Unraid 6.1.6 - Symlinks are not deleted from cache drive when files are moved?

m3ki

I have been browsing around on my array and just was surprised to see many folders still remaining on my cache drive when I realised why.

It seems that there were files left inside those folders. Many of the projects I have contain symlinks to files inside of same folders.

It seems that the mover process moves and recreates symlinks from cache -> array; but then it doesn't delete symlinks on the cache drive.

Is this normal?

• 1 month later...

I have not looked at what Mover actually invokes in a long time... but this behavior I think is the default behavior of Mover (which is really Rsync)

If you look at the Rsync manpage it has this to say about Symbolic Links:

SYMBOLIC LINKS

Three basic behaviors are possible when rsync encounters a symbolic link in the source directory. 

By default, symbolic links are not transferred at all. A message "skipping non-regular" file is emitted for any symlinks that exist. 

If --links is specified, then symlinks are recreated with the same target on the destination. Note that --archive implies --links. 

If --copy-links is specified, then symlinks are "collapsed" by copying their referent, rather than the symlink. 

Rsync can also distinguish "safe" and "unsafe" symbolic links. An example where this might be used is a web site mirror that wishes to ensure that the rsync module that is copied does not include symbolic links to /etc/passwd in the public section of the site. Using --copy-unsafe-links will cause any links to be copied as the file they point to on the destination. Using --safe-links will cause unsafe links to be omitted altogether. (Note that you must specify --links for --safe-links to have any effect.) 

Symbolic links are considered unsafe if they are absolute symlinks (start with /), empty, or if they contain enough ".." components to ascend from the directory being copied. 

Here's a summary of how the symlink options are interpreted. The list is in order of precedence, so if your combination of options isn't mentioned, use the first line that is a complete subset of your options: 

--copy-links Turn all symlinks into normal files (leaving no symlinks for any other options to affect). 

--links --copy-unsafe-links Turn all unsafe symlinks into files and duplicate all safe symlinks. 

--copy-unsafe-links Turn all unsafe symlinks into files, noisily skip all safe symlinks. 

--links --safe-links Duplicate safe symlinks and skip unsafe ones. 

--links Duplicate all symlinks. 

I'm not sure if this helps, or if messing with this could cause major problems.... just pointing at the source info.