[Plugin] unbalanced

As I was looking at using this plugin, it gave me a warning about many files that are owned by a user other than "nobody". I looked into it and discovered that all the files I've added to my array from my Windows machine is owned by the username of my unraid user that I used to log in to the share via smb... Have I configured something incorrectly? Should everything be owned by nobody?

On 4/22/2021 at 8:39 PM, jbrodriguez said:

I see, probably there's a new 'api' to get the other cache pools.

I'll take a look, but it might take a bit of time.

Hi :) Just wondering if you had any luck. It seems more and more users enjoy the multiple cache pools function. If we can help pinging Limetech, looking for api's and such, let us know. Thanks

On 5/29/2021 at 12:04 PM, Batter Pudding said:

Replaced my old post as I solved the puzzles.  Instead a little bit of feedback from a noob to this plugin.

First - I love the clear simplicity of this plugin.  Thanks.  Works great for a noob to UNRAID, and clearly lets me see which disks data is moving from.

1\ The GUI does not seem to like Vivaldi browser.  A Chromium based browser.  Had to swap to Firefox to get it to run correctly.  Maybe my security settings a bit high?

2\ The pink text that pops up for a few seconds complaining about file rights is a little confusing.  Not sure why Unbalance is worrying that folders were 770 instead of 777.  Still worked fine for me.

3\ Why is there no security on this plugin?  Anyone on my network could run this without permission checks.  Means I'll need to keep it turned off when not in use.

Thanks for your comments !

1 - Haven't tried it on Vivaldi, although everything is served locally, so not sure what could be the issue.

2- Yes, it's just a general preference to have those permissions and ownerships, but most of the time it should still work

3- Never thought about it, although Unraid basically runs with only one user (root)

On 5/10/2021 at 6:51 AM, edrohler said:

Can unBalance be used on when a disk is being emulated and during a rebuild?

I need to move about 2TB off of a disk that has an unstable connection which keeps disabling.

@edrohler were you able to do this?

i recently tried moving data off an emulated disk but I found that unbalance could not go past the plan process.

during that time there was no rebuild. i wanted to move the data off the drive then remove the drive from my array (shrink my array).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, tucansam said:

Thanks!

The first command returns a zillion pages of this:

%A|%U:%G|%F|%n

And the second one returns this:

root@ffs1:~# find "/mnt/disk7/backups/." ! -name . -prune -exec du -bs {} +    

1594424381632   /mnt/disk7/backups/./scripted

i'm getting the same result

unbalance stopped working for me after i changed some disk assignments.

new config, parity valid then swapped disk 7 and disk 8 slots.

it used to run through the planning process very quickly but now the planning window doesn't appear.

same thing whether i try scatter or gather.

unbalance appears to be busy but nothing happens and no errors.

i have already uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin.

any ideas?

how do you get unbalance to see more then 1 cache drive.. i find  Mover is very slow

i have a lancache drive..  but unbalance can not see past the array disks plus 1 cache drive

is there a fix  to let it see all cache drives?  or is there a way to get it to see it.  like a check box that i dont know of

unbalance 1.PNG

unbalance 2.PNG

unbalance 3.PNG

unbalance 4.PNG

On 6/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, jbrodriguez said:

Hi, I haven't looked at it yet, still caught up with work and other matters. I'll probably check it out in a week or two, if not I'll post back here

Hi :) did the week or two allow you to look into the missing pool drives? With 6.10 release around the corner it would be nice if unbalance would support 6.9.x. Again, if we can help pinging Limetech, looking for api's and such, let us know. Thanks

2 hours ago, UnraidDuck said:

Hi :) did the week or two allow you to look into the missing pool drives? With 6.10 release around the corner it would be nice if unbalance would support 6.9.x. Again, if we can help pinging Limetech, looking for api's and such, let us know. Thanks

I've been completely swamped with the ControlR app rewrite :)

I checked the unbalance code and it's filtering cache drives by name.

Would you mind following the instructions in https://github.com/jbrodriguez/controlr-support ?

This would allow me to check out how the multiple pool drives are named/defined.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:21 PM, jbrodriguez said:

I've been completely swamped with the ControlR app rewrite :)

I checked the unbalance code and it's filtering cache drives by name.

Would you mind following the instructions in https://github.com/jbrodriguez/controlr-support ?

This would allow me to check out how the multiple pool drives are named/defined.

Hi :)

honestly, having more than one cache pool drive is not a 1 in a million exotic server case but very common place since the release of unraid 6.9.x many moons ago.

If you find the time to look into this, simply add another cache pool drive (doesn't even need to be an ssd) to your server and you have all the information you could possibly need.

If you don't have the time or the drive to bring unbalance up-to-date, that is of course totally up to you. You will still get my appreciation for the great tool that has helped me moving many many bytes.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

/mnt/cache  -> cache drive (actually, cache pool)

/mnt/documents -> documents pool

etc

Oh I see, yes I would need a way to identify which ones are array disks and which ones are cache pools.

It could be as easy as saying if it doesn't start with /mnt/disk, it's a cache pool, but I think that would be one simplification too much :)

I'd guess disks.ini holds that info, that's why I'm asking for that data on a server that currently has multiple pools.

I'll eventually take the time to set it up myself, but I still need to go through some other stuff first.

1 minute ago, jbrodriguez said:

I'd guess disks.ini holds that info, that's why I'm asking for that data on a server that currently has multiple pools.

That's why I deleted my comment, as disks.ini is the best way to determine what's what.

I have a quick question. I appologize if it has been answered as I have not gone through the 67 other pages.

When I go to the url for unbalance, it has my disks listed, their total size, their free space, and the plan free space. But this is when I first get to the page before I even select a thing. Is this just a glitch or is does this point to/mean something?

image.thumb.png.4a9aaf9e992748493dba1401cad92a29.png

On 7/25/2021 at 8:01 AM, jbrodriguez said:

Oh I see, yes I would need a way to identify which ones are array disks and which ones are cache pools.

It could be as easy as saying if it doesn't start with /mnt/disk, it's a cache pool, but I think that would be one simplification too much :)

I'll eventually take the time to set it up myself, but I still need to go through some other stuff first.

i have 3 pools along with cache and main array if you need it. Would have to find disks.ini and see if it contains any data that would need to be redacted before sharing.

2 hours ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

Would have to find disks.ini and see if it contains any data that would need to be redacted before sharing

Thanks, that would be really representative !

You should be able to find disks.ini at /var/local/emhttp/disks.ini.

The tool I mentioned before scrubs the serial id of each disk (id, idSb lines), you may want to remove additional data.

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to clear a drive of 1.42TB left on it to turn it into another parity drive. Unbalance was showing it'd take about 3hrs but 30 min in the Progress bar shows it's completed and that it's transferred the full 1.42TB.  However the option to click "stop" is still there. I'm confused on what's happened here. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 1.11.25 PM.png

19 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

I'm trying to clear a drive of 1.42TB left on it to turn it into another parity drive. Unbalance was showing it'd take about 3hrs but 30 min in the Progress bar shows it's completed and that it's transferred the full 1.42TB.  However the option to click "stop" is still there. I'm confused on what's happened here. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 1.11.25 PM.png

There was an issue transferring the folder, check the log (/boot/logs/unbalance.log), it should provide more details about the issue.

Not sure why it seems it got stuck though.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:41 PM, limawaken said:

@edrohler were you able to do this?

i recently tried moving data off an emulated disk but I found that unbalance could not go past the plan process.

during that time there was no rebuild. i wanted to move the data off the drive then remove the drive from my array (shrink my array).

Unfortunately, no. I had to replace the emulated disk, ensure it never spun down and run unBalance to move everything off. I later swapped out the HDD brand to hitachi. The issue I was having was the Seagate Firmware would not properly mount the disk after it spun down was spun back up in an external JBOD enclosure. Sorry for the late reply on that, btw. 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, Natebur said:

I have a quick question. I appologize if it has been answered as I have not gone through the 67 other pages.

When I go to the url for unbalance, it has my disks listed, their total size, their free space, and the plan free space. But this is when I first get to the page before I even select a thing. Is this just a glitch or is does this point to/mean something?

image.thumb.png.4a9aaf9e992748493dba1401cad92a29.png

It looks like you have a pending operation

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced