jeffery30162

Clustering unRAID?

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

hi, I am wondering if it is possible to setup a scalable cluster with multiple nodes and then use that to install unRaid to take advantage of the clusters full processing power?

hi, I am wondering if it is possible to setup a scalable cluster with multiple nodes and then use that to install unRaid to take advantage of the clusters full processing power?

to the best of my knowledge this is not possible

but can I get an example of what you plan to accomplish if you could?

to the best of my knowledge this is not possible

but can I get an example of what you plan to accomplish if you could?

From a hypothetical stand point, I'm pretty sure this is possible.... but having said that... I have no idea how to do it.

Gonna have to follow this thread in hopes it gets more active. I wanted to do the same thing with plex a while back and harness the transcoding power of multiple boxes but received the same replies as the OP about not really possible. Would love to see unRAID have a feature to cluster multiple boxes as a processing node.

Gonna have to follow this thread in hopes it gets more active. I wanted to do the same thing with plex a while back and harness the transcoding power of multiple boxes but received the same replies as the OP about not really possible. Would love to see unRAID have a feature to cluster multiple boxes as a processing node.

Not on the roadmap. Handling compute aggregation between disparate systems for real time applications like transcoding over a 1gbps network is unrealistic and frankly, not something I would imagine most consumers would leverage. This is more of an enterprise feature.

I didn't mean LT would do anything to cluster, I was referring anyone else who comes up with something. For instance with PLEX, their developers have no desire to make it easier to run multiple PLEX servers but some wild members have started to code their own add in to do just that. So you never know what kind of coders are hiding in the unRAID community that might be working on a crazy thing such as this :)

Having one unRAID server act as a master and slave other servers user shares might be useful.

So when one server is at capacity, you can slave a second/third etc with concatenation of user shares performed by the master.

I'm interested in the EXACT thing. If it can't be done then i'm forced to go with Centos to Cluster all my data center future add ons.

I'm aware of a couple remote transcoding projects for Plex where one instance of Plex is master and the others work as slaves. Why not just get a couple boxes that are good at transcoding with your favorite distro to run as slaves?
I had planned on doing something similar with a few cheap dual cpu 1U servers I had laying around, but the WAF pretty much killed that project. And in the end, I don't transcode enough to warrant that setup anyway.
Now if Unraid itself could be clustered for replication and HA, that would be interesting. Following.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk