Ability to change default allocation of / or /tmp

ajm

Currently got 16G of RAM in my server and looks like half of this gets assigned to root / partition, which includes a /tmp path

Using Plex Media Server and I wanted to transcode to RAM for efficiency, so I map /transcode to /tmp in the PMS docker. However, given / is limited to 8GB, plex can then only transcode files that fit into the 8GB limitation of the root FS.

It might be useful (to me, maybe others) if you can configure the default size of root, or even better, setup /tmp as a separate thing so then you can just configure how much memory is assigned to /tmp. :)

I may just be a fringe use case however ...

Currently got 16G of RAM in my server and looks like half of this gets assigned to root / partition, which includes a /tmp path

Using Plex Media Server and I wanted to transcode to RAM for efficiency, so I map /transcode to /tmp in the PMS docker. However, given / is limited to 8GB, plex can then only transcode files that fit into the 8GB limitation of the root FS.

It might be useful (to me, maybe others) if you can configure the default size of root, or even better, setup /tmp as a separate thing so then you can just configure how much memory is assigned to /tmp. :)

I may just be a fringe use case however ...

I ran in the same 'limitation', now instead I let /transcode point to a folder on my cache pool, which is SSD. This works brilliant.

I ran in the same 'limitation', now instead I let /transcode point to a folder on my cache pool, which is SSD. This works brilliant.

Hi bonienl,

Yep I'm going to do that too, just seems sort of inefficient to write a large file to non-volatile storage when the payload is inherently volatile/temporary. If the ability to flex the size of /tmp was added, based on ones own use case or workload, it would be great. :)