Sata controllers in PCI-E x16 slots

Kaygee

Can we add a wiki section to the motherboard compatibility list for MBs that work with x16 slots and with what cards?

I have found only two x1 cards that directly support more than two sata II ports, Marvell 88SE6145 (3 x sata,1 x esata) and a SIL3124/PCI-E bridged (4 x sata). Novatech have a 4 port (2 x sata I, 2 x sata II) card.

Someone reported a Marvell 88SX7042 (Adaptec 1430SA I think) working in an X1 slot (slot modified by removing rear edge so the card fits in). 

Marvell 88SX7042 based cards are X4 PCI-E cards (Adaptec 1430SA and Rosewill 218).

After that everything seems pretty much unsupported? Adaptec, LSI, Areca or 3ware.

Just a thought, seems a desperate lack of information on this subject.

I was thinking more on the lines of a seperate table, I agree the current table holds more than enough data. I was thinking this would only apply to level one tested boards or above. 

Manufacturer    PCI-E x1  PCI-E x4  PCI-E x16  PCI-E SATA card    Tested PCI-E slots

Asus xzy            2            1              1        Rosewill 218          PCI-E x4, PCI-E x16.

I was thinking more on the lines of a seperate table, I agree the current table holds more than enough data. I was thinking this would only apply to level one tested boards or above. 

Manufacturer    PCI-E x1  PCI-E x4  PCI-E x16   PCI-E SATA card    Tested PCI-E slots

Asus xzy            2             1              1         Rosewill 218           PCI-E x4, PCI-E x16.

That I could deal with and we could possible make a link under each motherboard name (or make the link the motherboard name itself) and it would like to this new table/page.

I will think about it a little bit more tonight when I get home and see what I can come up with.  I will probably go ahead and combine the two "Links" columns into one also.

Archived