Unraid keeps not showing up in the Network folder on Windows 10

jakebake

Hey everyone! I tried searching for this but can't seem to find the answer. Unraid os 6 sometimes will show up in the network folder on Windows 10 but the past day it will not show up. It has done this before in the past with older version and I just upgrading it about 2 days ago to os 6. What is the problem? Is there anyway to fix this? I am on version 6.1.6

Thanks

Just confirming that I have the exact same issue. I have about 6 computers on my network, two of which use Windows 10. The Windows 10 machines were fine until the recent update. Now unRAID is not visible to the network. If I try //TOWER, I will get access occasionally (sometimes an error, sometimes a password is needed, or it just simply connects).

Just confirming that I have the exact same issue. I have about 6 computers on my network, two of which use Windows 10. The Windows 10 machines were fine until the recent update. Now unRAID is not visible to the network. If I try //TOWER, I will get access occasionally (sometimes an error, sometimes a password is needed, or it just simply connects).

This is my experience as well.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I've done all the tricks: cleared generic certs, turned off SMB2&3, edited the registry for insecureauth, and none of them work consistently.  This isn't a Win10 issue, this is an unRAID issue.  My Win10 boxes all worked flawlessly with my Qnap NAS.

Edit:  the thing that seems to help the most -- making it most reliable -- is turning off SMB2&3 on the Win10 boxes.  Instructions here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

This is my experience as well.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I've done all the tricks: cleared generic certs, turned off SMB2&3, edited the registry for insecureauth, and none of them work consistently.  This isn't a Win10 issue, this is an unRAID issue.  My Win10 boxes all worked flawlessly with my Qnap NAS.

Edit:  the thing that seems to help the most -- making it most reliable -- is turning off SMB2&3 on the Win10 boxes.  Instructions here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

I disagree that it's an unraid issue.  My Synology 1513+ wasn't showing up with Win 10 just like my unraid server.  Until I pin it to quick access, then everything is fine.

I had this problem. The fix that Adam64 fixed it...

IMO the Registry Fix is outdated and based on an earlier issue that was fixed by Microsoft months ago.  Your best bet is to try the fix that Adam64 posted first

before messing with the registery.

In fact these two fixes might break it... so you might want to unfix the registry if you tried that (and it didn't work) before attempting this other fix.

Also this isn't an issue exlusive to Unraid, it's an issue with the version of SAMBA that is currently distributed with unRAID that causes incompatability issues with Windows 10.

It's possible that when we get another unRAID update it'll include a updated version of SAMBA (I think one exists) that fixes this problem without having to make changes on windows machines.

• 1 year later...

Have you made one of your unRAID servers the Local Master?  This could resolve your issue entirely--  Particularly if your server is on 24-7.  (SMB is is part with-craft and smoke-and-mirrors.  Sometimes it takes of bit of both to get it work correctly!)

Have you read through this thread?  

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

Be sure that you look carefully at the sections where you can determine exactly what computers are a part of your SMB network from the computers  that are having the issue.  

Also double check that all SMB resource references have the same name and that you use CAPITAL letters when you name them.  Capitalization is a big deal when one in dealing with combined Windows and Linux/UNIX OS operations because Windows ignores it and Linux/Unix honors it.  Thus, Test.txt and test.txt are the same file to Windows and two different files to Linux/UNIX.  How SMB resolves this issue is a real headache!   

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but if any of you are running PiHole, it will screw with your computer's ability to resolve local names if PiHole isn't running your DHCP (If PiHole isn't in charge of DHCP, it won't be able to resolve local names, and any device that uses PiHole for DNS will not be able to resolve local names).

It can't be DNS, it's never DNS... It was DNS...

• 2 months later...

Just a quick note that there is anther solution to this problem without enabling SMB1. Microsoft has replaced SMB with "Function Discovery" (in a manner of speaking) and there is a daemon / script that enables that for Linux.

I have "Instructions" in the thread here:

forums.unraid.net/topic/82765-solved-windows-network-working-with-no-smb1/ 

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Sooo I'm been reading all that I found on this on here for 4 hours an tried to implement all of this I did the regedit hack did not work tried the script did not get it to work I'm to much of a noob and the problem is no server in network folder my previously mounted network drives all work in win 10 but i cant access my unmounted shares (no server in network) worked fine a few days ago I'm lost don't know what to do help pleas

Yeeeeeee I'm a totally new (stupid) noob   my Linux experience 2 weeks of totally working unraid  

Read the first few pages of this thread.  Be sure that you Unraid server is the Local Master.  Be sure that the Workgoup names match on the server and on the Windows client. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/

You can also try to access the server with the IP address by entering it in address bar of Windows Explorer as   \\192.168.1.252  

Also make sure that these are turned on:

image.png.1be4edbed7e5cf32d84f45b1dfb488de.png

and this:

image.png.8c66853972569ec9687bd1e1cbffd9a1.png

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 4:58 AM, AMDKilla said:

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but if any of you are running PiHole, it will screw with your computer's ability to resolve local names if PiHole isn't running your DHCP (If PiHole isn't in charge of DHCP, it won't be able to resolve local names, and any device that uses PiHole for DNS will not be able to resolve local names).

It can't be DNS, it's never DNS... It was DNS...

Any solution to this in PiHole? Other than trasnferring DHCP to pihole? Anyway to manually map the unraid server on network.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2016 at 12:11 PM, Adam64 said:

You can make it show up by typing \\YOURNASNAMEHERE\ in Windows Explorer, then add it to quick access.

Thanks!  That worked like a charm :) after spending some time with other settings.  It did also prompt me for a login - which I used my Windows10 user account details (hosted on my unraid) and it worked.