Trying to create a mount to a USB Shared drive from a router...

I want to mount a USB Shared drive (mounted in a router usb port) and copy some files from the Unraid directly to it. I am completely novice on Linex.

First off, I actually couldn't find any directories. Tried LS, and got this:

mdcmd" powerdoen@ samba@

So, anyway, I found a post that seems to say I need to do something like this:

mkdir /mnt/remote_share

mount -t cifs //remote_machine/remote_share /mnt/remote_share

So, I did a login as root, and from there I tried this:

mkdir /mnt/remote_share

mount -t cifs -o user=test,password=test//10.0.0.1/TP-SHARE /mnt/remote_share

where:

10.0.0.1 is my router; TP-SHARE is the Network Neighborhood share.

I get the error: No such device exists; trying with upper case; Mount error, no such device exists.

I notice that from windows, I see the path is Network >TP-SHARE>sda1. So I tried adding the sda1 after TP-SHARE in the command and get the same results.

Any ideas?

Ummm...not sure.

I can CD /mnt/Disk1, but I cannot CD /mnt/Disk1/Music. Says it doesn't exist. When I CD /mnt/Disk1, and do an ls, I do see Music as one of the drirectories.

So, for this thread, I'm having no luck CDing to directories, nor creating shares to the drive hooked to my router.

I apologize. I've confused a few things by doing multiple posts, and probably have confused all that in my replies. I'll elaborate here.

You know Linux is case sensitive right?

I know very little about Linux (I am quite familiar with DOS from years ago)...I apologize about my lack of Linux knowledge. I do realize it is case sensitive.

Reading your post again, I'm still not entirely sure what you're trying to do. 

Sounds like you are trying to make a share that spans all disks, which you can do from Unraid webui.  Have a look at the V6 wiki and read about User Shares.

I'll try to be clearer. Let me lay it out. Was probably trying to be brief and then didn't say enough  (as well as confusing multiple posts). What I want to be able to do is:

High Level goal: Copy files from a share on the Unraid server to a drive mounted via usb on a wireless router.

But when I telnet to the Linux server that is running Unraid, I notice that each of the 4 drives has the same directories. For example, from Windows looking at the Unraid server I see a share of Music, but physically it is spread across 4 drives on Unraid. But when I login as root via Telnet, I cannot change to the Music directory on any of those drives. For example, I can cd to Disk1, do ls and see Music, but can't CD to music. In the end, I would like to have Music in 1 share from telnet, so I can copy all those files to the drive on the router.

The Share Name is TP-SHARE. Although when I did the picture I posted here, I notice that while I created the share in upper case, it shows up in Windows in lower case. I've tried both cases in the commands below.

Hopefully my goal now is clearer.

I can successfully see the drive from the router on my PC, which shows up in Networks as tp-share, and what I would normally consider the share name in Windows was automatically created by the router and is sda1 (see graphic):

share_zpshyss0q2e.png

I created a directory under mnt called remote_share. I entered this command:

mount -t cifs -o user=roger,password=1316 //10.0.0.1/tp-share /mnt/remote_share

It also tried it like this:

mount -t cifs -o user=roger,password=1316 //10.0.0.1/tp-share/sda1 /mnt/remote_share

Neither of those succeed creating the share.

So, in conclusion: I cannot create a share for my drive on the router; I don't know how to attempt to create a share for the Music directories that are on each drive; and I cannot even change to the directories on those drives....all of this from a telnet session logged in as root.

A way easier method to accomplish this would be to plug the drive into your Unraid box and mount it directly in Unraid with the Unassigned Devices plugin.

I didn't realize I could use a USB drive in the Unraid box. Cool.

I would want it to be stand alone...not in the raid. And I want to be able to copy to it w/o using a PC in the middle. (I"m finding reading from the Unraid box to be very very slow. I don't understand why. LIke max of 1MB/s.

A way easier method to accomplish this would be to plug the drive into your Unraid box and mount it directly in Unraid with the Unassigned Devices plugin.

I would want it to be stand alone...not in the raid. And I want to be able to copy to it w/o using a PC in the middle. (I"m finding reading from the Unraid box to be very very slow. I don't understand why. LIke max of 1MB/s.

You could put it in the unRAID box, or you can mount network shares with the Unassigned Devices plugin also.

Your transfer speed is possibly a network problem, or possibly a hardware problem with disks, cables, or controllers. Go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the complete diagnostics zip.

Ok.

The music share which will encompass all the music directories on each disk is located here

/mnt/user/music

You don't create it, Unraid pools them for you.

I've not tried mounting in Unraid as I have no need.  But I would try

mount -t cifs -o user=roger,password=1316 //10.0.0.1/tp-share/sda1 /mnt/user/remote_share

after making a remote_share folder on any disk you want

I'll try to get the diagnostics zip.

I should mention I am on v5, and having just searched, looks like I"d need to upgrade to 6 to use that plugin. That may negate the ease.

I thought it a network problem too. Just moved into a new house. But I can plug into the wired port on the router, that the Unraid is also plugged into, and still only 1MB/s.

So, it may be hardware based. Really wierd.

I'll try to get the diagnostics zip.

I should mention I am on v5, and having just searched, looks like I"d need to upgrade to 6 to use that plugin. That may negate the ease.

I thought it a network problem too. Just moved into a new house. But I can plug into the wired port on the router, that the Unraid is also plugged into, and still only 1MB/s.

So, it may be hardware based. Really wierd.

Just upgrade to V6 now, there's plenty of guidance on the forums and most of us can't support V5 because we don't run it anymore.

It would be stand alone, it's like plugging a USB drive into Windows, you can even share it on the network.

You've mostly confused things by starting multiple threads about this. Please don't do that. It wastes everyones time because some people may be responding in one place and other people may be saying the same things in the other place. I am going to merge your threads.

I did figure that out. The questions came up at separate times, but ultimately do belong in the same thread. Sorry about that. I'll keep in this thread.

Ok.

The music share which will encompass all the music directories on each disk is located here

/mnt/user/music

You don't create it, Unraid pools them for you.

I've not tried mounting in Unraid as I have no need.  But I would try

mount -t cifs -o user=roger,password=1316 //10.0.0.1/tp-share/sda1 /mnt/user/remote_share

after making a remote_share folder on any disk you want

Thanks! So I succeeded in changing to Music. I bet I had case wrong at some point.

On the mount command, I have a directory in /mnt named remote_share. I entered:

mount -t cifs -o user=roger,password=1316 //10.0.0.1/tp-share/sda1 /mnt/remote_share

and I get no such device or address exists.

I go check on the upgrade process, and see if I can get that diagnostics file.

First...I REALLY appreciate all of your help.

Tried to find Tools/Diagnostics. That must be in V6,. No Diagnostics on my 5.0.6 server. I did find System Log.

Another interesting point, I did click the Log button in right corner of the Utils page, and found this in the log:

/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/syslog

Dec 31 06:12:02 Tower kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -6

Dec 31 06:12:02 Tower kernel: CIFS: the value of the unc= mount option does not match the device string. Using the unc= option for now. In 3.10, that option will be ignored and the contents of the device string will be used instead. (\10.0.0.1 p-share != \10.0.0.1TP-SHARE)

Dec 31 06:12:02 Tower kernel: CIFS: the value of the prefixpath= mount option does not match the device string. Using the prefixpath= option for now. In 3.10, that option will be ignored and the contents of the device string will be used instead.(sda1 != SDA1)

It looks like it is not seeing my t when I enter tp-share. And on sda1, it looks like there is a case problem.  The sda1 is in lower case when viewed from Windows, as noted in my linked picture earlier. As well, / missing.

Off to go find instructions for V6 now.

Well, I thought I had a 64bit board and cpu, but I guess I need to investigate.

The instructs say:

Login or Telnet into your unRAID console

Type "grep --color lm /proc/cpuinfo" (type it without the quotes; color is preceded by 2 hyphens)

Look for lm in the CPU flags listed

If it is there, it is 64-bit capable. If it is not, sorry, you need new hardware!

So I typed:

grep --color lm /proc/cpuinfo

in the command line, I get no response at all.

I guess I can't upgrade to V6.

I appreciate all the help I received here.

I guess V6 is a no go on this server.

I see no 'diagnostics' to run regarding the performance issue. I don't think it was this slow in the past. It IS an old PC. Maybe it was this slow.

I did finally succeed in creating the share to the drive on the router. I finally tried creating it using just sda1, dropping tp-share from the name altogether, and that worked.