Steam & Windows 10 Activation

Kryspy

Not sure if anyone is aware or perhaps I am the only one.  I built a Steam Server built atop of Windows 10 with an OEM license. Long story short I replaced the i5 with an i7 and Windows no longer sees the license as legit.

Fast Forward..... Unlike previous versions of Windows there is no penalty for not activating Windows 10. It will work forever (at the moment) with the only downside being the nag to activate int he lower right corner and no personalization.  So for a Steam Box it is perfect as you will never see the desktop; not need to personalize.

Kryspy

Working awesome here. I am passing through an i7 and a 750Ti video card. I am also using Steam Link and Steam Controller as well as a mouse and keyboard.

Works awesome!!!!

Krispy

Excellent, thanks for the feedback!

How do you go with the additional heat generated by your video card in your unRAID box??

You can overcome that issue with OEM licenses by calling Microsoft to activate and explaining the change.  Done that plenty of times for similar scenarios, eg a replacement motherboard that was slightly different to the original due to parts availability.

Yup.  Been there too my man.  It's never fun to wait on hold, but sometimes you get lucky and its super quick. I don't think I've had them turn me down yet.