Windows 10 Pro can't see unRAID Server in File Explorer

Hi all.

I upgraded to windows 10 64bit pro this summer and everything's been working fine till early last week. Microsoft put an update out to windows 10 version 1511 build 10586.36 and now I can no longer see my unRaid server in File Explorer.  I can still access the server web page via the ip and access it via telnet using my server's name "DVD". I'm currently running unRAID version 5.0.4

I use my server primarily for movie storage in conjunction with Emby/Mediabrowser to direct play videos in my home theater via an HTPC. It's weird because emby server has no trouble seeing the unraid server, but since the HTPC (also running the same version of Win 10) can't see the unRAID server it won't direct play the movies and instead transcodes them via the emby server and then streams them to my HTPC.

Any thoughts on what I can do to get this back working correctly again?

I'm far from a master of networking, so please bare with me if I have trouble following along with anything you might suggest. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I just installed Win 10 in a VM and cannot also see the unRAID server in Explorer either.

Some have said to change Ethernet driver to an older one but Win 10 will not let me change it.  It keeps saying the driver is fine.

My Win 7 VM can see unRAID fine.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

I just installed Win 10 in a VM and cannot also see the unRAID server in Explorer either.

Some have said to change Ethernet driver to an older one but Win 10 will not let me change it.  It keeps saying the driver is fine.

Many, many, many threads about this in this forum (and the internet in general with regards to other NAS devices)

My failsafe solution is to simply navigate to the server in the explorer address bar, then pin the server to the quick access section.  Simple, and never fails.  Personally, after doing this, I really don't care if the server doesn't show up in the Network section.

Many, many, many threads about this in this forum (and the internet in general with regards to other NAS devices)

My failsafe solution is to simply navigate to the server in the explorer address bar, then pin the server to the quick access section.  Simple, and never fails.  Personally, after doing this, I really don't care if the server doesn't show up in the Network section.

I know this sounds stupid but I can't figure out how to do what you are recommending.

Could you please do it step by step for a dummy.

I know this sounds stupid but I can't figure out how to do what you are recommending.

Could you please do it step by step for a dummy.

Open file explorer.  Into the navigation address, type
\\tower

(or whatever your server is named)  (You can also use the IP address of the server instead)

Once it opens up, on the left side there is the navigation area.  At the top is "Quick Access"  Right click on it and say "Pin Current Folder To Quick Access"

• Like 1

After some updates it started working.

I gave up on Win 10, too many resources.

Went back to Windows 7, once got the broken Windows update fixed, I got all updates installed using the offline installer.  Disabled all the Windows features not needed and turned that dam Trusted Installer process to disabled, now got a 1 CPU VM with 1-5% CPU usage.  I am running EventGhost with USB-UIRT and webserver to host webpage to have STB IR remote functions that is called by Mythtv on another Linux box.  How well does the Mythtv Docker work?

• 1 year later...

I have had the same issues of sorts for a long, long time. I have several machines, my gaming PC, my wife's all-in-one and a couple servers all running Windows 10. My gaming PC has always been able to see the Unraid Server. But I believe, at least my for case I figured out what's going on. As a pretense, I scoured the internet for fixes for this and did the recommended regedit with changing the local master server on all the machines to false; although I'm not sure this actually helped. I'm actually pretty sure it didn't.

So my issues were that no other systems other than my gaming PC could see the Unraid server at all, including in file explorer. When I would try and navigate to the Unraid server it would pop open my default internet browser and try and have me login to the web gui. 

After many many hours and trying to log issues with Samba I figured out what is going on, again at least in my case and hopefully it will help others as well. The other machines that couldn't see the Unraid server hadn't been given what I would consider "guest" access from what I believe is samba. By default Unraid gives user shares guest access. It took mapping a drive with anonymous credentials to a defaulted user share that had the default permissions for the systems to be able to see the Unraid server. Once I mapped a drive to this user share with guest access I was able to navigate to the Unraid Server in my file explorer without any issues. I was also able to see all the "visable" shares and navigate to them like normal. 

Hope this helps other people, so far I've had no issues.

Edited by imunchonsmurfs
On 1/18/2018 at 1:59 PM, imunchonsmurfs said:

It took mapping a drive with anonymous credentials to a defaulted user share that had the default permissions for the systems to be able to see the Unraid server. 

I am trying to decipher what you mean by this and how exactly you went about it. It seems like you did all of this in the unRaid web gui. Could you please clarify?

I am having an issue where my VM does not see my NAS or its files in Windows 10 file explorer. Both the NAS and VM are running on the same set of hardware. I can see other devices on the network but not the NAS. All of my other settings seem to be appropriate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @imunchonsmurfs

I had this happen about about 6 months ago on my gaming laptop where I could not see my \\TOWER shares in windows file explorer, I worked out this fix and promptly forgot about it until today when none of my other 4 Windows 10 Pro PC's could see \\TOWER.

Step by Step

1. Open File Explorer
  2. Click on Network in the side bar
  3. Type the server address and known share into the address bar i.e. \\Tower\Media
  4. The contents of the share will be displayed and the server will be visible in the network section on the sidebar
  5. Right Click on the server and select 'Pin to Quick access'
  6. The sever and all shares are now accessible in the Quick access sidebar of File Explorer. 

• 2 months later...

Getting unRaid 6.5.0 to show up in Windows 10 File Explorer.

After looking in a lot of forum I found one user that described something that was cryptic, but I after reading it a few times this is what I did:

• click on users tab
  • click add user
  • make up a simple user name
  • for description i put "access to unraid from file explorer" , can stay blank
  • create a password
  • click Add button
  • click on Users tab and make sure the new user is listed

I then went back to my windows file explorer window and after a few minutes i clicked on the TOWER device listed as part of the Network section and it actually connected and displayed my "flash" directory.

I hope this helps someone else since I could not find this explanation anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...