Dynamix webGUI - test drivers required - please update to 6.1.7

bonienl

Dec 22 19:09:23 Tower sshd[22152]: Received disconnect from : 11: disconnected by user
Dec 22 19:19:52 Tower sshd[12117]: Received disconnect from : 11: disconnected by user
Dec 22 19:57:17 Tower sshd[20064]: Accepted publickey for root from  port 52621 ssh2: RSA 
Dec 22 22:01:03 Tower sshd[20064]: Received disconnect from : 11: disconnected by user

The above messages get red color coded but they are not errors

BTW, I love the new log! Thumbs up!

EDIT:

sorry, my bad the color is orange and looks very close to red. They're not errors. Can the login color be changed to something more neutral?

@bonienl ... am I to understand from the above that you're doing log file coloring? Because if so, are you aware of this, http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44813.0

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@bonienl ... am I to understand from the above that you're doing log file coloring? Because if so, are you aware of this, http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44813.0

Yes I know about the plugin dlandon is developing. His approach is based on the functionality as is present in unmenu, and I suppose it suites more for people who like to continue on the unmenu way.

The coloring within Dynamix follows a more minimalistic approach and tries to keep the highlighting as low as possible.

The docker screen....

Ok, I found out that the window height function of jquery isn't that reliable. Instead I turned to good old javascript and take the screen sizes.

It's getting boring ... another update is available!

I don't know how to break this to you, it's still no different.  But I've got pretty used to it now, and can see the benefits, so you could just leave it the way it is...  ;)

I started this route to get it right...  ;D

I've made several tests, though I don't have a true 1366x768 monitor, I change my resolution to simulate it. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Below a screenshot of the latest version 2015.12.23e. I use the plugin page as an example since I don't have that many Dockers installed, but they have work the same way (as does the VM page).

In my case the table is properly resized to fit in the screen. I have tested this in Chrome and Edge. Do you use a different browser?

screen1366x768.png.8289e12ee83bd8563d2027713edbda4d.png

Yes I know about the plugin dlandon is developing. His approach is based on the functionality as is present in unmenu, and I suppose it suites more for people who like to continue on the unmenu way.

The coloring within Dynamix follows a more minimalistic approach and tries to keep the highlighting as low as possible.

Ahh fair enough.

FWIW his lets you toggle the various highlights so that it can be as complex or minimalist as a person would like. I just figured there might be utility to a single merged effort, but its no skin off my back either way. I'll choose whichever works best for me as things develop. :)

I started this route to get it right...  ;D

I've made several tests, though I don't have a true 1366x768 monitor, I change my resolution to simulate it. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Below a screenshot of the latest version 2015.12.23e. I use the plugin page as an example since I don't have that many Dockers installed, but they have work the same way (as does the VM page).

In my case the table is properly resized to fit in the screen. I have tested this in Chrome and Edge. Do you use a different browser?

Nope, I'm using Chrome & Firefox...

Do you want me to do some testing locally, point me to the relevant bit of code and I'll happily do so.

Do you want me to do some testing locally, point me to the relevant bit of code and I'll happily do so.

Yes, I'll need your assistance here cause I can't replicate the issue myself.

Go to the file /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/DockerContainers.page

Near the end of this file you'll find javascript code, look for these lines:

var h = $('#docker_list').height();
  var s = Math.max(screen.height-400,380);
  var widths = [];

Can you add the following temp code after the section mentioned above

alert('screen size='+screen.height+', var s='+s);

Now when you visit the Docker page a javascript alert will popup, let me know the values.

These numbers are correct!

I went back to review your earlier picture of the Dockers page, and on second thought this picture is correct/expected. It scales down the height of the installed Dockers table to fit the screen. There is a bit of page scrolling left because under the table there is an additional button.

Not sure what you are expecting, but to my eye there isn't a problem ;)

Shouldn't this be based on the window size instead of the screen size? Even with the browser maximized the window size will vary depending on toolbars and other things beyond your control.

You are in principle correct and my initial coding used the window size to determine the table height. Until I started experimenting with different screen resolutions and found that not always the correct window size is reported. This might be a bug in the browser (using Chrome) but using the screen size at least is consistent throughout various screen resolutions. The side-effect is that you need to scroll when the browser window isn't maximized.

Shouldn't this be based on the window size instead of the screen size? Even with the browser maximized the window size will vary depending on toolbars and other things beyond your control.

You are in principle correct and my initial coding used the window size to determine the table height. Until I started experimenting with different screen resolutions and found that not always the correct window size is reported. This might be a bug in the browser (using Chrome) but using the screen size at least is consistent throughout various screen resolutions. The side-effect is that you need to scroll when the browser isn't maximized.

1924189728_668c4bc4e2.jpg

So you can't make it fit my screen then?  ;D

bonienl I think we got confused at my initial comment.  In general I'm not a fan of scrollbars within browser windows.  It confuses me, although I have to say I'm getting used to your implementation and can definitely see the benefits...

I went back to review your earlier picture of the Dockers page, and on second thought this picture is correct/expected. It scales down the height of the installed Dockers table to fit the screen. There is a bit of page scrolling left because under the table there is an additional button.

To my eye, nested scrollbars shouldn't happen unless they provide some feature of the UI, which is probably almost never. The scrollable area should be smaller so there is room for the button and the automatic browser scrollbar shouldn't appear.

To my eye, nested scrollbars shouldn't happen unless they provide some feature of the UI, which is probably almost never. The scrollable area should be smaller so there is room for the button and the automatic browser scrollbar shouldn't appear.

In the latest version I have lowered the table height and allow the button to be displayed. This works well in Chrome and Edge, but haven't tested other browsers (they all have different sizes for their real-estate).

Thanks for converting this to a plugin, I went ahead and updated one of my servers from 6.1.4 to 6.1.6.

Is there a need for dynamix.smart.test-2015.11.22.txz any longer?  If not, maybe this plugin could delete it along with the other hot fixes?

> natural sorting of user shares and disk shares

Can you describe what that means?  My abbreviated share list is sorted like this now:

- Data

- Movies

- appdata

- cache_backup

I would expect to see uppercase and lowercase letters mixed together in the same list.

> color coding for syslog, disk log and live log stream

This looks great!

> dynamic table height setting for long lists, no more page scrolling

> The side-effect is that you need to scroll when the browser window isn't maximized.

Please don't base anything on screen size.  I never maximize my browser windows.

thanks!

> dynamic table height setting for long lists, no more page scrolling

> The side-effect is that you need to scroll when the browser window isn't maximized.

Please don't base anything on screen size.  I never maximize my browser windows.

I'm absolutely the same way. I will be really pissed off if there is no way of turning off any sort of automatic internal scroll bar behavior. I don't want the dashboard UI to have any scroll bars of it's own. That's what I use the browser for.

I'm absolutely the same way. I will be really pissed off if there is no way of turning off any sort of automatic internal scroll bar behavior. I don't want the dashboard UI to have any scroll bars of it's own. That's what I use the browser for.

If you had read the topics then you came along this one.

Though I might consider an option to select the desired behavior.

If you had read the topics then you came along this one.

Though I might consider an option to select the desired behavior.

The "none" scrolling only happens on a limited number of pages, those which (can) produce very long lists:

Under Tools -> Archived Notifications, Processes, System Log, Page Map, Vars

In addition the listings of Plugins, Dockers and VMs have this feature.

More context would help, such as listing the various settings and their behavior.

I'm not certain on what exactly "none scrolling" means, behavior wise. Does it mean no scrolling by the browser? Or does it mean no internal scroll bars? So is that setting for the scroll bars and not really about scrolling?

Thanks for converting this to a plugin, I went ahead and updated one of my servers from 6.1.4 to 6.1.6.

Is there a need for dynamix.smart.test-2015.11.22.txz any longer?  If not, maybe this plugin could delete it along with the other hot fixes?

The earlier packages are incorporated in this plugin and the plugin will remove them if found.

> natural sorting of user shares and disk shares

Can you describe what that means?  My abbreviated share list is sorted like this now:

- Data

- Movies

- appdata

- cache_backup

I would expect to see uppercase and lowercase letters mixed together in the same list.

First the natural sorting only happens on the items which are shown when a "compute" is done. I realize it isn't very clearly explained.

Natural sorting will put names in alphabetic order regardless of case and sort numbers based on their value, e.g

Disk 1

Disk 2

Disk 3

Disk 10

First, this only applies to a few pages, namely those which produce long lists. Impact is not as big as many people think.

I might consider an option to select old and new behavior though.

More context would help, such as listing the various settings and their behavior.

I'm not certain on what exactly "none scrolling" means, behavior wise. Does it mean no scrolling by the browser? Or does it mean no internal scroll bars? So is that setting for the scroll bars and not really about scrolling?

May I suggest you install the plugin and test yourself, seeing the actual thing explains a lot more than I can ever explain here. Besides it gives you the oppertunity to give feedback.

Please extend everyone some good will and implement a toggle setting before you release anything via the official update that forces this internal scroll bar behavior on everyone.

Thank you.

I don't need to test anything out to be able to explain how much I always hate and despise any internal scroll bars on browser pages. I will always prefer to use the browser's own scroll bars to navigate. :)