy to set up and it just works.

Much the same here. I have a small VM running XP that handles a number of tasks that I really like to leave running 24/7, but that I can't yet find a docker for, or that just happen to be easier to run this way. It has Calibre downloading some periodicals for me, a gmail pop3 checker running in chrome, and a few other things. I am about to set up a selective dropbox sync on it as well, and I will probably set up google drive at the same time. I would like to have a google drive docker but since I need the VM running, this is a pretty reasonable solution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I wonder if there has been any development on a user friendly way to synchronize google drive a docker or a plugin would be really great. I see a lot of people looking for this feature.

I'm basically looking for a local copy of my gdrive but would love to be able to do this with all my cloud storage. Is there perhaps another way of doing this?

• 1 month later...

I wonder if there has been any development on a user friendly way to synchronize google drive a docker or a plugin would be really great. I see a lot of people looking for this feature.

I'm basically looking for a local copy of my gdrive but would love to be able to do this with all my cloud storage. Is there perhaps another way of doing this?

I resorted to running SyncBack Pro in a Windows VM to do just that.

I'd like to see some kind of docker support for this or directly supported within unRaid.

• 1 year later...
On 20/5/2016 at 11:02 AM, Fpsware said:

I resorted to running SyncBack Pro in a Windows VM to do just that.

I'd like to see some kind of docker support for this or directly supported within unRaid.

I've looked into this solution myself. How did it go for you? And how about licensing, have you needed to keep the software upgraded in order to keep on using it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 10:09 AM, Squazz said:

I've looked into this solution myself. How did it go for you? And how about licensing, have you needed to keep the software upgraded in order to keep on using it?

This is the solution we are still using. Running a Windows 10 VM with SyncBack Pro. 

The application needs to be updated from time to time but that is done as part of our monthly maintenance tasks. We are running Windows 10 without a license. We could spend $50 a buy a Win 10 key from Kinguin but we don't need to. Microsoft will let you run Windows 10 without a key. 

7 hours ago, Fpsware said:

This is the solution we are still using. Running a Windows 10 VM with SyncBack Pro. 

The application needs to be updated from time to time but that is done as part of our monthly maintenance tasks. We are running Windows 10 without a license. We could spend $50 a buy a Win 10 key from Kinguin but we don't need to. Microsoft will let you run Windows 10 without a key. 

Thank you for your response :) I might end up doing the same.

I have looked into SyncBack and it seemed slow. Have you had any experience with this? For me it took 5 days to sync 800Gb on a 50MBit connection

3 hours ago, Squazz said:

Thank you for your response :) I might end up doing the same.

I have looked into SyncBack and it seemed slow. Have you had any experience with this? For me it took 5 days to sync 800Gb on a 50MBit connection

I have a 550Mbps upload and it took over over a week to upload almost 2Tb. Its not SyncBack, its Google. I've experienced this slowness with other applications. 

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

Hi guys, I'm a UnRaid "new fresh user" after a long time spent on search and read this forum, finally I found this thread. 

I tried the solution with windows VM, for Google Backup.

Now the point is Google is not "happy" with network folders (in my case, sheared from UnRaid array). I can use only a local folder inside the VM)

Any suggestion to solve this issue? Did anyone had the same problem?

Many thanks.