unRAID 6.2 - Screenshot Dual Parity support

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully we will get to see it shortly now new years is over. Any updates Jonp?

I know when it's coming. Soon  ;D

Nah, it'll be ages, got to iron out the bugs so we can all have 7 gamers on one machine first...  ;D

Bugs? Maybe it's time for the exterminators to clean out their office if they have a problem with bugs  ;D

I have the mainboard for 7 gaming VM's, but I guess no one wants to give me the GPU's and water cooling needed  ::) Or maybe I could manage to get someone to give it to me...  :-* :-*

Don't you think Parity feature is becoming useless as hard drive size getting bigger overtime?

I wonder if what he was meaning is that with hard drives becoming so much bigger a normal (Non-internet hoarder) user could just buy a couple of 8TB HDs and then have a complete copy of all their data synced between both drives? That of course assumes that data will not get bigger in time which we know won't happen. If we have the space we will find a use for it! Which in turn makes dual parity a big bonus because it will take longer to rebuild the data from a failed drive which could lead to another drive failing at the time of rebuild. Speaking of which, I wonder how unRAID will handle a second failed HD while a rebuild is taking place???

Also as hard drives get larger the chances of bit errors increase,  thus nearly requiring dual parity. Theres a lengthy convo about this somewhere in the forums, just cant remember the thread title.

Yeah I remember reading this too.  Unfortunately LT seems to really be pushing this gaming NAS angle and not really giving much away on the dual parity front.

I'm not sure the gaming NAS thing is the right way either, judging by the number of posts we get in the KVM forum about getting gfx and USB cards working with passthrough and the difficulties in working out compatible hardware I really hope they have revamped the VM management to allow for the average gamer to accomplish what they're selling otherwise this could really backfire IMHO..

I cant really blame them for going that route. It's cheap pubicity and great marketing. Razzle Dazzle sells. Tech nity grity doesnt.

Only if it works....

The average gamer may not want to get down and dirty with XML config and messing around trying to get passthrough working...

And then, they find their hardware is incompatible or doesn't play nice, that ends up reflecting badly on Unraid.

Me, well I find it kind of enjoyable, but that isn't necessarily true of everyone..

I cant really blame them for going that route. It's cheap pubicity and great marketing. Razzle Dazzle sells. Tech nity grity doesnt.

Only if it works....

The average gamer may not want to get down and dirty with XML config and messing around trying to get passthrough working...

And then, they find their hardware is incompatible or doesn't play nice, that ends up reflecting badly on Unraid.

Me, well I find it kind of enjoyable, but that isn't necessarily true of everyone..

And I sort of get the impression there are some coming into this as a result of these videos who aren't really that interested in a NAS and just want an easy way to get multiple gaming VMs going on their hardware.

I'm with CHBMB on the issues. I'm a tinkerer. I came here because of the gaming nas idea only. This then got me looking more into data protection.

I have since installed many dockers, edited vm xml files and got things working not officially supported by unraid such as my nvme drive.

I can see 6.2 helping from linustechtips videos but a few things could still do with being more easy.

One example of that would be that 6.2 supports selecting a pci device to pass through in a gui form. It doesn't however give a way to add certain devices to the boot to prevent unraid using it. This I believe is needed to use the form mentioned above.

That is something I would like to see. I would also love to see an advanced kvm option to allow the changing of the writeback and io settings on a disk image.

Small things that may make things easier for other. Its an easy way to hit a large audience but I think LT could do with a larger team for issues

It may bring people that want to help things get better such as myself. It may also bring a flood of people that don't want issues they just want things to "work" first time.

It's going to be interesting for a while

Regards,

Jamie

Only if it works....

And I sort of get the impression there are some coming into this as a result of these videos who aren't really that interested in a NAS and just want an easy way to get multiple gaming VMs going on their hardware.

I'm sure there are, pretty sure I've seen them...  I just hope LT have really revamped the VM management for 6.2 because otherwise I think they're selling a product that looks a lot easier to setup than it actually is.  Can only leave people disgruntled and not only will they not recommend Unraid but leave them more likely to do exactly the opposite.. :-\

I'm sure there are, pretty sure I've seen them...  I just hope LT have really revamped the VM management for 6.2 because otherwise I think they're selling a product that looks a lot easier to setup than it actually is.  Can only leave people disgruntled and not only will they not recommend Unraid but leave them more likely to do exactly the opposite.. :-\

shhhhh, you want to see 6.2 this year right???  ;D

shhhhh, you want to see 6.2 this year right???  ;D

lol, I'm not sure that anything we say makes a jot of difference to soonTM

Only if it works....

Agreed. I have used unraid a bit in the past, but with FreeNAS, Open Media Vault, Rockstor, xpenology, etc out there as Free (non paid) Home NAS software, I think they have found the perfect way to stay relevant and profitable in this market. Could you imagine only needing a single server hidden in a closet to power and manage your digital life at home? Streaming games to your TV from it, photos from your phone save to it, run your own home voip service, stream a desktop to your TV or Dumb Terminal (the industry is headed back this way, even at the home), amongst millions of other uses. And the only thing the "regular non-technical" user has to worry about is potentially losing an easily replaceable drive, without data loss.

My desktop PC is an overbuilt Intel Haswell-E 6-core processor with 64gb of ddr4 memory, and a GTX980 video card, and over the course of 6 months I never had it using even half of its capabilities, so unraid 6 with a Win 10 VM and GPU passthrough was perfect for my home usage. I had used various flavors of Linux+kvm to accomplish this before, and as an extremely advanced Linux user of 20+ years, I found it cumbersome and and unintuitive for the general user , Unraid 6 brings all of this to the masses, with a decent gui, support, and price. You'll see much much more of this in the coming years.