Help creating "Ark: survival evolved" server docker

breto

Hi guys,

Thought I'd register and chime in.

I am myself a new unRAID user, purchased a license on day one, it's got too much going for it, I'm enjoying the unRAID experience so far...

Anyway, to the problem at hand...

I too started on the journey of setting up docker and an ARK server in docker, however after some trial, error and research through these forums, it cannot be done unfortunately with docker on unRAID (6).

The game server files needs to be downloaded, updated and maintained by Valve's SteamCMD, which is unfortunately 32-bit only, but unRAID doesn't include support for running any 32-bit software on it directly or through docker.

To set one up, you'll need to set up a new VM on your unRAID server, set up your favourite Linux OS in the VM, install docker and run it manually from there I'm afraid.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thought I'd register and chime in.

I am myself a new unRAID user, purchased a license on day one, it's got too much going for it, I'm enjoying the unRAID experience so far...

Anyway, to the problem at hand...

I too started on the journey of setting up docker and an ARK server in docker, however after some trial, error and research through these forums, it cannot be done unfortunately with docker on unRAID (6).

The game server files needs to be downloaded, updated and maintained by Valve's SteamCMD, which is unfortunately 32-bit only, but unRAID doesn't include support for running any 32-bit software on it directly or through docker.

To set one up, you'll need to set up a new VM on your unRAID server, set up your favourite Linux OS in the VM, install docker and run it manually from there I'm afraid.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the help looks like I will be setting up a vm

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9.7.2017 at 10:42 PM, csmccarron said:

I have a working Ark docker on my system with a custom compiled kernel.  The next unRaid RC will have IA32 Emulation enabled in the kernel which will allow the steamcmd (32 bit) to run and install Ark server.

Current Release Candidate is unRaid 6.4 RC6.  From what I have been told RC7 will have IA32 Emulation enabled.

i'm intrested on setting up a dedicated ark server for me and my friends on my unraid server, but i'm a linux and unraid noob, would you kindly provide a how to ? 

On 9/2/2017 at 8:33 AM, Phillip Skoric said:

i'm intrested on setting up a dedicated ark server for me and my friends on my unraid server, but i'm a linux and unraid noob, would you kindly provide a how to ? 

In order for this to work, you must be running unRaid 6.4 rc7 or greater.

1.  Place the attached file in the /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user folder.

2.  On my server I place all of my Docker folders under /mnt/cache/Dockers.  In your Docker folder, create the following directories:  Ark Ark/server Ark/Steam.

3.  Goto Docker tab in unRaid and click Add Container

4.  Under "Select a template" select "my-Ark"

5.  Set your Ark Path, mine is set to /mnt/cache/Dockers/Ark/server

6.  Set your Steam Path, mine is set to /mnt/cache/Dockers/Ark/Steam

7.  Set your session name

8.  Set your server password

9.  Set your admin password

10. Click Apply, it will take a while for the server to download so just keep check on the docker log file.

Once you get the server running on your LAN, you will then have to forward some ports to your unRaid server.

Forward the following ports to your server:

Port(s)              Protocols     Server IP    Server Port

7777                   Both               your ip        7777

7778                   Both                   "               7778

27000-27014    Both                   "              27000-27014

27015                 Both                  "               27015

If you have further question let me know.  Hopefully this will work for you.

my-Ark.xml

Edited by csmccarron
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
On 9/8/2017 at 8:34 PM, csmccarron said:

In order for this to work, you must be running unRaid 6.4 rc7 or greater.

1.  Place the attached file in the /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user folder.

So i did all of this and i get an error message that says " /usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: Requested CPUs are not available - requested 2,13,18,29, available: 0-1".

From my admittedly brief research it looks like a setting that is done when the docker is created.  Any suggestions on how I can get around this or fix it?

1 minute ago, leodavinci said:

Error response from daemon: Requested CPUs are not available - requested 2,13,18,29, available: 0-1".

Edit the container, switch to advanced mode and get rid of the extra parameters entry  (you've only got a dual core cpu to work with and the template is pinning the app to 4 cores of a 32 core system)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Squid said:

Edit the container, switch to advanced mode and get rid of the extra parameters entry  (you've only got a dual core cpu to work with and the template is pinning the app to 4 cores of a 32 core system)

Well, look at that.  Thanks a ton.  I don't think i would have ever found that.  The container started, now I just hope I can get the stupid game to connect. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/22/2018 at 12:08 AM, ToXIc said:

@csmccarron  followed everything and was able to find the server. Its only under the LAN tab, does this mean that the forwarding isn't working and my friends cant find the server? 

image.png.667b2cac891fed585461bb6bdf0e45ce.png

but when i connect to it i get the following message. my game is also v276.42 

image.thumb.png.2ae52100a9863f8172e85778453fc22e.png

I would check the forwarding on your router.

• 1 month later...

Can you please update your image so it will get the latest in Ark Server-Tools.

Ark Server-tools v1.6.40 is the latest and your image will only get 1.6.32 and this will not allow the Ark Server from being online and not be seen in the Ark Browser.

When I attempt to do a manual upgrade within the docker itself, i get an error that the Branch doesn't exist.

root@Tower:/home/steam/ark-server-tools# arkmanager --version
Version: 1.6
Channel: master
Blob SHA: ed9c34dca7486cc64880bc7cc3eda13ac1da2139
root@Tower:/home/steam/ark-server-tools# arkmanager upgrade-tools
arkmanager v1.6: Checking for updates...
Channel '${BRANCH}' does not exist

Available channels:
api
master

Blob SHA: ed9c34dca7486cc64880bc7cc3eda13ac1da2139 <-----indicates v1.6.32

https://github.com/FezVrasta/ark-server-tools/releases/tag/v1.6.40

Edited by deaerator
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...