VPN, how much and what one

squirrellydw

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So for everyone that uses a VPN, how much do you pay and what one do you use?  How hard is it to configure?

Assume you're talking about a VPN provider rather than setting up your own VPN server to your LAN.  I use PIA but here is a good place to read about if you're currently looking.

Great link you posted but I really don't know what have the stuff in the spreadsheet means? 

Also what is involved in setting one up?

PIA is a good one as it has Windows, Linux, Android, Mac & iOS clients available so you can just put in your password and username and off you go.

To connect your Unraid box you could even install the OpenVPN client plugin and put in the settings, but I haven't tried it as it will break Plex and other remote access I think....

Actually I might have a look at it and do some experimenting..

I will trust you and try it out, do you notice any speed difference using a VPN compared to not using one?

It's processor dependant to an extent, so not on my desktop or Unraid machine.

Binhex's Deluge container is also very good as it takes your VPN connection and makes a proxy on your LAN accessible, so you can then route other machines through that..

Been using torguard for several years now, works rather well. Mainly use it for streaming from diff countries, or of course for torrents as well. I pay about $30 a year. They have that promotional price usually during most holidays. Torguard.net is the site, can usually google to see if there are any promotions going on.

Now that I'm sitting in front of my computer, I thought I would post a little more about my PrivateInternetAccess setup.

I run two VMs on VMWare called PIA-Tunnelhttps://github.com/KaiserSoft/PIA-Tunnel

3LzA7N3.jpg

Once you install the PIA-Tunnel VM, all you need to do is configure the VM with your PIA username and password.  Above, its named "Netherlands", but below, you can see its connected to Sweden. Its connected to the failover location for some reason.  The "Texas" one is still up from when Verizon was throttling Netflix. I tunnelled through PIA to a server just up the street, and then I got full 2160p from Netflix!

SvvTYUh.jpg

Once the VM is connected, all you have to do is change the default gateway on the computer you wish to use the tunnel.  This particular one below is my torrent VM.

1kKiiGt.png

ewUVbNo.jpg

I'm used torguard for about 6 months now and have no real issues. I caught a deal and I'm paying $30 for the year. I wasn't able to stay connected at first, but I switched isp's soon after that and the problem went away. They have a windows based tool that you just login to, pick the location you want to route through and it does everything for you. I found it to slow things down a good bit, so lately I've started to use socks5 proxies in putty, flashfxp and things like that to just filter the traffic I really care about through the vpn instead of everything. StevenD, can you explain why you have things set up with the VM's instead of just using the windows based tool that I assume PIA has? Are these running on your unraid box or can they be? Thanks.

Now that I'm sitting in front of my computer, I thought I would post a little more about my PrivateInternetAccess setup.

I run two VMs on VMWare called PIA-Tunnelhttps://github.com/KaiserSoft/PIA-Tunnel

Once you install the PIA-Tunnel VM, all you need to do is configure the VM with your PIA username and password.  Above, its named "Netherlands", but below, you can see its connected to Sweden. Its connected to the failover location for some reason.  The "Texas" one is still up from when Verizon was throttling Netflix. I tunnelled through PIA to a server just up the street, and then I got full 2160p from Netflix!

Once the VM is connected, all you have to do is change the default gateway on the computer you wish to use the tunnel.

Pretty much what I do with binhex's Deluge VPN container...

Not only does it route torrents over the VPN it also gives access to a Proxy for other machines on the LAN which then routes traffic over the VPN connection.

So if I sign up for PIA I can use binhex's Deluge VPN and but the settings in there so anything SAB or whatever I download will be through the VPN?  Can my other computers use the VPN also that way or do I need to install the VPN software from PIA on each computer?

Other computers can use the proxy, I'm not a SABnzbd user so don't know about that, but I haven't found a way to get NZBGet to use a proxy..

Can one point Dockers to this?  I currently use two network cards, one for local network/firewalled non-VPN Internet (eth1) and a second to a pfSense box for VPN (eth0).  Default is everything is on VPN and what I want outside it I run in a VM to bridge to eth1 (subsonic premium, plex, other apps I want external access to using duckdns).

So if I sign up for PIA I can use binhex's Deluge VPN and but the settings in there so anything SAB or whatever I download will be through the VPN?  Can my other computers use the VPN also that way or do I need to install the VPN software from PIA on each computer?

Most newsgroup providers offer SSL connections, some offer a wide variety of ports, so in general as long as you trust your newsgroup provider and use SSL, there is nothing to be gained by using a VPN. General web downloads on your other machines and such can definitely be piped through binhex's container by using the proxy, so that along with the deluge pretty much covers it. The only other piece to the puzzle that I can think of is your newsgroup indexer connection, that may require some research to get that to route through the proxy, but it should be doable.
  • 3 weeks later...

so if I install VPN on my mac mini and have Kodi installed on the mac mini anything I stream would go through the VPN correct?  No special settings I need to use for Kodi right?  I think you guys said Kodi on unraid is just for the database so it doesn't download or stream anything, Kodi on the mac mini does that.

If the Mac Mini is connected to the VPN then I can only assume it's the same as the Windows client and all traffic is routed through the VPN.

And like I explained in the Kodi thread, the Unraid Kodi docker is for updating a centrally held database only.