Joe L.

cache_dirs - an attempt to keep directory entries in RAM to prevent disk spin-up

1086 posts in this topic Last Reply

cache_dirs appears to not be working properly with the latest 6.7 stable. Opening a cached share in windows exploder almost always lights up a drive on the array which delays the display of folders until its spun up. I've tried adjusting "Cache pressure of directories on system" from 10 to 1 but no change in behavior.

logs attached

tower-diagnostics-20190523-1807.zip

I'm new with this plugin and just set it up. Is it possible that using this plugin will prevent dockers to spin disks randomly?

I'm having a bit of an issue with the Transmission docker. 

On 5/24/2019 at 9:27 PM, gacpac said:

I'm new with this plugin and just set it up. Is it possible that using this plugin will prevent dockers to spin disks randomly?

I'm having a bit of an issue with the Transmission docker. 

Go to User Shares, Compute All, post screenshot.

Go to User Shares, Compute All, post screenshot.
Sorry for the late reply. I fixed it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

On 5/23/2019 at 11:13 AM, interwebtech said:

cache_dirs appears to not be working properly with the latest 6.7 stable. Opening a cached share in windows exploder almost always lights up a drive on the array which delays the display of folders until its spun up. I've tried adjusting "Cache pressure of directories on system" from 10 to 1 but no change in behavior.

logs attached

tower-diagnostics-20190523-1807.zipUnavailable

i'm not using windows, however i'm also seeing drives spin up when i would not expect them to. in your case i'd guess Explorer is trying to read some file metadata (thumbnails for picture files, etc) which cache_dirs cannot help with.

in my case i _suspect_ it's sonarr/radarr running in Docker containers doing the same thing as the spin-ups appear to coincide with either app starting a library scan, as well as the Settings > Media Management > File Management > Analyze Video Files option being enabled... hopefully i'll have time to debug further soon.

edit:

duplicate episodes/movies were my issue - on each scan the duplicate was found and it was scanned for metadata during the process to compare it with the existing episode/movie to see if it should be replaced. once the dupes were removed there was no comparison to be made and the disks do not spin up.

Edited by harleywastaken
additional info

How can I test if the cache plugin is working as supposed to?

If the drive is not spinning and the cache is working. I should be able to browse my shares. At least the top folder, right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, gacpac said:

If the drive is not spinning and the cache is working. I should be able to browse my shares. At least the top folder, right?

Depends on your definition of browse. If you mean list the file names, yes.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:13 PM, interwebtech said:

logs attached

tower-diagnostics-20190523-1807.zip 159.48 kB · 1 download

Its working for me on unRaid 6.7.0. I tried accessing a folder on my disk2 both from windows, unRaid itself, in both cases both user and disk share. Disk didn't spin up. I'm filled up at the moment, so I probably don't investigate much, but if you want to supply logs, if it is to be useful, the logs from cache-dirs are needed Cache_dirs has a command to collect them. It would be awesome it that could somehow be collected automatically by unRaid, for instance by some kind of plugin-event. I assume that is not possible, but if it is, let me know. If not, it might make sense to ask Tom @ Limetech if that is a reasonable feature to add. Maybe you feel like doing that interwebtech, or tell me where to post?

Best Alex

Posted (edited)

Before updating to 6.7.1 I run the update assistant and I get the following:

Checking for plugin compatibility
Issue Found: dynamix.cache.dirs.plg is not known to Community Applications. Compatibility for this plugin CANNOT be determined and it may cause you issues.

I have the latest cache dirs version (2018.12.04).

Does anyone have problems with cache dirs and 6.7.1? 

Edited by papnikol

Hmm, its just an annoying warning, putting a scare into users.

Unfortunately some GitHub merge stuff went badly between my developing fork and the Community app version by Bergware. Hence the warning, I think. If asked Bergware if he'll fix it, or if perhaps we should switch community apps to this repo.

It works fine on unRaid 6.7.1

9 hours ago, Alex R. Berg said:

Hmm, its just an annoying warning, putting a scare into users.

Unfortunately some GitHub merge stuff went badly between my developing fork and the Community app version by Bergware. Hence the warning, I think. If asked Bergware if he'll fix it, or if perhaps we should switch community apps to this repo.

It works fine on unRaid 6.7.1

Thanks for your response,

I though so, I just wanted to double check