UnRAID Manual 6 (Downloadable/Printable PDF)

Frank1940 has made a PDF file of the LimeTech v6 Manual

He has generated a PDF file of the jonp documentation by copying it into MS Word and formatting it to look like a printed manual complete with a Table of Contents.  However it is larger than the 192KB limit (even after he zipped it) so he couldn't upload it to the forum as an attachment. 

Here is a link to Frank1940's PDF file that he has made available to Unraid users..

It is downloadable and if you care to all 69 pages are printable as a PDF file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55205296/UnRAID%20Manual%206.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5irgjx7yhtuywh/UnRAID%20Manual%206.pdf?dl=0

Many Thanks to thestewman for agreeing to share this link for the PDF file which I generated using the Text material which LimeTech posted up in their online manual which is found here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6

I did not edit any of the text itself but only constructed the Table of Contents to allow the reader to find the relevant information in the within the document.  From the information at the end of the link above, the last edit was date was July 7, 2015.  This PDF file may be out-of-date one of these days, but I have the feeling that it may not be any time soon. 

You might be wondering why I put this document together.  Well, I am an old codger who is much more comfortable working on a system when I have a real paper manual in front of me so I can check off each step as I do it.  It also seems like I can never locate that elusive on-line reference/manual when a panic situation suddenly happens at about 10:30 at night.  Plus, the system needing attention is usually well away from any computer monitor that I can easily seen while I am buried with my nose inside the system case.  And I have the feeling that I not the only one...

Moderator edit: fix url

Thinking about this a bit -- Limetech should host this PDF !!  I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't want to have an easily downloadable manual available for all of their customers.

The only issue is the currency of it -- as the online manual changes, the PDF would be out-of-date ... but an "as of" date for both the on-line manual and the available PDF would help mitigate that => and may encourage someone [either at LT or a volunteer like Frank  :) ] to update the PDF from time-to-time.

Thinking about this a bit -- Limetech should host this PDF !!  I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't want to have an easily downloadable manual available for all of their customers.

The only issue is the currency of it -- as the online manual changes, the PDF would be out-of-date ... but an "as of" date for both the on-line manual and the available PDF would help mitigate that => and may encourage someone [either at LT or a volunteer like Frank  :) ] to update the PDF from time-to-time.

We are not going to maintain our docs in both wiki and PDF form at this time.  Franks efforts here are much appreciated, but PDF versions of our docs will need to be community maintained for now.

We are not going to maintain our docs in both wiki and PDF form at this time.  Franks efforts here are much appreciated, but PDF versions of our docs will need to be community maintained for now.

The last  edit  date for the UnRaid 6 manual was July 7, 2015.

If I miss an update a PM or post to this page should alert me and I will update the PDF manual

I wasn't suggested you maintain the PDF => only that you host it.

I don't see the point. Whether it's hosted by us or not really doesn't matter.

Just the convenience of having a direct download on the site ... I agree it doesn't really matter [the same thing could be accomplished by simply having a link to the Dropbox account where it's hosted now].    A casual user who isn't active in the forum wouldn't even know the PDF existed if he/she clicked on "Support - Documentation" on the LimeTech web page.

Just the convenience of having a direct download on the site ... I agree it doesn't really matter [the same thing could be accomplished by simply having a link to the Dropbox account where it's hosted now].    A casual user who isn't active in the forum wouldn't even know the PDF existed if he/she clicked on "Support - Documentation" on the LimeTech web page.

Yet if we host it on the website, it implies its officially supported.  There will be an expectation that it will be maintained and when we update the wiki, users who stumble across the outdated PDF will probably be even more confused.

Most users will probably be just fine using the wiki as opposed to a PDF.  I get some folks like a printed manual, but that is definitely not the way of the world for software products like ours that change so frequently with new releases.

Yet if we host it on the website, it implies its officially supported.  There will be an expectation that it will be maintained and when we update the wiki, users who stumble across the outdated PDF will probably be even more confused.

Most users will probably be just fine using the wiki as opposed to a PDF.  I get some folks like a printed manual, but that is definitely not the way of the world for software products like ours that change so frequently with new releases.

I just checked and the Wiki has the manual for v4.7

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Wiki

Perhaps look into better trools, such as automatic html to pdf conversions.

We will do that when the need is clearly demonstrated that folks can't survive without a PDF copy of the manual.  I don't really think this is an issue for the majority of folks, so until someone proves that it is, we won't sweat bullets on it.

In fact, I see that you are using mediawiki. A quick search for "mediawiki + pdf" yielded the top result: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Export

EDIT: I also see from the 4.7 link above that there is a "printable version" link http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Manual&printable=yes ... this won't give a ToC with clickable links, but if you're actually physically printing, I don't think that works with paper ;-)  It is limited however, in practical functionality, for pages that are "complete" otherwise you'd have to select each page you're interested, open the printable version, and then print it.

Perhaps one of the Moderators could make this topic a 'Sticky' one.  That would made it easier to find the PDF file and absolve LimeTech of any involvement (implied or otherwise) in maintaining two documents. 

It actually took me about six to eight hours to do the conversion.  The big thing was going through the document and assigning the proper format to EVERY topic heading so that MS Word's TOC function could built the Table of Contents.  I also resized all of the graphics so that they would 'fit' properly on each page.  I did not take the time to edit the PDF file to put in dynamic Bookmarks (Which are the Table of Contents in the electronic usage of PDF's) linking to the appropriate topics in the document. 

I did not take the time to edit the PDF file to put in dynamic Bookmarks (Which are the Table of Contents in the electronic usage of PDF's) linking to the appropriate topics in the document.

That is an Option in Word when you Save As PDF vice printing to PDF. I just tested it to be sure in Office 2013. I don't know about earlier versions.

I did not take the time to edit the PDF file to put in dynamic Bookmarks (Which are the Table of Contents in the electronic usage of PDF's) linking to the appropriate topics in the document.

That is an Option in Word when you Save As PDF vice printing to PDF. I just tested it to be sure in Office 2013. I don't know about earlier versions.

I am still using Word 2002.  (See, I really am an old codger.)  I am using Adobe Acrobat X which I got when my grandson was in High School and I got him to purchase me the student version.  I really like it as it allows me a lot of options when printing Photo Albums.  It is amazing the difference that the different settings on graphics compression can have on the embedded graphic material in a PDF file.  (I currently use a 2560x1600 monitor on my computer.  I have no doubt that when I buy the next one, it have an even higher resolution.  I remember that the first color monitor I bought was a 800X600 and I did not think anyone would EVER have need for one with higher resolution!) 

The reason for these settings in PDF printer driver lays in the distant history of the PDF format.  It was developed to allow computers to output files that could be used to directly generate the plates and control the typesetting necessary to print large runs of printed material in the publishing world.  It is still performs that function but often now is simply used to allow local printing of documents that are expected to formatted in a certain way.  (Think of government forms like tax forms that we have probably now all downloaded since you can't seem to find them pre-printed anywhere now. The State of Ohio does not even mail out their 1040ES tax forms to pre-pay the state income tax anymore!)

In fact, I see that you are using mediawiki. A quick search for "mediawiki + pdf" yielded the top result: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Export

EDIT: I also see from the 4.7 link above that there is a "printable version" link http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Manual&printable=yes ... this won't give a ToC with clickable links, but if you're actually physically printing, I don't think that works with paper ;-)  It is limited however, in practical functionality, for pages that are "complete" otherwise you'd have to select each page you're interested, open the printable version, and then print it.

Yup. That's what I meant,  just to spend tiny amount of time finding proper tools to automate things.

I am still using Word 2002.  (See, I really am an old codger.) ...  (I currently use a 2560x1600 monitor on my computer.  I have no doubt that when I buy the next one, it have an even higher resolution.  I remember that the first color monitor I bought was a 800X600 and I did not think anyone would EVER have need for one with higher resolution!) 

I can't guess who's older but let me just say ...

BAH YOU YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS!!! I remember when I had nothing but the green glow of a moving turtle to keep me warm at night!!! You with your fancy shmancy color monitors!!!

• Haha 1

I am still using Word 2002.  (See, I really am an old codger.) ...  (I currently use a 2560x1600 monitor on my computer.  I have no doubt that when I buy the next one, it have an even higher resolution.  I remember that the first color monitor I bought was a 800X600 and I did not think anyone would EVER have need for one with higher resolution!) 

BAH YOU YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS!!! I remember when I had nothing but the green glow of a moving turtle to keep me warm at night!!! You with your fancy shmancy color monitors!!!

Get off my lawn you fancy sshmancy CRT-using whipper snappers... oops my job is done, need to collect my punch cards.

• Like 1

Get off my lawn you fancy sshmancy CRT-using whipper snappers... oops my job is done, need to collect my punch cards.

There's always at least one neck beard in the group  ;D