Enhanced Log view with lines highlighted in color with Syslog filter

dlandon

This is a plugin that was inspired by the unmenu log view that highlighted certain lines in the log in color for ease in finding significant events.  Each line of the log is checked for events that may be significant and they are highlighted in a color representative of that event.  I used unmenu when I was on Unraid V4 and really liked the highlighted log feature.

The event strings that are searched were taken from the unmenu syslog configuration file.  Those event strings were mostly developed in the V4 days and are not totally up to the V6 events.  For example the only file system in those days was reiserfs. Now Unraid includes xfs and btrfs.  I expect that additional event strings will be added because of the V6 changes.

The plugin can be installed through "Community Applications".

The plugin adds an "Enhanced Log" entry in the Tools tab.  There is an icon in the 'Settings' page to configure which log events are highlighted - "Errors", "Minor Issues", etc.  This allows you to highlight only the areas you want to view.  You can also set the colors you want for the various log events.

If you feel there are events in the log that need to be highlighted, please post a snipet of the log with those events so I can add the search strings to highlight the log event.

Syslog Filter

There are times when debug or other repeating log entries will clog up the Syslog.  You can filter out these log entries from appearing at all in the Syslog.  The filter apples to log entries in Unraid Syslog and the Syslog Server logs.

Enter the text in the "Syslog FiIlter" that you want filtered and then click apply.  Each entry is on a separate line and needs to have a leading and training double quote.  Click apply to apply the filter.

You only use the log message itself and not the date/time or source for the filter.  For example:

Dec 15 11:04:02 BackupServer unassigned.devices: Removing old config...

To filter this log entry, enter this:

"Removing old config..."

into the Syslog Filter dialog.

Edited by dlandon
  • Upvote 1

Love it, but I'm having a display issue on my MacBook Pro 13". If I have Safari running at full screen, the log itself is shoved over to the right of the screen (see picture below). If I am not running full screen it works fine, except that then the WebGUI toolbar does't fit anymore.

Update and try it.

This is great. I was able to spot a cache_dirs error I had missed with the plain logs (folder included that no longer exists). I see some false positive RED formatting logging the install of Nerdpack on boot (innocuous word matches me thinks).

Post that red log entry and I'll see if I can revise the search strings to skip that.

false positive red entries

Dec 17 14:30:48 Tower logger: # calls and dumping the information to the standard error.  System

Dec 17 14:30:50 Tower logger: # is reliable, that is any non-fatal error is ignored and the operation

Dec 17 14:31:14 Tower logger: # supported by the Linux kernel.  Apple provides mkfs and fsck for

I can see why the first two are listed because they explicitly have the word "error" in the message. I think those would require explicit false positive phrase rejection to keep it from showing up.

Not sure on the last one, unless the word "kernel" is a trigger.

Then again perhaps it's the word Apple, which is very dangerous. ;)

1. Error is the match.

2. fsck is the match.  Not sure why 'fsck' is in the search list.

Dec 17 14:30:48 Tower logger: # calls and dumping the information to the standard error.  System

Dec 17 14:30:50 Tower logger: # is reliable, that is any non-fatal error is ignored and the operation

Dec 17 14:31:14 Tower logger: # supported by the Linux kernel.  Apple provides mkfs and fsck for

Thise are comment lines.  I've made it so those are skipped.

Thise are comment lines.  I've made it so those are skipped.

Cool. I was going to post the false positive BLUE lines but they too are comment lines and figured you might go this route for filtering.  :)

New release is available.

New features:

- You can now set which types of log events you want highlighted and the color used for each event.  The colors can be entered by name or color number.

- The log can be scrolled and the color legend will not scroll off the page.

- Comment lines are no longer highlighted.

I will probably take the beta status off this plugin in a few days.

EDIT: To get the color selection feature to work, uninstall and then re-install the plugin.