[SOLVED] Upgraded from 5 to 6.1 Disks attached to sata controller not detected

Hi,

I've been avoiding upgrading since I was scared about breaking something that works.  But there is too many cool things that I'm missing out on that I had to try and upgrade.

I didn't have a lot of complicated things so I went with the upgrade option to keep my share settings and disk configurations.  But when I start unraid, none of the disks attached to the SATA controller are detected by unraid.  I know they are recognized since they worked with unraid 5.05 and I can see them listed on boot.

The sata controller I have is this: LSI 9220-8i Controller - 8 ports , 6Gbps (IBM M1015)

Is there any other information I can provide that would help shed light on this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Screen_Shot_2015-12-18_at_8_23.51_PM.png.19a60ce79c2094c82b4bc4fb6813c40a.png

Screen_Shot_2015-12-18_at_9_11.31_PM.png.30915ee30a87585716df00a86719c28c.png

Not quite sure what to tell you here...  There's some strange errors in the syslog:

Dec 18 22:18:19 Tower kernel: mpt2sas0: diag reset: FAILED
Dec 18 22:18:19 Tower kernel: mpt2sas0: _base_get_ioc_facts: failed getting to correct state
Dec 18 22:18:19 Tower kernel: mpt2sas0: failure at drivers/scsi/mpt2sas/mpt2sas_scsih.c:8237/_scsih_probe()!

I don't have one of those cards, so can't say for sure that it's compatible, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't compatible with 6 but compatible with 5.

I'd wait for someone more familiar with the LSI cards to pipe in... My best and only guess is firmware issue - But its a guess at that.

Beyond that, you do have another weird thing popping up:

Dec 18 22:18:19 Tower kernel: ata5.00: ATA-8: HGST HDS5C4040ALE630,       PL1331LAGHZAUH, MPAOA580, max UDMA/133
Dec 18 22:18:19 Tower kernel: ata5.00: 7814037168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)
Dec 18 22:18:19 Tower kernel: ata5.00: limited to UDMA/33 due to 40-wire cable

Your system thinks that your 4TB Hitachi is actually an IDE drive connected with a 40 pin cable.  You might want to check your BIOS settings, and make sure your onboard ports are set to AHCI and not IDE / Legacy Mode.

I think I found the IDE problem.  Apparently AMD motherboards have this weird setting for sata IDE combined mode for ata5: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/49745-970-extreme4-need-uefi-setup-manual.html 

I disabled it.  And now I have this:

Dec 19 10:19:57 Tower kernel: ata5.00: ATA-8: HGST HDS5C4040ALE630,       PL1331LAGHZAUH, MPAOA580, max UDMA/133
Dec 19 10:19:57 Tower kernel: ata5.00: 7814037168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32), AA
Dec 19 10:19:57 Tower kernel: ata5.00: configured for UDMA/133

Which seems to have fixed it.  Thanks!

johnnie.black: I remember following the posts posted on this site to upgrade the firmare for the card and put it into IT mode.  I just checked those threads and there doesn't seem to be an updated firmware.  (To be honest, I don't know what I'm looking for exactly :( There are soo many models and numbers and variations)  Is there a spot I can check for updated firmware that will put the card in IT mode for unraid?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks!  But now I have some really stupid questions that hopefully you're willing to suffer :(

I'm following the instruction from here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg121131#msg121131 (p10.zip)

Which lists the following steps:

7) Launch each step, Step 1, 1.bat (This will dump all the information about your card to a file Named ADAPTERS.TXT
In this file is your SAS Address which will be required for step 6 (6.bat)

Example: 
                HW Configuration
                ================
SAS Address      : 500605b001f31fa0

Step 2, 2.bat will save your current controllers SBR to a file Mega.sbr, please rename it to the cards model
your using this on, example IBM M1015, rename mega.sbr to SBRM1015.bin and post on the forum (would like
to collect all SBRs)

9) Step 3, 3.bat will wipe your current SBR and clear your controllers BIOs.

10) Set 4, Shutdown your system now, plug your USB stick in another system were you can get at the ADAPTERS.TXT
(that was dumped in step 1) file to write donw your SAS Controllers Address

11) Put back usb stick in the system with the Mega card and boot to usb again.

12) In step 5 you can Flash your card to either IT or IR mode by lauched the respective batch file (5IT.bat or 5IR.bat) This will file your mega controller to SAS2008 firmware P10 (lastest as of time posted)

13) Step 6, 6.bat will echo out the command you need to run manually in a commandline to re-program back your
SAS Address you obtain when you shutdown your system and wrote it down from the ADAPTERS.TXT file

However, When I run 1.bat which has, 

MegaCli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -ApplogFile AdaptersInfo1.txt

To get my address, it only returns "Exit Code: 0x01" and no address.

This command definitely worked when I was setting up the card.

Does that mean I don't need to run any steps other than step 5 which actually upgrades the bios?

and for that, do I take the "2118it.bin" file from the "LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip" file and "ebcsas2.rom" file from "UEFI_BSD_P19.ZIP" and run step 5?

Step 5:

sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

Thanks so much! I can't believe I didn't save the files from last time :(

Thankyou so much!  I ran the command and it seems to have worked.  But the drives are still not being recognised by Unraid :(  This is the logfile:

sas2flash.efi -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom 
     Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)   

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum. 
          Firmware Version 19.00.00.00
          Firmware Image compatible with Controller. 

Valid NVDATA Image found. 
          NVDATA Version 11.00.00.00 
          Checking for a compatible NVData image... 

NVDATA Device ID and Chip Revision match verified.
          NVDATA Versions Compatible.
          Valid Initialization Image verified.
          Valid BootLoader Image verified.

Beginning Firmware Download...
          Firmware Download Successful.

Verifying Download...

Firmware Flash Successful.

Resetting Adapter...
          Adapter Successfully Reset.

Executing Operation: Flash BIOS Image

Validating BIOS Image...

BIOS Header Signature is Valid

BIOS Image has a Valid Checksum. 

BIOS PCI Structure Signature Valid.

BIOS Image Compatible with the SAS Controller.

Attempting to Flash BIOS Image...

Verifying Download...

Flash BIOS Image Successful.

Updated BIOS Version in BIOS Page 3.

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
     Exiting SAS2Flash.

Should I try upgrading to 20?  But the rom you pointed to is named "mptsas2.rom" but the official one form lsi is named "ebcsas2.rom".  Not sure if they are the same :(

Thanks for your help! 

IMG_20151220_102828.jpg.9d350f614d7d71b08c6e1b60237ce5db.jpg

I'm an utter fool.  I knew this couldn't have been an unique problem.  I just don't know how to search.  Even after Squid told me exactly what to search for.

In short, this problem was discovered and the solution posted ages ago.  I just had to go through a few google suggestions before I ended up back in this forum! http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12404.0

Thanks everyone for your help! I hope it will work from now on!!

Cheers!

I'm an utter fool.  I knew this couldn't have been an unique problem.  I just don't know how to search.  Even after Squid told me exactly what to search for.

In short, this problem was discovered and the solution posted ages ago.  I just had to go through a few google suggestions before I ended up back in this forum! http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12404.0

Thanks everyone for your help! I hope it will work from now on!!

Cheers!

Searching on this forum can be a little confusing. I almost never use the search box. The search page is what you usually want. See search tips in my sig for a better explanation of searching here.