How does Parity work in unraid ?

Made the switch to unraid last night, long time freenas user.

How does Parity work in unraid?

I understand how zfs raids work in freenas, in regards to number of disk and to size but when I set up unraid last night it only shows one Parity disk? Is this normal or do I have to add more Parity disk to have the entire array protected?

I have set one of my 3TB disk to the parity disk and one 3TB in the array along with 8 1TB drive.

my set up

M/B: Supermicro - X9SCL/X9SCM

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1280 V2 @ 3.60GHz

Memory: 16384 MB

lsi 9240-8i flashed to lsi 9211-8it mode HBA

8 1TB hds and 2 3TB hds

unRAID uses xor style parity protection. Which provides a single disk failure protection but also maximizes the amount of storage / protection space when compared to other forms of RAID.

Also because disks are not striped you can pull the disk and put them in another system that can understand the file system... (you can't do this with normal raid systems)

this is old, and totally low budget, but I feel it does a pretty good job of verbalizing what that link is showing.

Mind blown....

Great video  ;D

So is there a way to increase parity ? So you can have more than one drive fail at once?

Not at this time, but I hear that Lime-Tech is working on the long awaited Dual Parity solution for 6.2. (Two parity disks, double fault tolerance)

Now that said, there is no info on when 6.2 will be ready so it could be months or longer. But there has been a little bit of info come out very recently which makes me think good progress is happening...