New blog coming...7 Gamers on 1 PC Video on LinusTechTips

So I know we don't have a blog up on the website yet, but given that this video hit YouTube faster than I expected, I wanted to share it here now so you could see it.  I will add a blog post with some behind-the-scenes details on this video as soon as I can.  For now, enjoy:

I thoroughly enjoyed that video. Very cool stuff indeed.

The video didn't seem to show in your post so I just hit up Youtube.

Could you elaborate on what Linus talked about a snapshotting like feature in btrfs @ 10m:55s to 11m:26s. His exact words are:

"A snapshotting like feature of btrfs that allowed us to create one of our virtual hard disks and then clone it kind of like a shortcut in windows for all of the other 6 so none of those files get replicated and whats cool about that is even if you delete this file or that one the filesystem is smart enough to know not to actually eliminate the data so everyone can access it. Very very cool. So if one person uninstalls a program it doesn't uninstall for everybody"

I am trying to get my head around what this actually means??  :o???

I am still confused and would love to understand this, Can someone help out with a little guidance?

What I think I understand is he is using btrfs snapshots , but I don't understand how he is using 1 image.. I have tried to do this today and failing, I try to boot the 2 VM's and the one VM will crash..

I tried to use your cp /mnt/user/vdisk/windows /mnt/user/vdisk/windows1 --reflink , but still no luck..

There will actually be two rigs down at CES featuring unRAID.  The 7 gamers rig is one, and the 2 gamers rig will be in the Cooler Master suite where they will be demoing some animation software on it for two workstations simultaneously.  I'll be down there this week as well to meet up with Linus, Kingston, Cooler Master, AMD, and as many other vendors as we can.

The behind the scenes blog post is coming along nicely.  I've highlighted lots of technical details that I'm sure you guys will appreciate along with an interesting cost analysis.  Hoping to get that done this week still, but CES is going to make that a bit difficult.

This is a fantastic showcase for unRAID you must be so pleased, just watched the video and I must say I was staring in slack jawed amazement! Great stuff!

Might splash out and replace my 4 core FX with an 8 core so I clan live a small underpowered fraction of this dream.

There will actually be two rigs down at CES featuring unRAID.  The 7 gamers rig is one, and the 2 gamers rig will be in the Cooler Master suite where they will be demoing some animation software on it for two workstations simultaneously.  I'll be down there this week as well to meet up with Linus, Kingston, Cooler Master, AMD, and as many other vendors as we can.

The behind the scenes blog post is coming along nicely.  I've highlighted lots of technical details that I'm sure you guys will appreciate along with an interesting cost analysis.  Hoping to get that done this week still, but CES is going to make that a bit difficult.

Highly interested to see that blog, any plans/updates ?

Just read this, had to share as many don't read the VFIO blogs.

I'm not saying it's not impressive, but it is also without issues!

"And you're thinking to yourself that the R9 Nano they used looks like a great choice for your own GPU assignment build, think again.  This GPU is known to have reset issues, so while it's impressive to see a build with this degree of consolidation, you should be suspicious about the problems Linus alludes to and the limited functionality of the overall system shown in the video.  For instance, does rebooting a VM require a host reboot, or perhaps a manual soft eject of the GPU from the VM?  We see this a lot with newer AMD cards, well beyond the partial workarounds we have for Bonaire and Hawaii based GPUs.

Personally I would have preferred to see an NVIDIA based solution, but due to the scale of this build, and unique slot and power restrictions, the compatibility with GPU assignment was mostly an afterthought.  NVIDIA is not without issues, but for the time being we understand those issues and have workarounds for them, and even a path for supported configurations with Quadro cards.

On the plus side, yes, this is using KVM and VFIO and it's an impressive example of what this technology can do.  However, when you're spec'ing your own build, do your own research and don't rely on videos like this to choose your components.  My 2 cents..."

Alex Willamson

http://vfio.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2016-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&updated-max=2017-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&max-results=1

Highly interested to see that blog, any plans/updates ?

Yes, I am going to have to break this into a series of posts because it's too much to cover in just one.  Honestly been bogged down with other stuff since I got back from CES, but I really need to find some time to finish that up.

Yes, I am going to have to break this into a series of posts because it's too much to cover in just one.  Honestly been bogged down with other stuff since I got back from CES, but I really need to find some time to finish that up.

Sorry to be a ball buster but I am very interested! Is this still being worked on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...