Silverstone DS380 - fans & cooling

Bizarroterl

I just build a new unraid (v6.1) box.  My old system was running low on space so time to upgrade.

Chassis is the Silverstone DS380

HDs are 8 of the Seagate 8TB archive drives.

Controller is the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

MB is a Supermicro X7SPE-H-D525

PSU Silverstone ST45SF

I read through the various posts on this chassis looking for info on the cooling issues with this chassis.  Other than the use of some cardboard to control the air for the 2 side fans, I didn't find much.  So I decided to do a test.

With the stock cooling and a parity check running I had the following temps:

Ouch!  Thinking about air flow I decided to force more air through the hard drives.  I plugged (w/piece of paper) most of the fan intake for the HD fans on the side of the chassis and left the front door open..  I saw a huge drop in temps.  So I've done the following:

2 Side fans are disconnected and their opening is fully covered. 

Openings above the card cage/PSU closed off.

Card cage opening metal bracket holes plugged.

Chassis opening next to PSU blocked off.

I now have only 1 fan, the one on the back blowing out.  Incoming air comes in either through the front (cooling the HDs or through the PSU.

Temps are now (parity check running):

CPU: 23

MB: 37 (not sure if this is right). - sorry, no before temps for MB/CPU.

Room temp is 20C.

System is much quieter and temps are stable.

As best I can tell, these are good temps for HDs during a parity check.    I perplexed why Silverstone would go through the expense of adding the side fans when the chassis seems to work better without them.

Now I need to determine how to permanently remove the front door. :)

Note:  The 1st HD temp is the parity drive.

Kind of curious about your use case as I've been interested in the shingled Seagate drives for long term off site storage.  Are you mostly in a write once read many type of scenario for your NAS?  I'd be interested in hearing more about how those drives hold up in the future if you arent.

Also 40-50C isn't a bad drive temp imo at full load and only happens occasionally.

• 4 years later...
On 12/16/2015 at 6:19 PM, Bizarroterl said:

I just build a new unraid (v6.1) box.  My old system was running low on space so time to upgrade.

Chassis is the Silverstone DS380

HDs are 8 of the Seagate 8TB archive drives.

Controller is the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

MB is a Supermicro X7SPE-H-D525

PSU Silverstone ST45SF

I read through the various posts on this chassis looking for info on the cooling issues with this chassis.  Other than the use of some cardboard to control the air for the 2 side fans, I didn't find much.  So I decided to do a test.

With the stock cooling and a parity check running I had the following temps:

Ouch!  Thinking about air flow I decided to force more air through the hard drives.  I plugged (w/piece of paper) most of the fan intake for the HD fans on the side of the chassis and left the front door open..  I saw a huge drop in temps.  So I've done the following:

2 Side fans are disconnected and their opening is fully covered. 

Openings above the card cage/PSU closed off.

Card cage opening metal bracket holes plugged.

Chassis opening next to PSU blocked off.

I now have only 1 fan, the one on the back blowing out.  Incoming air comes in either through the front (cooling the HDs or through the PSU.

Temps are now (parity check running):

CPU: 23

MB: 37 (not sure if this is right). - sorry, no before temps for MB/CPU.

Room temp is 20C.

System is much quieter and temps are stable.

As best I can tell, these are good temps for HDs during a parity check.    I perplexed why Silverstone would go through the expense of adding the side fans when the chassis seems to work better without them.

Now I need to determine how to permanently remove the front door. :)

Note:  The 1st HD temp is the parity drive.

I know it's been a long time since this was posted (more than 4 years!), but I'm struggling with the temp for a while. Did all the tricks mentioned here (and other threads) and these helped a lot. I'd like to know if someone figured out how to remove the front door (without cutting the hinges, of course).

Thanks a lot!

I had to cut the hinge to fully remove the door.  I still have this system.  I am planning on retiring it. If someone is interested I'd let it go pretty reasonably.    I'll be keeping the 8TB drives and I can replace them with 3TB drives if you want drives included.  Note that I have been using this system as a backup system that I turn off when not needed so runtime hours are a lot less than one would expect with a 4yo system.