[SOLVED] Converting V5 to V6. KEY???

CDLehner

You don't need to do anything.  If you are using the same flash drive on v6 that you were using on v5, everything will work.  BUT, your .key file has to be within the CONFIG folder on the flash drive (v5 didn't enforce that requirement)

Oh, OK; so I just take my old .key...out of the Flash back-up, and put it in Config of the current Flash set-up for V6?

You don't need to do anything.  If you are using the same flash drive on v6 that you were using on v5, everything will work.  BUT, your .key file has to be within the CONFIG folder on the flash drive (v5 didn't enforce that requirement)

Oh, OK; so I just take my old .key...out of the Flash back-up, and put it in Config of the current Flash set-up for V6?

Yep. 

Yup; good. Chugging along with the video.

When assigning drives to the array...is it more important that the right drive, go in the right disk slot; or the (sdx)?

For example: disk 4 assignment was this.

disk1_zpsvl7pgfqp.png

Now...xxx38RH, is (sdc). So...

xxx38RH to disk 4, even though it's (sdc) now; or the new (sdd)??

unRAID v6 does not care about either position or the sdX value as it identifies disk by their serial number.  In fact it is possible for the sdX values to change between boots (although in practise they rarely do) as they are assigned dynamically as the disks are recognised.

Data disks can also be assigned in any order without affecting parity.  The disk you do not want to get wrong is the parity disk as if you accidentally assigned a data disk containing data as the parity disk then when the array is started its contents would be destroyed.

unRAID v6 does not care about either position or the sdX value as it identifies disk by their serial number.  In fact it is possible for the sdX values to change between boots (although in practise they rarely do) as they are assigned dynamically as the disks are recognised.

Data disks can also be assigned in any order without affecting parity.  The disk you do not want to get wrong is the parity disk as if you accidentally assigned a data disk containing data as the parity disk then when the array is started its contents would be destroyed.

Got it! Parity-Sync is running. Wow; V6 looks so polished and robust! And, as usual; best support forum on the Net  8)