Steam Gaming, Plex and CPU Pinning

I thought I had a grasp on CPU pinning but now I am unsure.  I upgraded to an i7 to naturally have more cores to assign.  If I give my Windows 10 VM cores 0-5 and Pin cores 6 & 7 to Plex why does my gaming stutter when someone is watching Plex?  Shouldn't Plex only use those 2 cores ?

Krispy

I wouldn't pin anything to core 0 because unRAID starts with core 0 when it is doing its various tasks. Try pinning your win cores to 2-7 instead. Also I'm assuming plex is a docker? I don't have plex pinned to any cores and it runs flawlessly.

Edit: I noticed you were specifically talking about gaming which I don't do on a typical basis. Is plex transcoding something and sending it over the network? Maybe lack of upload speed due to plex and a online game?

Related to transcoding and uploading outside my network to friends and family.  Plex is in a docker.    I have an upload speed of 10 Mbps and each individual is capped at 3 Mbps although typically there is never more than one on at a time.

So I have left unRAID cores 0,1 Plex 2,3  and my Windows 10 VM cores 4-7.  Will see how this works out. 

I should add that I am playing a local installed game without multiplayer at the time.

Only one PCIe slot which my graphic card occupies.  Hard drives are onboard SATA only.

I'll just see how this works out with this configuration and see what happens. I think I had cores 0-3 assigned to my VM before. Didn't realize unRAID would try to grab it first.

Kryspy

Related to transcoding and uploading outside my network to friends and family.  Plex is in a docker.    I have an upload speed of 10 Mbps and each individual is capped at 3 Mbps although typically there is never more than one on at a time.

So I have left unRAID cores 0,1 Plex 2,3  and my Windows 10 VM cores 4-7.  Will see how this works out. 

I should add that I am playing a local installed game without multiplayer at the time.

Only one PCIe slot which my graphic card occupies.  Hard drives are onboard SATA only.

I'll just see how this works out with this configuration and see what happens. I think I had cores 0-3 assigned to my VM before. Didn't realize unRAID would try to grab it first.

Kryspy

What CPU?  Something like a 4790k?  Might have something for you to try if your last test doesn't bare any fruit.

Kryspy

How did ya cap your Plex uploads at 3mbps?