unRAID 6.2 - Screenshot Dual Parity support

A useful explanation of dual (or P+Q) parity protection. It is the same algorithm used in RAID6 - although RAID6 stripes the data while unRAID keeps parity data on dedicated disks.

DUAL PARITY EXPLANATION

Is this the implementation that unRaid is using? I seem to remember a discussion about a few different ways of accomplishing dual parity, with the upshot being that Tom may be writing his own instead of using (or licensing) an existing (possibly copyrighted) schema.
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in this thread concern about unraid moving towards favoring a gaming OS. Maybe put up a poll and take a vote on if this is what users really want.

I feel that their is a need for a separate "I want to be just like Linus" subforum.  ::)

If the Linus stuff bothers you, think of it like Formula One racing. A lot of the automotive technology we take for granted today was originally invented for racing.  If they hadn't pushed the envelope there, we might not have disc brakes or traction control today.

So let Limetech spend a few cycles improving 10G SMB speed and building 7-way gaming VMs, I'm sure it will help the rest of us at some point.

...having said that, I *am* a little surprised we haven't seen 6.2 yet  :-\

I read in this thread concern about unraid moving towards favoring a gaming OS. Maybe put up a poll and take a vote on if this is what users really want.

I feel that their is a need for a separate "I want to be just like Linus" subforum.  ::)

If the Linus stuff bothers you, think of it like Formula One racing. A lot of the automotive technology we take for granted today was originally invented for racing.  If they hadn't pushed the envelope there, we might not have disc brakes or traction control today.

So let Limetech spend a few cycles improving 10G SMB speed and building 7-way gaming VMs, I'm sure it will help the rest of us at some point.

...having said that, I *am* a little surprised we haven't seen 6.2 yet  :-\

I'm sure 6.2 will be soon ™.

Don't worry, it hasn't approached the 1 year behind the budgeted timeline of the 6.0 release date fiasco level. So you still have time to wait before it gets bad.

A useful explanation of dual (or P+Q) parity protection. It is the same algorithm used in RAID6 - although RAID6 stripes the data while unRAID keeps parity data on dedicated disks.

DUAL PARITY EXPLANATION

Is this the implementation that unRaid is using? I seem to remember a discussion about a few different ways of accomplishing dual parity, with the upshot being that Tom may be writing his own instead of using (or licensing) an existing (possibly copyrighted) schema.

It is my understanding that something like P+Q parity would be used, but can't speak to the exact algorithm.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I decided to preclear my 2nd parity drive and now it's sitting in my server just waiting for 6.2. I was convinced we'd get it in January and the drive has been sitting ready to go since then. Now we're almost out of February :(

I haven't precleared mine yet (still getting everything set up as I've never used unRAID until now) but I've been anxiously awaiting the dual parity support. Having read every post I could find on these forums about it, it's been a *long* time coming. I think it's actually fully working and tested in their beta version but they're still ironing out other unrelated bugs before they release the 6.2 update.

Well I decided to preclear my 2nd parity drive and now it's sitting in my server just waiting for 6.2. I was convinced we'd get it in January and the drive has been sitting ready to go since then. Now we're almost out of February :(

I would do this, but I have a question about if the parity drives have to be the same size, or if I can take this as an opportunity to expand the size of my parity?

You just may get this in January ... 2017.

I would say that's a pretty good estimate for 6.2 out of the beta phase.

Are you just feeling cynical or is that your true opinion!?  :)

I was hoping that because clearly 6.2 is in a very long (albeit closed) BETA that the first release we were going to see would be an RC?

Are you just feeling cynical or is that your true opinion!?  :)

I was hoping that because clearly 6.2 is in a very long (albeit closed) BETA that the first release we were going to see would be an RC?

I think we've speculated long and hard about V6.2 with no word from LT at all about progress for a while now.  BRiT - cynical? Surely not.  I have to say I can see archedraft's prediction being correct to be honest, just borne out of past experiences. 

I'm not sure, danioj, that we can classify 6.2 as being in a beta phase as such, as far as I can tell all that's occurred so far is internal development and a single copy of the beta to the Linus fellow for the gaming machine project, presumedly because that project needed some of the new features of the KVM developments that have been added.  Nowhere have we seen any evidence of any updates to docker yet (although they've been mentioned somewhere) nor any evidence of working dual parity other than a screenshot showing that an extra parity disk can be allocated.

Going on past V5 development and V6 development, would lend weight to both archedraft's and BRiT's predictions, after all I asked jonp before Christmas if we'd see a V6.2 beta prior to the festivities and he replied with "Maybe..." Time has always been an abstract concept around these parts and LT are always very non-commital about release schedules.  So we have ten months left before BRiT is correct which would fit the 15+ beta releases we typically see before the RC....  :)

I think we've speculated long and hard about V6.2 with no word from LT at all about progress for a while now.  BRiT - cynical? Surely not.  I have to say I can see archedraft's prediction being correct to be honest, just borne out of past experiences. 

I'm not sure, danioj, that we can classify 6.2 as being in a beta phase as such, as far as I can tell all that's occurred so far is internal development and a single copy of the beta to the Linus fellow for the gaming machine project, presumedly because that project needed some of the new features of the KVM developments that have been added.  Nowhere have we seen any evidence of any updates to docker yet (although they've been mentioned somewhere) nor any evidence of working dual parity other than a screenshot showing that an extra parity disk can be allocated.

Going on past V5 development and V6 development, would lend weight to both archedraft's and BRiT's predictions, after all I asked jonp before Christmas if we'd see a V6.2 beta prior to the festivities and he replied with "Maybe..." Time has always been an abstract concept around these parts and LT are always very non-commital about release schedules.  So we have ten months left before BRiT is correct which would fit the 15+ beta releases we typically see before the RC....  :)

Lack of information and Comm's from LT. I guess it's a case of use unRAID, deal with it. Sigh.

Yeah - I think I'll just let it go.

I would do this, but I have a question about if the parity drives have to be the same size, or if I can take this as an opportunity to expand the size of my parity?

This was talked about enough last year in regards to which algorithm they were going to use that I can assure you this is quite likely not going to let you do that. It's going to be a literal 2nd parity disk such that you can survive 2 drive failures, not likely to be something that you can use to pool 2 smaller drives.