Enhanced Log view with lines highlighted in color with Syslog filter

dlandon

Hello - (first post from a noob).

I recently migrated away from Nas4free having had years of uneventful (and welcomed) use. My unraid is all working very well but on 2 occasions it has stopped: Not shut down but something has stopped disallowing access via network. Console hasn't given any clues to me either.  My linux experience is v. poor. 

I believe I need to be able to write the syslog actively to a drive locally so that I can understand the nature of the problem. Does Enhanced Log viewer allow me to do this?

Forgive me if I am on the wrong thread. 

Many thanks

Tim

Capture1.PNG

• 11 months later...
8 hours ago, cjhammel said:

Color scheme for the Black theme does not work very well.

color scheme.jpg

Update the plugin and then go to Settings->Syslog Settings and go to the Colors tab and click the Default button.  This will load the new default color scheme that is more compatible with the black theme.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

With or without this plugin, the log page looks exactly the same. Am I missing something?

SOLVED: Okay, the plugin doesn't actually replace the LOG icon that is located on the top right corner, it creates a link under the TOOLS tab.

Edited by wblondel
  • 3 months later...

Running into an issue with the "Other" items:

I have enabled it in the settings and tried a couple of triggers ("Backup") but nothing seems to work. What I want to do is log my backup actions and have it highlight them... Maybe even have it trigger a red bar with a backup failure. My Log line looks like this:

logger Backup ${sequential}/${NumberOfShares} ${ShareNames[counter]} Succeeded -t$PROG_NAME

Oct 24 23:18:53 Jupiter Seagate_Backup_Plus_Drive-1: Backup 7/14 EBooks Succeded

logger Backup ${sequential}/${NumberOfShares} ${ShareNames[counter]} FAILED -t$PROG_NAME

No Example

But there is no color on the log.

Thanks

I have added Syslog filtering capability.  There are times when the Syslog is filled with debug log entries of other non-critical log entries that are clogging up the logs, but don't add any value when debugging.  The Syslog Filter lets you add log entries that you want dropped by rsyslog.  Read the original post on how to use this feature.

35 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I have added Syslog filtering capability.  There are times when the Syslog is filled with debug log entries of other non-critical log entries that are clogging up the logs, but don't add any value when debugging.  The Syslog Filter lets you add log entries that you want dropped by rsyslog.  Read the original post on how to use this feature.

How about using wildcards?

ie:

mdcmd *

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

I am not sure that would work.  Its a function of rsyslog filtering.  Have you tried?

No haven't tried, but I would guess that the property you're using is "isequal", which doesn't look like it supports wild cards (neither does "contains")  You'd have to use "startswith" or "regex".  Not a real use for this, but was simply curious

16 minutes ago, Squid said:

No haven't tried, but I would guess that the property you're using is "isequal", which doesn't look like it supports wild cards (neither does "contains")  You'd have to use "startswith" or "regex".  Not a real use for this, but was simply curious

I haven't messed with it in a while, but I seem to remember there are other possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 10:54 PM, AcidRainX said:

Is it possible to add a „tail -n xxx“ Option?

to See only the Last 1000 lines?

like in webmin logviewer...

actually i have to scroll a lot of lines, or clear the log, before Open it :(

I've added a setting so you can set how many lines to display in the log.  Default is 1000.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hey @dlandon I hope you're well. Not surprised that this thread isn't the most active as it is a rock solid piece of work and (barring only CA - which makes installing this very easy) is pretty much the first plugin I think someone should install.

Following that same train of thought.... would it be a difficult enhancement to the plugin to allow the option to replace the current syslog link with the enhanced syslog view? Much like what is done with the terminal link and the command line plugin by @dmacias??

13 hours ago, danioj said:

Hey @dlandon I hope you're well. Not surprised that this thread isn't the most active as it is a rock solid piece of work and (barring only CA - which makes installing this very easy) is pretty much the first plugin I think someone should install.

Following that same train of thought.... would it be a difficult enhancement to the plugin to allow the option to replace the current syslog link with the enhanced syslog view? Much like what is done with the terminal link and the command line plugin by @dmacias??

This hasn't been done because the Enhanced Syslog doesn't work with the Syslog Server.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:36 AM, dlandon said:

This hasn't been done because the Enhanced Syslog doesn't work with the Syslog Server.

Ah, bugger. Still, Id love a button on there which would allow me to raise it with one click no matter where I am in the GUI rather than having to click through the menus.  Saying that, not exactly a big issue.

• 2 months later...

Hello @dlandon, I am translating the plugin to Spanish and I have a question. For the Custom Match field, if someone wants to add a new search string to an event. He should use the English name of the event (i.e. "error", "minor issues", "lime tech", "array", "system", "file system", "drive related", "network", "login", "emhttp", "other") or the Spanish name? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Fraih said:

Hello @dlandon, I am translating the plugin to Spanish and I have a question. For the Custom Match field, if someone wants to add a new search string to an event. He should use the English name of the event (i.e. "error", "minor issues", "lime tech", "array", "system", "file system", "drive related", "network", "login", "emhttp", "other") or the Spanish name? Thanks!

You need to use the English name.

• 3 months later...

I am re-evaluating my development efforts with Unraid and need to cut back on some plugins that are not providing core functionality in Unraid.  This plugin will be deprecated starting with Unraid 6.9.  This plugin does not provide enough of an enhancement to the Unraid OS and I don't have the time to continue development efforts.

• 1 year later...

Any chance that another developer could continue the support? The functionality is built into Unraid for serval years and i miss this function with 6.10. At least I am not aware that I have installed a plugin for this manually before.

I am wondering why the system log in the tools tab still has colored log messages with 6.10. Would it not be possible to continue to display the docker and vm logs in this way, or at least offer this as an option?