unRaid OS 6 on gaming PC and using surface book

jakebake

Hey guys! Sorry if my questions have already been answered, but I am really trying to get specific answers to my situation. I do not know how to do this stuff very well so I am just trying to see if it is possible. Right now I have a pretty weak PC I built a few years back to run unraid and use it as a NAS. I have not had it running in a few months and just found out about unraid os 6 and the new capabilities it offers.

I also just bought a Surface Book for school. It is the model with i5/256gb ssd/ and dgpu.

I really like the laptop however it is a little expensive. I really like the idea of being able to play games on it sometimes however I may not do this very often and it is pretty expensive for something I will not use often. I am also just learning how to code and in an investment class I am in at school we use SQL and I am also learning python. Will any of this benefit from the dgpu? I am considering taking this back and buying a model without the dgpu.

If I take this back and buy a model without the dgpu that is where my questions come in.

I was thinking about either upgrading my current unraid server to unraid os 6 or using my current gaming pc which is currently in my sig and having both unraid and windows 10 on it. I do not know that much about virtualizatoin so I do not know if it is possible but I also do not want to lose any performance and if I will it might be better to have them in separate cases.

With unraid virtualization capabilities would it be possible to use the graphics card connected to the unraid server and play games on the surface book? I know steam can possibly do this but I do not play a lot of games from steam. One of my most played games is heroes of the storm.

thanks guys!

I really like the laptop however it is a little expensive. I really like the idea of being able to play games on it sometimes however I may not do this very often and it is pretty expensive for something I will not use often. I am also just learning how to code and in an investment class I am in at school we use SQL and I am also learning python. Will any of this benefit from the dgpu? I am considering taking this back and buying a model without the dgpu.

I don't think the dgpu is going to benefit you for steam in-home streaming from another device.  I stream from my beefy gaming rig to my MacBook Air 2011 and it seems to work just fine (though a better wireless connection could help me a bit).  This is a core i5 1.7 GHz from years back.

With unraid virtualization capabilities would it be possible to use the graphics card connected to the unraid server and play games on the surface book? I know steam can possibly do this but I do not play a lot of games from steam. One of my most played games is heroes of the storm.

I boil down your entire post to one question:  can I stream heroes of the storm (and maybe some other games) from a VM on unRAID to a laptop.  Here's a video someone did showing how they got Heroes of the Storm to stream through Steam In Home Streaming (ignore the "to linux" part of the video name, if it works "to linux" it works to any OS).

There are other game streaming technologies you can look into as well, including Project Moonlight.  In short, you should be able to make lots of games work through Steam In Home Streaming, even if they weren't actually purchased through Steam.

I don't think the dgpu is going to benefit you for steam in-home streaming from another device.  I stream from my beefy gaming rig to my MacBook Air 2011 and it seems to work just fine (though a better wireless connection could help me a bit).  This is a core i5 1.7 GHz from years back.

I boil down your entire post to one question:  can I stream heroes of the storm (and maybe some other games) from a VM on unRAID to a laptop.  Here's a video someone did showing how they got Heroes of the Storm to stream through Steam In Home Streaming (ignore the "to linux" part of the video name, if it works "to linux" it works to any OS).

There are other game streaming technologies you can look into as well, including Project Moonlight.  In short, you should be able to make lots of games work through Steam In Home Streaming, even if they weren't actually purchased through Steam.

Thank you for your reply! I did actually find this and got Heroes working with in home streaming. I think I forgot that I could do this without having it on the unraid server and I was thinking we could make it be able to stream any game. Would a remote desktop work or this would be way too slow? Also, is there a way to get it to work when say at a friends house or something? I was also wanting to use it so I could run anything from my gaming PC like photoshop or something on my laptop and benefit from the gpu.

You can't use microsoft remote desktop to stream games.  It won't work. Remote desktop would be good for launching your other apps that can leverage the GPU for more horsepower.

Trying to do game streaming over the internet to a friends house is also not the greatest idea unless you have crazy good internet and play games that aren't super sensitive to input latency (no call of duty ;-).